Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 23, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,041 of 4,478
I am still waiting on the Stellia headband that someone posted a link to here earlier. Man, the phrase on the "slow boat from China" really applies.

May 23, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,043 of 4,478
Does anyone else find the Stellia uncomfortable on the top of your head?
It's actually a headband cushion sorry. It is a woven one, I have no comfort issues with the Stellia, I just wanted to to keep the leather in good condition

May 23, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2,044 of 4,478
Spent quite a bit of time listening to this since it arrived. Kind of alternating my sessions with the Utopia. My feelings on which I prefer seems to switch to the one I'm listening to at that moment in time - both constantly amazes me but in different ways. Luckily I get to keep them both :D

May 24, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #2,045 of 4,478
My Stellia arrived today - quite pleased with them! Already own the Utopia and listening to this, not that it is in any doubt, it is definitely a complimentary headphone with quite distinct differences but a few similarities rather than just a closed back Utopia.
when i first heard the stellia, it sounded like an approximation of the utopia in closed-back form to me. while there were notable differences, i still found them more similar than different overall. as i already own the utopia, i would be looking for a different sound signature in a totl closed-back headphone to complement it and vice versa if i owned the stellia. they are both exceptional dynamic headphones imo.

i sold my utopia after getting the Stellia. I really do miss it for classical music, but in the end the Stellia is the better headphone, more versatile signature, a bit easier to drive and a tad more comfy. That doesn’t mean the utopia isn’t unique and outstanding (it is less tame than the Stellia), I just couldn’t justify it to myself anymore.

enjoy both!
i don't understand how you can say that "the stellia is the better headphone" but i do understand you preferring it

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #2,046 of 4,478
if one likes one better than the other then it is the better HP to him.....a lot of people prefer the stelia sound to the Utopia sound...a bit wider soundstage and a bit better bass and a bit of an easier listen....

May 24, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,047 of 4,478
if one likes one better than the other then it is the better HP to him.....a lot of people prefer the stelia sound to the Utopia sound...a bit wider soundstage and a bit better bass and a bit of an easier listen....

I am one of those people. Plus I love the look of the Stellia and the comfort too. That said, the Utopia are still very special headphones IMO.

May 24, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,048 of 4,478
Those who have tried Utopia and Stellia, immediately out of the box is the head clamp of the two similar?

I get great sound with the Utopia. Recently I home demoed the Stellia but I couldn't get a good seal/inwards clamp and the bass went completely missing. I'm guessing the headband was widened somewhat since it is a store demo set and has seen plenty of use.

Fresh from box, is the Stellia clamp any good?

May 24, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,049 of 4,478
Those who have tried Utopia and Stellia, immediately out of the box is the head clamp of the two similar?

I get great sound with the Utopia. Recently I home demoed the Stellia but I couldn't get a good seal/inwards clamp and the bass went completely missing. I'm guessing the headband was widened somewhat since it is a store demo set and has seen plenty of use.

I find fresh from the box, the clamp on the Stellia are just about perfect. I found the Stellia had slightly more of a clamp than the Utopia, overall I would say the Stellia are a bit more comfortable but both are still quite comfortable headphones too.

May 24, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #2,050 of 4,478
I find fresh from the box, the clamp on the Stellia are just about perfect. I found the Stellia had slightly more of a clamp than the Utopia, overall I would say the Stellia are a bit more comfortable but both are still quite comfortable headphones too.

Thanks! I may revisit the Stellia if I can find a new set for a good price.

May 24, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #2,051 of 4,478
Thanks! I may revisit the Stellia if I can find a new set for a good price.

They do have sales from time to time. I absolutely love them! The first no-compromise sounding closed-back headphones I've ever heard!

May 24, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #2,052 of 4,478

I would say the clamp of my Utopia and Stellia were about the same, with the Stellia having a slight edge in comfort due to the softer cushions.

May 24, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #2,053 of 4,478

Just saw your post, so of course I went straight to my headphone alcove to compare the clamping force of my Stellia vs Utopia. After going back and forth several times it seems (to me) that the clamping force is about equal, but the Stellia‘s softer pads make it feel like it’s less than the Utopia if that makes sense. My head size is about average and between the two I prefer the Utopia’s feel initially but the Stellia feels a tad more comfortable for a longer session. Here’s the obligatory gratuitous picture of my current setup.
3CB63641-9FA5-46B0-BCFD-7DAAEFDBF8F1.jpeg

May 24, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #2,054 of 4,478
Thanks very much guys.
I was initially disappointed with the Stellia because I thought it had no bass. But it was due to poor clamp/seal. I did try to evaluate and make comparo with VC by pressing in the Stellia earcups, which solved the bass issue, but that totally screwed up the upper registry and soundstage.
Looks like I may start a search for a new set soon.

May 25, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #2,055 of 4,478
Just saw your post, so of course I went straight to my headphone alcove to compare the clamping force of my Stellia vs Utopia. After going back and forth several times it seems (to me) that the clamping force is about equal, but the Stellia‘s softer pads make it feel like it’s less than the Utopia if that makes sense. My head size is about average and between the two I prefer the Utopia’s feel initially but the Stellia feels a tad more comfortable for a longer session. Here’s the obligatory gratuitous picture of my current setup.
very nice setup!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back