Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 24, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #677 of 4,484
One point in the Stellia HiFi News review was that is says seal or fit is important. (In the Lab Report part on the third page.) I think HiFi+ or HiFi Choice, said the same of the Senneheiser HD820. …. Just saying.
Ah ... isn’t a proper seal important for every headphone, especially for closed backs?

May 24, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #678 of 4,484
Ah ... isn’t a proper seal important for every headphone, especially for closed backs?
There are only a few headphones that I know of that a good seal has been reported as needed. Eg Stellia, HD820, Amiron wireless. Of course HP's will need an adequate seal but it's usually not to the same degree as these ones mentioned. Usually bass quantity suffers.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #679 of 4,484
I found the seal to be effected when wearing different glasses, which in turn unsurprisingly has effected mainly the bass response. For the record both pairs of glassed are thin framed. For what its worth heres a pic. The glasses on the right hand side of the pic adversely effect the seal and those on the left dont, but as you can see there's not much in the design, other than the overall frame being slightly wider and the arms bow more.... This has to be my most interesting post to date :wink:

glasses.JPG

May 24, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #680 of 4,484
I found the seal to be effected when wearing different glasses, which in turn unsurprisingly has effected mainly the bass response. For the record both pairs of glassed are thin framed. For what its worth heres a pic. The glasses on the right hand side of the pic adversely effect the seal and those on the left dont, but as you can see there's not much in the design, other than the overall frame being slightly wider and the arms bow more.... This has to be my most interesting post to date :wink:

This is not surprising. I even experienced a difference with an open-back headphone, the Utopia, when I got new glasses with a thicker frame. I will take care of this in the future, when buying new glasses. Better short-sighted than too little bass. :wink: But this should not be a big issue with the Stellia, because it still has enough bass with slightly less than optimal seal, imo.

May 24, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #681 of 4,484
This is not surprising. I even experienced a difference with an open-back headphone, the Utopia, when I got new glasses with a thicker frame. I will take care of this in the future, when buying new glasses. Better short-sighted than too little bass. :wink: But this should not be a big issue with the Stellia, because it still has enough bass with slightly less than optimal seal, imo.

The difference isn’t drastic, but it’s enough for me to where glasses with my old prescription in them .

May 24, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #683 of 4,484
Does anyone have tried the Stellia/Clear with the SPL Phonitor X or the ifi Pro iDSD?

I own both the Stellia and the Clear and looking for an « end game upgrade » from my Schiit Jotunheim/Massdrop CTH combo (which is not sounding that bad by the way).

First, does it worth the upgrade from the Jot & CTH?

Any comments about how these two pricey DAC/Amps sounds with the Stellia/Clear?

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #684 of 4,484
May 25, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #685 of 4,484
Are we talking reading glasses or Rx? I use these since arms can be shortened I use them on temple in front of pads.

https://fostergrant.com/store/reading-glasses/gideon-readers-fg

Maybe a good optician can replace lenses with Rx if arm over ear is issue.

Thanks for suggestions, my 2nd pair work, which are for Mac work ie readers that focus a bit further away. My other pairs are indentical frames and they are varifocals, but are wider across the front. It’s not enough of an issue to worry about but when I replace my glasses it’s defintely something I’ll consider. Thanks for the suggestion though:)

May 29, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #686 of 4,484
Note never use the cheap adaptor as I posted above ruined the sound signature.

Had to go back to SE cable back to enjoying the music and looking for a decent after market balanced cable.

So far my only criticism is the cables provided are next to useless. And the headphones have a fair amount of micro sonics if you take these for an out door walk.

But then I guess these aren’t headphones you want to take out often. I’m just waiting for my IEMs so forced to take these atm.
I was like you tempted to get use of the 3m cable, but as it ended in xlr I needed a converter, Just received this, don’t know if the quality is similar to the one you bought.? Anyway, for me it is difficult to tell the difference btw the 1.2 m with the 6.3 cm and the 3 m XLR with this converter? Maybe my ears are to bad at this, but it is nice being able to use the longer cable.
upload_2019-5-29_20-34-51.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-29_20-34-51.png
    upload_2019-5-29_20-34-51.png
    934.1 KB · Views: 0
May 29, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #687 of 4,484
I was like you tempted to get use of the 3m cable, but as it ended in xlr I needed a converter, Just received this, don’t know if the quality is similar to the one you bought.? Anyway, for me it is difficult to tell the difference btw the 1.2 m with the 6.3 cm and the 3 m XLR with this converter? Maybe my ears are to bad at this, but it is nice being able to use the longer cable.

Thanks will check it out.

Through theoretically I would have expected some improvement with just the Balanced vs SE output depending on your amp.

May 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #688 of 4,484
Thanks will check it out.

Through theoretically I would have expected some improvement with just the Balanced vs SE output depending on your amp.
Yeah could be, but the most important for me would be that I could use the longer cable at home. So again maybe my ears are not that good. it does take sometime to switch the cables, so short memory may play tricks too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back