Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 25, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #2,056 of 4,495
Just saw your post, so of course I went straight to my headphone alcove to compare the clamping force of my Stellia vs Utopia. After going back and forth several times it seems (to me) that the clamping force is about equal, but the Stellia‘s softer pads make it feel like it’s less than the Utopia if that makes sense. My head size is about average and between the two I prefer the Utopia’s feel initially but the Stellia feels a tad more comfortable for a longer session. Here’s the obligatory gratuitous picture of my current setup.
Those Focal stands look so nice.

Also for me clamping force on stellia is a bit more than utopia in my opinion having just A/Bd them. I get a very good seal with stellia. Can notice when I don't - there's a noticeable decrease in bass when I wear my glasses with it. Still more than my Utopia either way.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #2,057 of 4,495
Those who have tried Utopia and Stellia, immediately out of the box is the head clamp of the two similar?

I get great sound with the Utopia. Recently I home demoed the Stellia but I couldn't get a good seal/inwards clamp and the bass went completely missing. I'm guessing the headband was widened somewhat since it is a store demo set and has seen plenty of use.

Fresh from box, is the Stellia clamp any good?

It was for me. I own both Utopia and Stellia (was going to try both and sell one, but looks like I'm keeping both) and I don't notice much difference. I wear thick-framed Persol glasses and I still get a good seal. The bass is great, love it, and I even get great bass on the Utopia. I bought mine open box though so I'm not sure I can give you accurate information about how *new* ones clamp as I'm not sure how much, if any, use these had before I got them.

Here's what I do. I place them on my head and get the bottom of the cups where I want them and then push in on the tops. If you don't push the tops they won't clamp in tight enough across the top by themselves. I do it so they form around my glasses, but I think this is a good thing to do for everyone. If you do that you should get a decent seal. Of course it's a matter of head shape and hair too. Maybe I do so well with them because I'm completely bald—no hair to get in the way. I'm certain that hair between the top of the cups and your head will affect the seal.

May 26, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #2,058 of 4,495
May 27, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,059 of 4,495
I’ve just put my pair on eBay. I know I’m in a minority - maybe only person here - but I don’t find them comfortable. I wonder if I’m wearing them wrong - but I did move them about with no luck.

May 28, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #2,061 of 4,495
I’ve just put my pair on eBay. I know I’m in a minority - maybe only person here - but I don’t find them comfortable. I wonder if I’m wearing them wrong - but I did move them about with no luck.

Were they pressing in on the top of your dome? I read where another guy had that issue. They have foam up there but if you have a bit of a crest there on top of your noggin' then apparently that is a possible pressure point.

May 29, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,062 of 4,495

Are Focal headphones more expensive in Australia? This would not sell in the US for the price.... but one never knows. Ebay is so weird - sometimes I sold gadgets way above my expectations, and sometimes things I assumed to be the best deal in the universe did not sell at all or about half what I expected. GLWS

PS: Give them one last try???

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #2,063 of 4,495
Are Focal headphones more expensive in Australia? This would not sell in the US for the price.... but one never knows. Ebay is so weird - sometimes I sold gadgets way above my expectations, and sometimes things I assumed to be the best deal in the universe did not sell at all or about half what I expected. GLWS

PS: Give them one last try???
In terms of the number of dollars required, yes, but with exchange rate factored in....about the same. As I understand it they are about USD3000 "over there" and about €3000 in Europe. Here the RRP is AUD4500, which is about USD3000 or €3000. However, they have been on sale here (and apparently this is quite regular) for AUD3000, which is about 1800 of USD or €. I got mine for effectively AUD400 less than that because the headphone amp also received "a demonstration discount" when it clearly was not a demo unit (well, that's my story....and damn I feel good about it...).

I should point out though that Resseh that you quoted, who put his on eBay due to discomfort, is in the UK not Oz.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,064 of 4,495
In terms of the number of dollars required, yes, but with exchange rate factored in....about the same. As I understand it they are about USD3000 "over there" and about €3000 in Europe. Here the RRP is AUD4500, which is about USD3000 or €3000. However, they have been on sale here (and apparently this is quite regular) for AUD3000, which is about 1800 of USD or €. I got mine for effectively AUD400 less than that because the headphone amp also received "a demonstration discount" when it clearly was not a demo unit (well, that's my story....and damn I feel good about it...).

