1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Feb 12, 2019.
First

Back
36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Next

Last
  1. GreenBow
    One point in the Stellia HiFi News review was that is says seal or fit is important. (In the Lab Report part on the third page.) I think HiFi+ or HiFi Choice, said the same of the Senneheiser HD820. …. Just saying.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    dcfac73 and teknorob23 like this.
  2. noplsestar
    Ah ... isn’t a proper seal important for every headphone, especially for closed backs?

bfreedma and up late like this.
  3. dcfac73
    There are only a few headphones that I know of that a good seal has been reported as needed. Eg Stellia, HD820, Amiron wireless. Of course HP's will need an adequate seal but it's usually not to the same degree as these ones mentioned. Usually bass quantity suffers.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. teknorob23
    I found the seal to be effected when wearing different glasses, which in turn unsurprisingly has effected mainly the bass response. For the record both pairs of glassed are thin framed. For what its worth heres a pic. The glasses on the right hand side of the pic adversely effect the seal and those on the left dont, but as you can see there's not much in the design, other than the overall frame being slightly wider and the arms bow more.... This has to be my most interesting post to date :wink:

glasses.JPG

xxx1313 likes this.
  5. xxx1313
    This is not surprising. I even experienced a difference with an open-back headphone, the Utopia, when I got new glasses with a thicker frame. I will take care of this in the future, when buying new glasses. Better short-sighted than too little bass. :wink: But this should not be a big issue with the Stellia, because it still has enough bass with slightly less than optimal seal, imo.

bidn likes this.
  6. teknorob23
    The difference isn’t drastic, but it’s enough for me to where glasses with my old prescription in them .

7. xxx1313
    Yeah, I can imagine. Enjoy your Stellia! :L3000:

8. doboo57
    Does anyone have tried the Stellia/Clear with the SPL Phonitor X or the ifi Pro iDSD?

I own both the Stellia and the Clear and looking for an « end game upgrade » from my Schiit Jotunheim/Massdrop CTH combo (which is not sounding that bad by the way).

First, does it worth the upgrade from the Jot & CTH?

Any comments about how these two pricey DAC/Amps sounds with the Stellia/Clear?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  9. dawktah2
    Are we talking reading glasses or Rx? I use these since arms can be shortened I use them on temple in front of pads.

https://fostergrant.com/store/reading-glasses/gideon-readers-fg

Maybe a good optician can replace lenses with Rx if arm over ear is issue.

10. teknorob23
    Thanks for suggestions, my 2nd pair work, which are for Mac work ie readers that focus a bit further away. My other pairs are indentical frames and they are varifocals, but are wider across the front. It’s not enough of an issue to worry about but when I replace my glasses it’s defintely something I’ll consider. Thanks for the suggestion though:)

11. TooFrank
    I was like you tempted to get use of the 3m cable, but as it ended in xlr I needed a converter, Just received this, don’t know if the quality is similar to the one you bought.? Anyway, for me it is difficult to tell the difference btw the 1.2 m with the 6.3 cm and the 3 m XLR with this converter? Maybe my ears are to bad at this, but it is nice being able to use the longer cable.
    upload_2019-5-29_20-34-51.jpeg

noplsestar likes this.
  12. BiggieBig
    Thanks will check it out.

Through theoretically I would have expected some improvement with just the Balanced vs SE output depending on your amp.

13. TooFrank
    Yeah could be, but the most important for me would be that I could use the longer cable at home. So again maybe my ears are not that good. it does take sometime to switch the cables, so short memory may play tricks too...

14. noplsestar
    IMG_5705.jpg
    I bought the Stellia just because it is a color match with my good old Calyx M :wink: ... btw: it´s a great synergy!

15. koenoe
    Nobody has issues with the top of their ears touching the drivers inside the ear pad?

First

Back
36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Next

Last