Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 24, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #1,366 of 4,484
You seem to need a brighter sounding DAP such as SP1000SS, which will offer much better synergy with the Stellia. It will sound more neutral, with better soundstaging. However, the Stellia will still have slightly elevated bass and a smaller soundstage compared to the HD820. So I would say that it is worth trying an SP1000SS, but there is still some risk that the Stellia simply is not the best closed-back for your preferences.
thanks for your answer!
i mean..with the 820 the image is fair better than stellia,while for focal headphone i hear all (ALL) microdetails..but i felt...how can i say...muddy..i need maybe not soundstage..but more clarity..i see in your specs you have sp2000...did you heard much difference against sp1000?

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,367 of 4,484
thanks for your answer!
i mean..with the 820 the image is fair better than stellia,while for focal headphone i hear all (ALL) microdetails..but i felt...how can i say...muddy..i need maybe not soundstage..but more clarity..i see in your specs you have sp2000...did you heard much difference against sp1000?

Well, not exactly. I want to say that the image of the HD820 is larger, but Stellia images well, with a much more intimate but clean soundstage and with good instrument positioning. The soundstage of HD820 is wider, probably even artificially wide, similar to HD800. Imo, Stellia does not sound muddy with SP1000SS or SP2000, even though the open-back Utopia has even faster and tighter bass.

I have sold my SP1000SS already, but I had time to compare it with SP2000 SS and Cu with my headphones. If price is not an issue, I would say that SP2000SS sounds best with the Stellia in terms of resolution and clarity, but SP1000SS is not far behind. Both synergise will with the Stellia, so give one of them a try.

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #1,368 of 4,484
Hello guys,recently i bought my focal stellia,ti replace my 820,but i'm not satisfied,soundstage inexistent and sound too warm
I'm pairing them with a wm1a.
Now my question..should i turn back to the 820 or should i change my dap for an astell kern sp1000 for a better sinergy?and give another chance to these stellia?
Even though I don't find the Stellia warm at all, and I also think they have a very good soundstage, you should return the Stellia and stick with the 820. Sounds like the 820 is your preference. You'll find there are larger differences between the headphones than with the DACs.

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,369 of 4,484
thanks for your answer!

i agree with @leftside, if you like the 820 I’d stick with them, or if you do want to upgrade with staging width as a priority, then the verite closeds could be worth a listen, as they’re the most open sounding HP I’ve heard, still with plenty of well resolved detail, better than the 820 and nearly on a par with the stellias, But if you find the stellia’s warm, which personally i don’t, then you may find VCs on the warmside too. I know it’s not always possible, but if you’re unsure and about to drop 2-3k on headphones id do everything I could to demo them, because this discussion is perfect proof that we all hear differently :)

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,370 of 4,484
Even though I don't find the Stellia warm at all, and I also think they have a very good soundstage, you should return the Stellia and stick with the 820. Sounds like the 820 is your preference. You'll find there are larger differences between the headphones than with the DACs.
Ma Maybe you're right..I'm sorry because I like focal sound signature,but I can't tolerate a similar soundstage in 3000 € headphone..and also low frequencies..I feel unreal..
Is also true that before buying wm1a I paired 820 with mojo and was a boring sound..not exciting..so in this case
the source changed the sound drastically for my ears.
However...I should try utopia to capt the difference between these and stellia (
Somewone say the utopias are among the best around)

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #1,371 of 4,484
Ma Maybe you're right..I'm sorry because I like focal sound signature,but I can't tolerate a similar soundstage in 3000 € headphone..and also low frequencies..I feel unreal..
Is also true that before buying wm1a I paired 820 with mojo and was a boring sound..not exciting..so in this case
the source changed the sound drastically for my ears.
However...I should try utopia to capt the difference between these and stellia (
Somewone say the utopias are among the best around)
I listened to both the Stellia and Utopia before I purchased. I preferred the Stellia. My friend prefers the Utopia :)

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,375 of 4,484
Any good daps and dac/amps to pair with Stellia? Mainly listen through iPhone.

I'm sure you'll get many responses but I use iBasso dx220
excellent sound punches way above it's weight pair perfectly with Stellia with AMP9 (nu-tube) amp8(Power) Both pair really well and you can change the signature to the licking when you want a change by swapping amps

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,377 of 4,484
any experience with tidal and dx220?
Yeap I use Tidal HD online probably not super slick but acceptable to me, off-line content is obviously faster.
When you use it in pure mango mode then you get a complete different level of clarity (sort pure DAC Mode)

I've been told you have to spend at least x2 to get a better sounding DAP had mine since launch and have to admit very pleased and i'm the kind of guy that just keeps buying/selling gear :)

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #1,380 of 4,484
i'm pairing them with wm1a and today i tried the astell kern sp1000...another story...much clarity,more resolving and much punch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back