I should point out though that the Resseh that you quoted, who put his on eBay due to discomfort, is in the UK not Oz.

Wow, usd1800 is a bargain and waaay below of what I paid. Ah well. Sounds like I neee to plan for a vacation in Australia to pick up the utopia :). Well, once I leave my apartment again.

May 29, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #2,065 of 4,495
Wow, usd1800 is a bargain and waaay below of what I paid. Ah well. Sounds like I neee to plan for a vacation in Australia to pick up the utopia :). Well, once I leave my apartment again.
Too easy - buy 3-4 pairs to take back and it'll pay for your air fares....no, wait....we don't accept ANYBODY at the moment.....
:deadhorse:

Yes, I was pretty happy with my "effective" price of AUD2600 or USD1690. Even happier with the cans. Earlier, I was listening to Telarc's SACD 1999 recording of Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops interpretation or Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. Staggering! It'll change your life.

May 29, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,066 of 4,495
Too easy - buy 3-4 pairs to take back and it'll pay for your air fares....no, wait....we don't accept ANYBODY at the moment.....
:deadhorse:

Yes, I was pretty happy with my "effective" price of AUD2600 or USD1690. Even happier with the cans. Earlier, I was listening to Telarc's SACD 1999 recording of Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops interpretation or Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. Staggering! It'll change your life.

Sounds like an amazing deal. By the way - if you can find it -
I recently picked up the Arche (unfortunately not as part of a bundled package, grrr) and I am very pleased with it. I do not know how, but with the Stellia setting the sounds gets incredible smooth while still keeping the detail and overall signature.

May 29, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #2,067 of 4,495
Sounds like I neee to plan for a vacation in Australia to pick up the utopia :).
Here you go:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-utopia-reference-high-end-dynamic-headphones-b-stock

AUD2999 is around USD2000. Well, depending on what He Who Wishes To Be Obeyed does to the markets.

Sounds like an amazing deal. By the way - if you can find it -
I recently picked up the Arche (unfortunately not as part of a bundled package, grrr) and I am very pleased with it. I do not know how, but with the Stellia setting the sounds gets incredible smooth while still keeping the detail and overall signature.
Yes, I would like to hear that, but they are pretty out there $$. I got a Schiit Jotenheim (and they are anything but....), and am really enjoying it. However, given that Focal REALLY know what they are doing, I may have to want an Arche.....

May 29, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2,068 of 4,495
Here you go:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-utopia-reference-high-end-dynamic-headphones-b-stock

AUD2999 is around USD2000. Well, depending on what He Who Wishes To Be Obeyed does to the markets.

Very well expressed! Damn, these are good prices on Stellia and Utopia.

Yes, I would like to hear that, but they are pretty out there $$. I got a Schiit Jotenheim (and they are anything but....), and am really enjoying it. However, given that Focal REALLY know what they are doing, I may have to want an Arche.....

It also depends what you enjoy. If you like to play around with settings, there are not that kind of gadget … at all. If you like effective simplicity focusing on delivering great sound with minimal cable clutter (hello Hugo2) ... excellent product.

May 29, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,069 of 4,495
Very well expressed! Damn, these are good prices on Stellia and Utopia.
They say they are B stock, but the only mark on mine happened at a mate's place......oh well, it's all patina.

If you wish, I'm happy to post a pair to you (I have a very public profile on a Woodwork forum under the same FF handle, and am known to people in the States who have purchased tools). For once in our lives voltage is not a problem.

It also depends what you enjoy. If you like to play around with settings, there are not that kind of gadget … at all. If you like effective simplicity focusing on delivering great sound with minimal cable clutter (hello Hugo2) ... excellent product.
Minimal is fine. The Jotenheim doesn't have many settings either. Gain, and....on/off. A bit of Eq through JRiver maybe, if required.

May 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,070 of 4,495
Those Focal stands look so nice.

Looks like the same shape as the one on my Arche. Although I find the stand on my Arche very useful, the bottom edges of the headband rest are very sharp. It's all metal design and it can easily scratch the cups when not careful. I wish the bend where the headband rests were a bit shorter. Not a whole lot of room to maneuver when you pick it up off the stand. It may look aesthetically pleasing, but it's poorly designed IMO. You have to lift up slightly, then pull towards you, rather than pull up like you'd normally do on most other stands.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back