Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,026 of 4,484
My own experience is similar, but with a twist. A few years ago I was using a very inexpensive (really cheap) USB cable connected to my DAC. I purchased an Audioquest Cinnamon and could spot the difference pretty reliably; my wife did the switching and recorded the results. Emboldened, I purchased a Nordost blue heaven (much pricier than the cinnamon) and really could not reliably tell the difference between the two. As far as headphone cables go, the Stellia and Utopia cables are very acceptable but I have purchased gently used aftermarket cables and I believe they are marginally ”better”. That said, I don’t want to destroy that illusion with A-B testing! Obviously there are lots of points of view but this has been my experience.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense for USB cables in terms of shielding. Cheap cables are built for a different purpose, but a decent entry level cable will fix the interference issue. The Cinnamon is great, I think. Once you go higher, the pixie dust gets pricey indeed. I think I do hear differences in headphone cables (e.g. between the Norne and stock) but they are usually subtle. What I really care about is the ergonomics.

May 18, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,027 of 4,484
I have owned a succession of watches (mostly Rolex) over the last 35 years and I can count on one hand the number of times someone commented on one of my timepieces. I also don’t think most people can wrap their head around the cost of Stellias or other upscale headphones. My friends and relatives don’t notice my headphones (or watches) either.

And I'll tell you this: if you put a Rolex next to a Timex designed to look like a Rolex I'd be hard pressed to tell you which is which. I'm not a watch expert. 99.9% of people aren't headphone experts. If you walked up to a random person and asked them to guess how much your Stellia headphones cost you, I'll bet most would say something like, "Oh, they look like they're worth about $200." No kidding. Unless you know what you're looking at, they just look like slightly unusual headphones.

May 18, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,028 of 4,484
And I'll tell you this: if you put a Rolex next to a Timex designed to look like a Rolex I'd be hard pressed to tell you which is which. I'm not a watch expert. 99.9% of people aren't headphone experts. If you walked up to a random person and asked them to guess how much your Stellia headphones cost you, I'll bet most would say something like, "Oh, they look like they're worth about $200." No kidding. Unless you know what you're looking at, they just look like slightly unusual headphones.
Exactly, and that’s just the way I like it!

May 18, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,029 of 4,484
Says you. I think you should keep your "opinions" personal. I respect what people "believe" they hear, but don't sell it like it's a fact. We've all seen/read both sides of the argument aplenty, and its been beaten to death as previously mentioned.

I just can't stand people that force their opinions like its the hard truth. Like you've said, you have no idea the physics involved. To your logic, we would all be buying the same crap.

I'm selling it as a fact, because honestly, to me, it's a fact. Why do I need to understand the physics to know what my ears are hearing?

Have you heard any high-end cables? I posted my view earlier in this thread in response to someone who said they'd never listened to a high-end cable. I have no idea whether or not that applies to you, but regardless, I feel like we're debating whether water is wet. So I'm not going to debate it.

May 18, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #2,030 of 4,484
Did you ever do some blind testing? Try it out with some friends .... the results are astonishing. I asked my wife to change cable a and b with me having my eyes closed. We tried back and forth (a again, can I hear b again etc...). I clearly settled for B. Then my wife told me that she always connected and disconnected the same cable. :L3000:
that does not tell you anything....that is simply the power of suggestion...you were convinced that they were different and the placebo effect with a pill etc your mind convinced you of a difference...thats why one can only really discern differences over time

May 18, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,031 of 4,484
that does not tell you anything....that is simply the power of suggestion...you were convinced that they were different and the placebo effect with a pill etc your mind convinced you of a difference...thats why one can only really discern differences over time
Yes indeed, unless there is an obvious difference. If it's a subtle difference it may need to be revisited 2 or 3 times over a day or three.

May 19, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #2,032 of 4,484
I'm selling it as a fact, because honestly, to me, it's a fact. Why do I need to understand the physics to know what my ears are hearing?

