Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,396 of 4,499
So, here are my views on comparing the Utopia vs the Stellia … and they are pretty clear (I own the Utopia and I just got my Stellia). In short, the Utopia is the better headphone if 1. you mostly listen to classical music and 2. you have a powerful amp and DAC combo. In this case, the Utopia creates a “spatial surrounding” where you can locate each instrument in your head. It also makes each instrument vivid (e.g. with a violin, you feel the bow touching the strings). One has the feeling of space between each instrument. The Stellia simply cannot match this, the feeling of being able to listen between is there but only two a lesser degree, and the highlighting of instruments is weaker.

However, with non-classical music – I listened to metal and rock for this review – the differences turn into an advantage for the Stellia which has a less bright and more v-shaped signature. This matches better with rock/metal and also low-quality recordings – the sound is fuller in the bass region, obviously, and also less bright. The Utopia can be overly bright with electric guitars, no doubt about it.

Another advantage is with DAPs and less expensive amps – the Stellia performs BY FAR better with the Q2PR and also the ifi micro BL. Both of them can drive the Utopia, but it stays below its potential, and in the case of the Questyle it IS too bright. With the Stellia, they are a perfect and enjoyable match.

Throw in the need for a closed headphone, the Stellia is a clear winner. But yes, the Utopia WILL BE MISSED for classical music.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,397 of 4,499
No problem, @Admiral Kolchak, happy to help.

Otter has a good rep as far as I am aware, it is on my list to try though it's not easy to get where I am so can't say for sure but I believe should be more than fine & as stated, nothing wrong with leather being darkened a little by a good protector as personally I rather it do so with wax rather than anything else.

One thing I forgot to mention in general about leather wax is don't be afraid to put a slightly thicker coat till the leather surface feels tacky to touch, that feeling should last a while as it slowly gets absorbed by the leather over time.
It's also a good way to tell when you need to reapply said wax.
A good coating should last an average six to eight months conservatively, depending on usage, of course, definitely longer if you don't use a protected leather item everyday.

Hope the otter wax works out well for you.

Hope you have a great day !
How have these worked for you? Anybody else using any other products to help preserve or restore their Stellia?

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #1,400 of 4,499
How have these worked for you? Anybody else using any other products to help preserve or restore their Stellia?

I work making advertising for car manufacturers and I also shoot classic cars too. There’s one leather care company they all swear by which Is https://www.lttleathercare.com/

I had used their stuff on my car leather and was seriously impressed and so I contacted them when I bought the stellia’s they recommended to products aniline leather guard protector and aniline leather guard cleaner, which is for specifically for use with fine grain leather as used on the stellias. I followed their advice of giving the headband 3 coats of the protector and then clean periodically with the cleaner. I can recommend it 100% for use with the stellias. My head band looks like new. The protector leaves zero marking and stops the leather wicking sweat or grease and retaining any other dirt. I look after my gear but I have a shaved head so this was a big concern as I know none of my gear is forever, I’ll post a pic of my headband tomorrow but my stellias are in my office. These are the products:
E81839C6-261D-436D-A66A-FA996D28C4A4.jpeg

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #1,402 of 4,499
I think I have heard enough now to be turned away from the Stellia. Not a bad thing, it's a lot of money. But I likely already have something on hand with a similar sound signature.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,403 of 4,499
I work making advertising for car manufacturers and I also shoot classic cars too. There’s one leather care company they all swear by which Is https://www.lttleathercare.com/

I had used their stuff on my car leather and was seriously impressed and so I contacted them when I bought the stellia’s they recommended to products aniline leather guard protector and aniline leather guard cleaner, which is for specifically for use with fine grain leather as used on the stellias. I followed their advice of giving the headband 3 coats of the protector and then clean periodically with the cleaner. I can recommend it 100% for use with the stellias. My head band looks like new. The protector leaves zero marking and stops the leather wicking sweat or grease and retaining any other dirt. I look after my gear but I have a shaved head so this was a big concern as I know none of my gear is forever, I’ll post a pic of my headband tomorrow but my stellias are in my office. These are the products:
Wonder if there's anything comparable in U.S.

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #1,404 of 4,499

In answer to your question, @boxster233,

Any leather based or product with leather should be protected regardless how often you use it.

While I don't own the Stellia...yet...I do have a lot of leather gear which I have used leather protector on which as it says, does make sure the leather lasts a good long time.

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,405 of 4,499
I might be in the minority here, but I more often than not screwed up light leather with trying to “preserve” it. It never looked the same. Think I won’t touch my Stellia until there is a real reason to do so.

@Hoegaardener70,

I would suggest you still protect the leather on the Stellia LONG BEFORE there is a reason to do so.
Especially where leather care is involved, personally & subjectively, I prefer the leather look a shade darker or two if it's light or thin leather & close to pristine rather than it look as it went through the wringer after some use.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #1,406 of 4,499
I think I have heard enough now to be turned away from the Stellia. Not a bad thing, it's a lot of money. But I likely already have something on hand with a similar sound signature.
you turned away because the leather needs care? I don’t care about the leather. It darkens. That’s an even better look, in my opinion. Or do you have other reasons? And what is that headphone that has a similar sound sig?

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #1,407 of 4,499
Wonder if there's anything comparable in U.S.

im sure they would ship to the US if you drop them a note. It’s not cheap but you only need to use a tiny amount for each application.

Obvs if you don’t mind the staining that’s all good, but based on past history I know that I won’t own the stellia's for ever and it’s worth the investment in the guard to protect their resale value. Focal advises me the headband is not available as a spare and they have to dismantle a finished pair and the part would cost £1200, so £40 feels good value. Bearing in mind mine have been used not far off daily this is what they look like now:

13826FFF-FB08-4D95-B079-5451530C702B.jpeg
2A825988-AAB6-4731-A338-6EBF3C641BBF.jpeg

Dec 23, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #1,408 of 4,499
@Hoegaardener70,

I would suggest you still protect the leather on the Stellia LONG BEFORE there is a reason to do so.
Especially where leather care is involved, personally & subjectively, I prefer the leather look a shade darker or two if it's light or thin leather & close to pristine rather than it look as it went through the wringer after some use.

Ok, started the process with leather conditioner. At the beginning, it did not look so good but now after drying it seems to work.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,409 of 4,499
im sure they would ship to the US if you drop them a note. It’s not cheap but you only need to use a tiny amount for each application.

Obvs if you don’t mind the staining that’s all good, but based on past history I know that I won’t own the stellia's for ever and it’s worth the investment in the guard to protect their resale value. Focal advises me the headband is not available as a spare and they have to dismantle a finished pair and the part would cost £1200, so £40 feels good value. Bearing in mind mine have been used not far off daily this is what they look like now:

Wish I’d known this before I got some oil marks from my head. Maybe I can try to protect the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back