Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,501 of 4,499
as far as closed back options they are the best IMHO by a long shot.....they are very similar to the utopia except as mentioned a bit warmer with a slightly larger soundstage...in other words for many people a better version of the utopia and a wonderful pairing with the hugo 2
i felt that the stellia was a good approximation of the utopia in closed-back form, but there were still significant differences in their sound signatures to my ears. that said, they share enough in common (imo) to dissuade me from owning both - ymmv.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #1,503 of 4,499
To me the utopia sounded like listening inside of a tin can, they were off my head in 30 seconds.
Very pleased that the Stellia don't have this characteristic.

Temptation increases :)

That's exactly what I thought of the Utopia during my 1st trip to the headphone shop. Went to try the Empyrean, and then for the heck of it tried the Utopia and immediately did not like the sound at all. Off my head in 10min. Ordered the Empy.

Then came across a good deal for Utopia and although I didn't like it (then), decided to buy anyways.

It is now one of my favourite headphones (which I stupidly sold recently, only to purchase another pair again within a week of selling..).

Jan 31, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #1,504 of 4,499
To me the utopia sounded like listening inside of a tin can, they were off my head in 30 seconds.

I certainly wouldn't characterize the Utopia that way with a great setup, they are quite good overall. But I am surprised that the Stellia sound more open (up-down, front-back and side to side).

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,505 of 4,499
Sounds like a gushing Stellia review inbound! Wish I had the option to listen to these here, suspect they'd be my end-game closed cans. Strange world where the Verite Closed is available to audition in Auckland, but this isn't. Actually on a second look there are some Focal sellers here, presumably they can get them in...

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #1,506 of 4,499
Sounds like a gushing Stellia review inbound! Wish I had the option to listen to these here, suspect they'd be my end-game closed cans. Strange world where the Verite Closed is available to audition in Auckland, but this isn't. Actually on a second look there are some Focal sellers here, presumably they can get them in...

We've already covered them at Heaphone.Guru (https://www.headphone.guru/focal-stellia-the-new-reference-in-a-closed-design/). I picked up my pair to use on various amp/DAC/DAP reviews in the future, that and I had a strong need for closed-back headphones. Truly endgame headphones (open or closed) and I haven't once caught myself thinking I was compromising SQ for noise isolation...they sound that good!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,507 of 4,499
That's exactly what I thought of the Utopia during my 1st trip to the headphone shop. Went to try the Empyrean, and then for the heck of it tried the Utopia and immediately did not like the sound at all. Off my head in 10min. Ordered the Empy.

Then came across a good deal for Utopia and although I didn't like it (then), decided to buy anyways.

It is now one of my favourite headphones (which I stupidly sold recently, only to purchase another pair again within a week of selling..).
So you buy and sell your VC, then you buy it again but maybe you should have bought the Stellia.
Then you didn’t like the Utopia at all, but you bought the Utopia, because, why not, and then you sold the Utopia. After that you bought again a pair.
I don’t know man, but can you see the pattern? :wink:

Feb 1, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #1,508 of 4,499
So you buy and sell your VC, then you buy it again but maybe you should have bought the Stellia.
Then you didn’t like the Utopia at all, but you bought the Utopia, because, why not, and then you sold the Utopia. After that you bought again a pair.
I don’t know man, but can you see the pattern? :wink:

I know right?
Feeling kinda dumb so early on in the year. The only saving grace is my wife doesn't know about it, about the price, nor does she actually care.
*phew

Feb 1, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #1,510 of 4,499

my first impression of the utopia was the antithesis of yours, but that comes as no surprise to me in this hobby. i was immediately impressed by the stellia as well, which is also hardly surprising.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #1,511 of 4,499
I certainly wouldn't characterize the Utopia that way with a great setup, they are quite good overall. But I am surprised that the Stellia sound more open (up-down, front-back and side to side).
I should have been clearer. I wasn't referencing a tin can in relation to the sound stage presentation, but the tin like metallic sound from the driver.
Sounded very 'tinny'

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back