Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 17, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #2,687 of 4,499
I know I’m keeping the Stellia for closed-back headphone needs, I know I’m doing Noble CIEMs as I wanted a Wizard Edition for like forever for ultra portable needs, and I just need one or two open-back headphones to seal the deal. Perhaps the Utopia and one other. And perhaps the Sony flagship cans just to see. Susvara, Final, ETC, there are just so many to choose from.
Have you won the jackpot? I hope you have enough time to listen to music, too :wink:

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #2,689 of 4,499
Long-term plans. The only other thing I’m getting at the moment is perhaps the nobles.
In your position, it’s definitely blessing to be in this planning stage. Hope you appreciate the journey every step of the way

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #2,690 of 4,499
May I suggest the Meze Empyrean as a contrast to the Stellias. Well thought of in many quarters.....

Exactly the path I’ve taken.

Stellia
Utopia
Empyrean

I’m now thinking HE1000SE, Susvara, or Aeolus+Arya for similar spend.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #2,691 of 4,499
Exactly the path I’ve taken.

Stellia
Utopia
Empyrean

I’m now thinking HE1000SE, Susvara, or Aeolus+Arya for similar spend.
Wow, you're going straight to top of best sounding gear out at the moment. My path was a lot slower getting there, but it allowed me to find some mid-fi gems. I'm thinking about the Stellia's or repurchasing the Utopia's again. I have the Audeze LCD-XC's, Sony Z1R's, and Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT's as notable closed headphones. The surprise of the group is the AWKT's. They are wonderfully detailed, neutral, spacious with a balanced attack. The Stellia's, I would assume would improve on this with a better bass response.

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #2,692 of 4,499
Wow, you're going straight to top of best sounding gear out at the moment. My path was a lot slower getting there, but it allowed me to find some mid-fi gems. I'm thinking about the Stellia's or repurchasing the Utopia's again. I have the Audeze LCD-XC's, Sony Z1R's, and Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT's as notable closed headphones. The surprise of the group is the AWKT's. They are wonderfully detailed, neutral, spacious with a balanced attack. The Stellia's, I would assume would improve on this with a better bass response.

I made a group of friends quickly when I started 4-5 months ago, and they have been through everything. So in addition to getting their advice, I’ve also been lucky to have multiple auditions with just about everything due to two local scores that sell everything but ZMF and Abyss. This has allowed me to move quickly.

I’m now circling back on a few items like Arya, Aeolus, etc.

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #2,693 of 4,499
Does anybody know how the Stellia sound changes when using the utopia pads with it? There is a very interesting article on the frequency graph changes here:

https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822

It seems the utopia pads change the sound in the lowest end of the spectrum. Can anybody confirm this, and what real-life effect this has? Reason for the swap would be the plusher, more comfy feel of the utopia pads :).

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #2,694 of 4,499
Does anybody know how the Stellia sound changes when using the utopia pads with it? There is a very interesting article on the frequency graph changes here:

https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822

It seems the utopia pads change the sound in the lowest end of the spectrum. Can anybody confirm this, and what real-life effect this has? Reason for the swap would be the plusher, more comfy feel of the utopia pads :).
As I read that graph it seems that the Utopia pads lowers the bass quite much and at the same time pushes the mids way too much. I don’t know. Doesn’t look that interesting to me. But someone else might like it :wink:

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #2,695 of 4,499
I found this amazing track on Qobuz by an artist named Meryem called THE FRIEND. The sound staging is surreal on my Stellias, especially when percussion comes in about 1/4 the way through the song. Yet another example of the sound quality these headphones can offer.

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2,696 of 4,499
I found this amazing track on Qobuz by an artist named Meryem called THE FRIEND. The sound staging is surreal on my Stellias, especially when percussion comes in about 1/4 the way through the song. Yet another example of the sound quality these headphones can offer.
For those trying to find this: adding the artist's last name (Aboulouafa) helps to find this song. I could not find it without.

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,697 of 4,499
I have an issue with the Stellia. I don’t like the bass as it sounds not coherent, it is not a full bass. Also I found the mids a bit recessed as I was turning up the volume to get the vocal clearer.

Can a high-end cable address these things? And how sensitive is the Stellia to high-end cables?

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,698 of 4,499
I have an issue with the Stellia. I don’t like the bass as it sounds not coherent, it is not a full bass. Also I found the mids a bit recessed as I was turning up the volume to get the vocal clearer.

Can a high-end cable address these things? And how sensitive is the Stellia to high-end cables?
Yes,but make sure to burn-in first,min 200 hours before critical listening,you will be satisfied with arctic cables signum+ series silver cable,but if really want high end then try the palladium series :)

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #2,699 of 4,499
Yes,but make sure to burn-in first,min 200 hours before critical listening,you will be satisfied with arctic cables signum+ series silver cable,but if really want high end then try the palladium series :)

Many thanks for the recommendation. I will put those cables on my list of potential purchases.

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #2,700 of 4,499

I can only confirm @Asdcreation ´s post! I have both signum+ and the palladium cable from Arctic Cables. If you just want more bass and clearer mids, grab the signum+, if you also want to bring out all the highs with a great extension, then you'd have to save up for the palladium cable. The signum+ is more of a analogue sound, the palladium is leaning on the reference side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back