Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 17, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #1,336 of 4,499
This is not really a debate... it is a pretty scientific fact. Whatever a cable affects the sound or not and if it does, whatever the difference is audible by a regular healthy human ear or not is completely scientific, objective and non-debatable.

There are a lot of researchs you can simply google, and all off them say " no audible difference has been found between industry standart cables". A flawed cable can make the sound worse but all regularly operating cables sound the same. The same audio output is being produced, there is no other way.

Of course utility (length, connectors etc.) of the cables can be discussed but " X cable is warmer, Y cable extends soundstage" is simply not true.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,337 of 4,499
This is not really a debate... it is a pretty scientific fact. Whatever a cable affects the sound or not and if it does, whatever the difference is audible by a regular healthy human ear or not is completely scientific, objective and non-debatable.

There are a lot of researchs you can simply google, and all off them say " no audible difference has been found between industry standart cables". A flawed cable can make the sound worse but all regularly operating cables sound the same. The same audio output is being produced, there is no other way.

Of course utility (length, connectors etc.) of the cables can be discussed but " X cable is warmer, Y cable extends soundstage" is simply not true.
regardless of what your position is on this topic, it is not relevant to the topic of this thread. the sound science forum is the appropriate place for this topic to be discussed, argued, debated, asserted, etc. ok?

back to the stellia and related topics - i hope.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,338 of 4,499
regardless of what your position is on this topic, it is not relevant to the topic of this thread. the sound science forum is the appropriate place for this topic to be discussed, argued, debated, asserted, etc. ok?

back to the stellia and related topics - i hope.

2+2 =4 cannot be discussed, argued or debated. It is a scientific fact. But you're correct, back to Stellia.

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,339 of 4,499
2+2 =4 cannot be discussed, argued or debated. It is a scientific fact. But you're correct, back to Stellia.
the cable debate continues regardless of what 2+2 equals. you're welcome to join in over at the sound science forum or any number of other audiophile forums. moving on...

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #1,340 of 4,499
discussing the stellia's cable and after-market alternatives is on-topic. arguing over whether headphone cables affect sound quality is not.

Who is arguing? Should we set a sub-forum for the Stellia in the technical forum? After spending over £2k on these I personally find the information valuable considering the cost of some of these cables knowing it's an expense most of us will face?

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,341 of 4,499
Who is arguing? Should we set a sub-forum for the Stellia in the technical forum? After spending over £2k on these I personally find the information valuable considering the cost of some of these cables knowing it's an expense most of us will face?
as i said, discussions about cables for the stellia are not off-topic so no arguments there

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,342 of 4,499
FWIIW it is ridiculous to assume all cables whether 10 dollars or 10K sound the same...the sound travels through the cable and while one can argue better or worse there is no question different cables sound, well...different...I spent many years suggesting that cables were irrelevant until I tried a danacable with my Utopia's and found they literally sounded like a different HP...now somebody else might say they dont find it better and that is their subjective opinion and right but I defy anyone to tell me the Utopia doesnt sound different through the danacable vs the stock

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,343 of 4,499
FWIIW it is ridiculous to assume all cables whether 10 dollars or 10K sound the same...the sound travels through the cable and while one can argue better or worse there is no question different cables sound, well...different...I spent many years suggesting that cables were irrelevant until I tried a danacable with my Utopia's and found they literally sounded like a different HP...now somebody else might say they dont find it better and that is their subjective opinion and right but I defy anyone to tell me the Utopia doesnt sound different through the danacable vs the stock

The rules of Head-Fi prevent me from responding here, but if you would like, happy to have this discussion over in Sound Science where those posting rules don't apply.

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,344 of 4,499
no thanks

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,345 of 4,499
Which DAC/amp do you use with Stellia headphones?

I was going to use Burson C3 but it doesn't work well with Stellias. There is too much background noise (hiss).
Some amps are too powerful for Stellias.

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #1,346 of 4,499
that's surprising. i use the cv2+ which also has a powerful head-amp with the utopia and with other low impedance headphones, and i don't hear any extraneous noise.

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,347 of 4,499
Yeah, I had no idea that C3 wouldn't work with my Stellia headphones. The noise is very audible and annoying.
I tried LCD-2 cans with C3 and there was no background noise.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #1,348 of 4,499
Which DAC/amp do you use with Stellia headphones?

I was going to use Burson C3 but it doesn't work well with Stellias. There is too much background noise (hiss).
Some amps are too powerful for Stellias.
I like them a lot with my Drachenfels amp.Big soundstage,clarity,good detail and slightly on the warm side which is good for Stellia and good energy up top and no hiss.The Dac portion i use line out with my daps but there is a USB Dac new module with this amp for around $1000 and i would definitely consider it if i were to buy from scratch.For around $600 a couple reviewers recommend Aune S7 Pro for the Stellia and for around $2000 i would look into CMA Twelve Master which is where i am heading right now with its 2 balanced out,4 pin XLR and 4.4mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back