1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Feb 12, 2019.
First

Back
83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92
94 95 96 97 98 99
Next

Last
  1. teknorob23
    My preference on the go with stellia’s is DF red or mojo with iPhone. Seamless UI and better dac/amp than most daps I’ve owned. Hugo2 with iPhone is the best transportable solution I’ve tried with the stellias but obvs its a leap in price. That said you’re getting probably the most flexible dac on the market in that its as Awesome as stand alone portable dac/amp as it is a dedicated dac in hifi or desktop headfi setup :) the stellia is obvs easy to drive and sounds good out of most devices, but they scale incredibly well, rewarding every extra £ you spend down the chain.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    kiling92, noplsestar and boxster233 like this.
  2. boxster233
    That Hugo is pricy! How does mojo hold?

3. teknorob23
    It is but i still think it’s great value based on its performance. The mojo is great too and hard to beat under £1000 despite being pretty ancient. It has loads of power and runs the stellias with ease and has a lovely musicality with weight and control I haven’t heard from a dap. It’s also tonally very natural and organic sounding with great detail retrieval is very good too. It doesn’t have the widest stage but separation is good and well focused.

Obvs usage is the clincher because it’s still 2 boxes tethered, but then if I take a dap I still have carry my phone, but if I’m using the stellias it’s only on longer journeys or hotel rooms. Whereas for shorter journeys, walking about london or commutes I’ll use iems/dragonfly/iphone. Dap-wise I’m a big fan of dx220, the interchangeable amps are brilliant and can give you all the power you need, yes tidal is a bit slow but Sound quality out weighs any downsides for me. And bang for buck is incredible as it’s not far off the Sq performance of the sp1000, to my ears anyway.

4. subguy812
    I have spent so much time attempting to perfect my portable game, with trial and error pairings etc. While I do not use my Stellia's outside of the house portable, I do freely move about the cabin, so to speak. With my current DAP's I strictly utilize the 2.5mm balanced and I am sure the 4.4mm would yield similar results. The balanced outputs of my main(daily driver) DAP's all have the power to easily drive the Stellia's as well as the authority to drive. It is easy to find a DAP that, with increased volume, will yield good results, but the authority to drive is an entirely different story. I am sitting here with four portable sources that pair so well through the balanced output. On my review blog I always say I am not the one to be tethered to a desktop, so these portable options are what I do.

5. Art Garfunkel
    Would it be fair to say that the Stellia is an "EQ'd" Elegia? In our proprietor/hosts's review, he indicated using parametric EQ to bring the Elegia bass to his preferred level but did not have to do that any longer using the Stellia. Also, viewing the measurements, the graph looks like an Elegia with added bottom and top respectively.

6. teknorob23
    short answer.. no. :wink:

up late likes this.
  7. teknorob23
    Its taken me 6 weeks but i ended up shocking my self by selling the VC's and keeping the Stellias.

I just couldnt live without their mids, detail, immediacy, imaging, focus and everything else that makes them such a seminal and rewarding headphone ... IMO :wink:

Celebrating the rekindling or my appreciation listening to Burial / Tunes 2011-2019 :):)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  8. Beagle
    The Stellia has beryllium drivers and different materials in the housing as well.

What I'd like to know is....does the Stellia best the Senn HD820? I had that phone and could not get a consistent fit, and the bass varied depending on the fit. So frustrating that I sold them.

boxster233 likes this.
  9. BiggieBig
    Good to hear your not leaving the Stellia club.

must be a weight lifted guess life can continue now :)

goes to show nothing much can compete with these still , if you like the focal signature that is.

10. teknorob23
    Thanks it’s been hell :wink:

11. Kermy
    Received my new Stellia's on Friday and finally had a chance to listen to them last night. Wow! Driven straight out of an iPhone through the Lightning -> 3.5 adapter, these sound crazy good. I've listened to a lot of good headphones and these are probably my end game closed back full size headphones for the next 5 years.

12. Hoegaardener70
    Gm

Get the nextdrive Spectra and be happy with your sound on the go.

13. noplsestar
    Stellia is easy to drive but they also scale very well. You should definitely also try to listen to them with a nice (portable) amp or with a DAP with enough juice.

bidn likes this.
  14. Andrew DiMarcangelo
    /\ Yes, 100% The Stellia sounds surprisingly great out of a phone, but something like a Mojo will make a very noticeable improvement.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
  15. TooFrank
    An old Sony NW-ZX2 also does the trick:)

First

Back
83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92
94 95 96 97 98 99
Next

Last