Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 29, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #2,071 of 4,488
Wow, usd1800 is a bargain and waaay below of what I paid. Ah well. Sounds like I neee to plan for a vacation in Australia to pick up the utopia :). Well, once I leave my apartment again.
This price makes me cry and longing to go down under too. In Europe where I live, I paid the double incl. taxes and all. But I am still happy 😃

May 29, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #2,072 of 4,488
Looks like the same shape as the one on my Arche. Although I find the stand on my Arche very useful, the bottom edges of the headband rest are very sharp. It's all metal design and it can easily scratch the cups when not careful. I wish the bend where the headband rests were a bit shorter. Not a whole lot of room to maneuver when you pick it up off the stand. It may look aesthetically pleasing, but it's poorly designed IMO. You have to lift up slightly, then pull towards you, rather than pull up like you'd normally do on most other stands.

Hm, compared to the focal stand, the Arche edges are pretty much rounded up. The ones from the focal stand are really quite sharp. But it is the best looking stand, in my opinion, and one learns quickly how to deal with it. I like both of them. Here the comparisons of the edges:

FDD46FBA-FE5A-4EA3-8CE5-453FF0538A07.jpeg01CD138C-415A-422D-A1FC-641563DDB90C.jpeg
7BB96A8B-C518-4AEF-87C0-C0E57064FDEF.jpeg

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #2,073 of 4,488

I just noticed how much darker your Stellia's headband is over mine. From the picture, its almost the same color as the bottom padding. Did you use leather products or is that just how it appears in the picture. Or is that normal over time?

May 29, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2,074 of 4,488
I just noticed how much darker your Stellia's headband is over mine. From the picture, its almost the same color as the bottom padding. Did you use leather products or is that just how it appears in the picture. Or is that normal over time?

Haha, no that is my fault. I used the wrong leather product. … well, or at least one which darkened the headband rather a lot. At the beginning I was a bit upset about this, but by now I think they are worse things in life. In fact, I even like it (kind of) :).

May 29, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,075 of 4,488
Haha, no that is my fault. I used the wrong leather product. … well, or at least one which darkened the headband rather a lot. At the beginning I was a bit upset about this, but by now I think they are worse things in life. In fact, I even like it (kind of) :).

just buy a new Stellia.. You know u want to.. *grin

May 29, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #2,076 of 4,488
Sounds like an amazing deal. By the way - if you can find it -
I recently picked up the Arche (unfortunately not as part of a bundled package, grrr) and I am very pleased with it. I do not know how, but with the Stellia setting the sounds gets incredible smooth while still keeping the detail and overall signature.
Just having a squiz at the Arche (out of curiosity ....I think....) and I notice that there are balanced outputs and a couple of RCA outputs on the back. Does that mean that I that someone else could run a pair of studio monitors and a sub-woof out of it? Surely that must be what they are for, but I also thought it was marketed as a strictly head cans amp?

This price makes me cry and longing to go down under too. In Europe where I live, I paid the double incl. taxes and all. But I am still happy 😃
Here's the cuurent clearance page, which seems to have an unusually large amount of Focal stuff on sale (best have a handkerchief handy...):
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/b-stock-demo-clearance

Current exchange rate is about 0.65 I think so AUD3000 is about USD 2000 and €2000.

My Stellias were supposed to be "B" stock, but apparently the box had never been opened to see if they were B or not, so I suspect that is just a bit of a guff line to save face and drop the price. They said something about some pairs had driver problems and had to be sent back so we had to open everything blah blah.

Make no mistake, it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare for Oz to be cheaper than the rest of the world for any imported products. Exceptional to the point of almost never.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #2,077 of 4,488
In the same club. At least it doesn't show my sweat anymore :)

May 30, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #2,078 of 4,488

Looks great in the images in all fairness

May 30, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #2,079 of 4,488
May or may not detract from the fashion statement that are the Stellia...but this cover hopefully will protect the leather and it does provide a touch more comfort. Came from China and took quite a long time to receive but to me it is worth it.
20200530_070854.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #2,081 of 4,488
May or may not detract from the fashion statement that are the Stellia...but this cover hopefully will protect the leather and it does provide a touch more comfort. Came from China and took quite a long time to receive but to me it is worth it.
20200530_070854.jpg
I have difficulty seeing the point in things that protect other things to the point where the original thing is never seen. Surely the time to put on something that is nowhere near as attractive as the original thing is when the original thing becomes too unsightly? Otherwise it is never enjoyed as intended by the designer.

May 30, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #2,082 of 4,488
I have difficulty seeing the point in things that protect other things to the point where the original thing is never seen. Surely the time to put on something that is nowhere near as attractive as the original thing is when the original thing becomes too unsightly? Otherwise it is never enjoyed as intended by the designer.
I’m in the same camp. No case on my iPhone, etc. It’s criminal to cover up beautiful design and craftsmanship, especially if you’re covering something expensive with something cheap. A $8 silicone iPhone case looks worse to me than a scratch on your phone.

I will say though it makes sense if it’s something you don’t intend to keep for the long haul and your goal is to maintain its resale value as much as possible.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #2,083 of 4,488
Nice prices on the Utopia's on he Australian site. Too bad they don't ship to USA, I would snag a pair to accompany my Stellia's
You are welcome to this too:
If you wish, I'm happy to post a pair to you (I have a very public profile on a Woodwork forum under the same FF handle, and am known to people in the States who have purchased tools). For once in our lives voltage is not a problem.
It is no big deal for me to post packages around the place. Been doing it with hundreds of parcels of woodworking tools for years. (just paying numerous favours to me forward)

I will say though it makes sense if it’s something you don’t intend to keep for the long haul and your goal is to maintain its resale value as much as possible.
Agreed.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #2,084 of 4,488
20200530_070854.jpg

that is so cute. makes the headphone look like winter ear muffs!

May 30, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,085 of 4,488
Honestly, I agree. The Stellia is probably the longest I have ever kept a headphone. I am sure when I sell them it will be appreciated that my headband is not sweat or skin oil stained.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back