Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 24, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,716 of 4,488
What are the best amp pairings people are finding for the Focal Stellia thus far? What is it about that combo that makes you like them? I don't have any amps that support 4 pin XLR, and I'm currently using the headphone jack off my Rotel RA-1572 Intergrated amp that's for my LS50 speakers. The reason being I feel that the amp and dac combo in there has to be better than what the Schiit Uber Stack & Gustard H10+ DAC X12 can offer for these headphones.

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,717 of 4,488
What are the best amp pairings people are finding for the Focal Stellia thus far? What is it about that combo that makes you like them? I don't have any amps that support 4 pin XLR, and I'm currently using the headphone jack off my Rotel RA-1572 Intergrated amp that's for my LS50 speakers. The reason being I feel that the amp and dac combo in there has to be better than what the Schiit Uber Stack & Gustard H10+ DAC X12 can offer for these headphones.

Depending on your personal needs, I'd actually ditch any full amp purchase and get a DAP instead. The Stellia sounds so good with the FiiO 15 and also 11pro. If mobility is not needed, I am actually a big fan of the Focal Arche, it is perfectly tuned for the Stellia.

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,718 of 4,488
I use a DAP with a THX AAA 789 for some extra headroom, also for other headphones that like a little more power.

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,719 of 4,488

I was using the SMSL SP200 before and upgraded to the Topping A90 last Monday. The SP200 sounded great while I am all but certain the A90 seems to provide more impactful bass. It also seems to have a bit more overall clarity and soundstage depth, but that could all be in my head/placebo. The A90 is measured to be ruler flat in frequency response far beyond human hearing and its distortion/noise measurements are great. Basically, it is incredibly transparent and that is how I want my components (amp, DAC, source, etc) to be.

My personal view is sound colouring and preference should be done at the headphone/speaker stage or with EQ if one desires. Until it gets to that last stage of the chain, I want the source material to be unaltered, save for using EQ.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #2,721 of 4,488
I pair my Stellia with the Hugo 2 when i'm in the office. I love it.

The pairing gives a lively and detailed sound with great bass, which is exactly what I want during the day at my desk in an office environment.

I don't use the Stellia at home at all as I don't have any restriction on using open back headphones.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,722 of 4,488

Focal Arche, simply because it was made with the Focal lineup in mind, as evidenced in their preset modes.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,723 of 4,488
I prefer the voltage mode,low gain with Stellia.You hear the dynamics,detail and treble of a $3000 HP.Stellia mode is too soft,too warm and vocals too pushed back for my liking even if it's a bit more musical and colored.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #2,724 of 4,488
I've read so many mixed reports on the Arche. I'm just not sure it's worth going for over what I have already.

I guess if I wanted a desktop setup in my office I could use the Arche with my Stellia, but the Hugo 2 does a fine job.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #2,725 of 4,488
I've read so many mixed reports on the Arche. I'm just not sure it's worth going for over what I have already.

I guess if I wanted a desktop setup in my office I could use the Arche with my Stellia, but the Hugo 2 does a fine job.

if you are on the go, the hugo2 is fine. But in terms of looks and sound for focals, the Arche is better, in my opinion.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2,726 of 4,488
Aug 26, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #2,727 of 4,488
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #2,728 of 4,488
stellia sounds stellar with the topping a90 which I just purchased.

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #2,729 of 4,488
I love my Stellia on my Rupert Neve RNHP amplifier. Also makes my Sennheiser HD800S sing.

Soon, I'm going to get the ZMF Verite and the Abyss 1266 Phi TC over the next couple of weeks, so, I'm going to grab a GS-X Mini to power the Abyss. However, I'm never selling the Rupert Neve. That thing is pure magic with my existing headphones.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #2,730 of 4,488
I’ve had my Stellia for a year and say they are less bassy than neutral by a lot.

I’ve found the Stellia to respond a lot to changes in amplifier. Some amps make them sound bass light, some bass heavy. Over the M15’s high current mode they can push a bit off my head due to sub bass. On the a90, I found them less dynamic. Perhaps current or impedance is to blame when matching with the Stellia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back