Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 23, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #1,411 of 4,484
The leather cleaner/protection from Rooms-To-Go (believe it or not) is great and keeps the leather from staining from sweat, etc. I have been using it and the leather looks just out of the box.
FWIW: I still enjoy my Stellia's very much and am curious to see how the leather ages with use. I am bald so there is not protection. So far the leather is getting darker and hopefully it will even out as time goes by:)

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,412 of 4,484
So, I applied otter leather conditioner a couple of hours ago. My Stellia headband definitely does not look like before. Is this normal, guys? I’d really appreciate your replies .... worried!!!

image.jpg

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,413 of 4,484
So, I applied otter leather conditioner a couple of hours ago. My Stellia headband definitely does not look like before. Is this normal, guys? I’d really appreciate your replies .... worried!!!

Do you know what’s in the conditioner? The leather on the headband is fine full grain untreated leather so it’s pretty delicate stuff and will easily discolour and stain. I really want to reassure you but I’m struggling to do so. I guess at least it’s fairly uniform :-0

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,414 of 4,484
QUOTE="teknorob23, post: 15377967, member: 492458"]Do you know what’s in the conditioner? The leather on the headband is fine full grain untreated leather so it’s pretty delicate stuff and will easily discolour and stain. I really want to reassure you but I’m struggling to do so. I guess at least it’s fairly uniform :-0[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the package says carnauba & Shea, it is a otter product. Unfortunately, the (large) dark space is only on one side. The headband also lost the suede-like soft feel.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,415 of 4,484

It might need to dry and settle in. Sometimes that can take more than 24 hours. If not, might as well apply again and balance it out across. Even with darker look the Stellias are still beautiful.

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #1,416 of 4,484
Wish I’d known this before I got some oil marks from my head. Maybe I can try to protect the rest.

@boxster233,

Never too late to protect any leather product.

As a sidenote, sometimes, body oils can be removed from leather via gentle application of non PH or acid free soap, generally vegetable soap if you can find one works reasonably though be sure it doesn't contain onion, cucumber based soap is generally safe.
Gently wiping with baby wipes or Costco Kirkland Baby Wipes also work either on it's own or with aforementioned vegetable soap though I suggest just using the baby wipes first to see if the body oils can be removed first.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #1,417 of 4,484
It might need to dry and settle in. Sometimes that can take more than 24 hours. If not, might as well apply again and balance it out across. Even with darker look the Stellias are still beautiful.

Depending on the leather conditioner, it shouldn't take more than 24 hours unless you have applied multiple coats every few hours.
If you find uneven areas, simply buff with a lint free cloth till satisfied instead of adding more conditioner as that will only create uneven patches.

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #1,418 of 4,484
QUOTE="teknorob23, post: 15377967, member: 492458"]Do you know what’s in the conditioner? The leather on the headband is fine full grain untreated leather so it’s pretty delicate stuff and will easily discolour and stain. I really want to reassure you but I’m struggling to do so. I guess at least it’s fairly uniform :-0

Thanks, the package says carnauba & Shea, it is a otter product. Unfortunately, the (large) dark space is only on one side. The headband also lost the suede-like soft feel.[/QUOTE]

@Hoegaardener70, If you can get some beeswax, melt it down & apply it in small amounts, it should help with blending the conditioner as well.

Regardless, just keep buffing the leather with a lint free cloth, it will help.

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #1,419 of 4,484
Thanks, the package says carnauba & Shea, it is a otter product. Unfortunately, the (large) dark space is only on one side. The headband also lost the suede-like soft feel.

@Hoegaardener70, If you can get some beeswax, melt it down & apply it in small amounts, it should help with blending the conditioner as well.

Hope you have a great day ![/QUOTE]

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #1,420 of 4,484
Do you know what’s in the conditioner? The leather on the headband is fine full grain untreated leather so it’s pretty delicate stuff and will easily discolour and stain. I really want to reassure you but I’m struggling to do so.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, will try it out. Have a great day as well

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #1,422 of 4,484
Happy holidays all! Here a short follow up to the discussion on taking care of the leather – or better said a strong word of warning, at least when you have no clue on leather products as I do. I applied Otter conditioner to the headband, and as a result the leather changed its color to a darker tone with around half of the headband being darker than the other. The leather also feels not velvety any more but more compact. I also tried to use the recommendations I was given, but it did not change much.

It is not the end of the world, but for sure I’d prefer the way it was before, and it will not help any potential resale either, I guess. So, be warned, not always do these things lead to good outcomes.
IMG_0146 (1).jpg

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #1,423 of 4,484
Happy holidays all! Here a short follow up to the discussion on taking care of the leather – or better said a strong word of warning, at least when you have no clue on leather products as I do. I applied Otter conditioner to the headband, and as a result the leather changed its color to a darker tone with around half of the headband being darker than the other. The leather also feels not velvety any more but more compact. I also tried to use the recommendations I was given, but it did not change much.

It is not the end of the world, but for sure I’d prefer the way it was before, and it will not help any potential resale either, I guess. So, be warned, not always do these things lead to good outcomes.

They are ruined, you should throw them away. Just tell me the trash can you dropped them off and I'll take care of the rest.

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,425 of 4,484

Potential resale? You mad? Don’t you dare! :wink:
if i owned the stellia, i would just enjoy it and allow the leather to darken naturally with use over time
My words! Just listen and let the time do its work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back