Have you heard any high-end cables? I posted my view earlier in this thread in response to someone who said they'd never listened to a high-end cable. I have no idea whether or not that applies to you, but regardless, I feel like we're debating whether water is wet. So I'm not going to debate it.
you're confusing a belief with a fact

May 19, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,033 of 4,484

So, make yourself a cup of your favorite beverage, pull up a comfortable chair and wade through the 900+ pages in this thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths.486598/

May 20, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,034 of 4,484
My Stellia arrived today - quite pleased with them! Already own the Utopia and listening to this, not that it is in any doubt, it is definitely a complimentary headphone with quite distinct differences but a few similarities rather than just a closed back Utopia.

May 20, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,035 of 4,484
My Stellia arrived today - quite pleased with them! Already own the Utopia and listening to this, not that it is in any doubt, it is definitely a complimentary headphone with quite distinct differences but a few similarities rather than just a closed back Utopia.

i sold my utopia after getting the Stellia. I really do miss it for classical music, but in the end the Stellia is the better headphone, more versatile signature, a bit easier to drive and a tad more comfy. That doesn’t mean the utopia isn’t unique and outstanding (it is less tame than the Stellia), I just couldn’t justify it to myself anymore.

enjoy both!

May 20, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2,036 of 4,484
i sold my utopia after getting the Stellia. I really do miss it for classical music, but in the end the Stellia is the better headphone, more versatile signature, a bit easier to drive and a tad more comfy. That doesn’t mean the utopia isn’t unique and outstanding (it is less tame than the Stellia), I just couldn’t justify it to myself anymore.

enjoy both!

It's quite something getting this kind of sound untethered. Being easier to drive helps - sounds good even with my btr5 on ldac Bluetooth to phone.

There are seemingly genres I prefer the stellia with - some of which are generally my favoured genres.

May 20, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,037 of 4,484

You're right that they are distinctly different, while at the same time so familiar. Most would say the Utopia sounds better. I'm not going to dispute that, but I am going to say that I feel it's more about sounding different rather than necessarily better——my opinion.

May 20, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,038 of 4,484
When properly seated, the Stellia have a more agreeable tonality which works better for most genres.
Also, while slightly behind the Utopia in detail and other technicalities, there's still no doubt about its pedigree when compared to most other headphones. It is a world class headphone at so many levels! And by far the best closed headphone for those who value a mostly balanced sound signature (I'm looking at you, Verite Closed :weary:)

May 23, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #2,039 of 4,484
I also got silver cable few days back but immediately I can feel the difference ,I have clear & stellia so I tried on focal clear 1st,I immediately felt sound was so clean ,I was using m15 as usb dac with pc & tv & while watching youtube it felt like I am listening to very hi res files ,great clarity ,highs,instruments separation etc,while stellia is in burn in phase but the high details can be immediately felt
But amazed @ how a cable can change focal clear sounding great to excellent headphones

Could you please share impressions of Stellia moving up and from Clear Professional?

May 23, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #2,040 of 4,484
Speaking of cables, I've discovered that the recesses for the cable inputs on my Stellia are bored just slightly narrower in circumference than on the Clear or Elegia.

As I mentioned above, I swapped out the stock Clear cable with a custom cable, and I've been using it between the Clear and Elegia. But this cable doesn't fit in the Stellia very well. I mean, it works, but the fit is so tight that the shrink-wraps on the jacks are being pushed up like shirt sleeves.

The stock cables from the Clear and Elegia fit into the Stellia just fine... Looking closely, you can see that there is an almost paper-thin sliver of space between the stock alloy jack-housings and the input recesses in the Clear and Elegia, while on the Stellia, the housings are essentially exactly flush inside the recesses. This is actually the main reason why my new custom cable for the Stellia will use actual Focal jacks which I will take off a stock cable.

Anyway, no big deal. Just interesting... You'd think the input recesses would be identical. It just goes to show that while Focal may use a familial design aesthetic across their line, it appears they aren't part-binning anything.

Wondering if moving up to closed-back Stellia from open Clear Professional is better, or moving down to closed-back Elegia. Or completely away and to LCD XC or NDH20. Both for professional sound mixing job and movie watching in less-than-quiet environment. Please share your thoughts among the Focals, at least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back