Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #1,471 of 4,499
Thanks very much for taking the time to write that!

Admittedly I did not spend much time with the Stellia, perhaps, 15 to 20 min at most, with quick a/b to the VC.

Back story is I ordered the VO, and when I received it I was a bit disappointed with the finish/build. At the shop, I had a quick demo of the VC and everything seemed better on the VC, especially the visceral impact of the bass and mid bass. It took nothing away from the VO other than a slight lack of airiness and some subtle reverb which I assume is from the closed config.

I ended up swapping the VO for the VC and burned in the VC fully, and used it with a Norne Audio Silvergarde S3. But I really couldn't get over the build quality of the VC too.. For eg when I removed the pads, the driver covers looked like cheap black plastic. The screws were screwed in uneven, some so tight that the screws bent the plastic cover. The non-finish of the wood below the ear pads.. The "rawness" and home made sort of construction, compared to my Meze, abyss and Utopia.

Ended up selling the VC and in search of another closed I tried the Stellia. My impressions are made in the first few minutes (unfortunately?) and I demoed the Stellia through an Auris amp with stock cable, running my music from Tidal.

First thought was the much more closed in sensation of the Stellia compared to VC. I have (had, now sold) the Utopia and the presentation is much more different than the Stellia. The Stellia sounded congested and closed in to me, exacerbated by the forward presentation. The Utopia, although having a forward presentation too, sounded so airy and clear, with the blackest of backgrounds and notes seemingly appearing out of nowhere. Utopia moves the air so fast and without being obvious. The Stellia, like I could hear the drivers more than the music. Also, not sure if it was the pairing, but the more I raised the amp volume, the more distortion I would get; I could get the VC much louder than I could get the Stellia.

The Stellia vocals and highs sounded a bit nasal to me. And bass not as impactful as both the VC or Utopia.

I am a big fan of the Utopia and also the build quality of both Utopia and Stellia. I did try to arrange for a home demo of the Stellia but the shop would not allow.

I ended up ordering another VC and am trying to get a special request in for a "perfect" finish/build on the new set; not sure if Zach/ZMF will even entertain me on that, but I'm hopeful.

Thanks for the back story, really helps and from what you say the cable definitely wouldn’t change the fundamental elements of the stellias presentation, so it doesnt sound like they’d be right for you and you have some amazing kit so bar the slight improvements an upocc cable can bring you’re hearing pretty much what they can do. I also had the utopia, which I marvelled at but never loved, the Stellia have grown in to my favourite HPs, but it definitely wasn’t love at first listen, whereas the VCs had me at the first track and then gradually i turned off them, but I think this is a good demonstration of how, at this level it’s more a question of fine tuning your choice to suit personal preferences. For example I listen at fairly low volumes (due to sensitivity in my right ear), I listen mainly to electronic music and I like a forward immediate presentation, the stellias slight lift in in bass is a real bonus at lower volume giving me a fuller presentation and I just find them more even and focused than the VCs, but that’s just me. And it sounds like the VCs are more suited to your preferences. When i consider the sorry state of the CB market 18 months ago, it’s amazing to have two great HPs to choose from and it’ll be interesting to see if the arms race continues.

cables-wise definitely consider upocc Silver. I’ve owned or tried most of the cables mentioned (yes its a real sickness :wink:) and nothing compares at least to my ears, 4 core or 8 core 22awg with some decent rhodium connectors, if you want the ultimate, which it sounds like you do :wink:

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,472 of 4,499
Thanks for the back story, really helps and from what you say the cable definitely wouldn’t change the fundamental elements of the stellias presentation, so it doesnt sound like they’d be right for you and you have some amazing kit so bar the slight improvements an upocc cable can bring you’re hearing pretty much what they can do. I also had the utopia, which I marvelled at but never loved, the Stellia have grown in to my favourite HPs, but it definitely wasn’t love at first listen, whereas the VCs had me at the first track and then gradually i turned off them, but I think this is a good demonstration of how, at this level it’s more a question of fine tuning your choice to suit personal preferences. For example I listen at fairly low volumes (due to sensitivity in my right ear), I listen mainly to electronic music and I like a forward immediate presentation, the stellias slight lift in in bass is a real bonus at lower volume giving me a fuller presentation and I just find them more even and focused than the VCs, but that’s just me. And it sounds like the VCs are more suited to your preferences. When i consider the sorry state of the CB market 18 months ago, it’s amazing to have two great HPs to choose from and it’ll be interesting to see if the arms race continues.

cables-wise definitely consider upocc Silver. I’ve owned or tried most of the cables mentioned (yes its a real sickness :wink:) and nothing compares at least to my ears, 4 core or 8 core 22awg with some decent rhodium connectors, if you want the ultimate, which it sounds like you do :wink:

Thanks man. I guess I'm resigned to my fate that the Stellia may not be for me. Pity, given that I love its looks and build. Was hoping i would like it as much as I did the Utopia..

Cable wise I think I'm pretty sorted. Have all the necessary microadaptors and have some decent cables in my inventory.

Perhaps if I come across a really good deal, may still pick up the Stellia.

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,473 of 4,499

FWIW: today I received my new cable from Arctic Cables: Ultra Pure Silver OCC 7N 8-Wire 100% pure jewelry-grade silver, 26 awg. So so happy:beyersmile:definitely a major improvement. To my ears, the stock cable becomes dull in comparison...

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,475 of 4,499
Told ya :) and am happy for you it was worth the cost!
Thanks
C4AB4094-6228-48D2-BFD5-F13C3A1F9A82.jpeg

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #1,476 of 4,499
I may be getting a second hand Stellia soon. Waiting on shipping cost quote before pulling the trigger..

For the price, figure I'd give it a shot with my own system, and sell off VC/Stellia depending on which one I end up enjoying more.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #1,477 of 4,499
Zinfonix cable also I’d say made 10% improvement, and for utopia I sold it and never looked back I like stellia much more , utopia might be more detailed but stellia makes you enjoy music while utopia does not relax you as much

I like this description. I might miss my utopia a bit more, but I love how easy the stellia is to drive. It finds more usage this way since I can take it for long work trips with my Ifi micro BL

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,479 of 4,499
I may be getting a second hand Stellia soon. Waiting on shipping cost quote before pulling the trigger..

For the price, figure I'd give it a shot with my own system, and sell off VC/Stellia depending on which one I end up enjoying more.

looking at your kit list I’ll be interested to hear which one match up best with each HP. I preferred the VC with solid state set up which i wasn’t expecting and I prefer the Stellia with H2>Euforia AE. I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on the matrix element X because the streamer/dac without too much compromise in one box appeals a lot, less so the ampstage, so I’ll be interested to hear how you find the woo/X-Sabre with the stellias. :)

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,481 of 4,499
So disappointed..
Stellia deal fell thru as shipping costs were way too high. USD500 yikes!

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,482 of 4,499
So disappointed..
Stellia deal fell thru as shipping costs were way too high. USD500 yikes!

Were they coming from Antarctica? :p

Fingers crossed my pair arrives tomorrow. Not to rub it in though. :)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,485 of 4,499
So my new Stellia arrived today. This is my third time up close and personal with them and I still have to say that these are among the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen. Everything from the luxurious leather box and accessories to the headphones themselves are home runs! After a 20 minute session with them here at work, they offer a Utopia-like presentation but with some very much welcome richness/warmth. More to come, but so far these should fit the bill for my closed-back headphone option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back