Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #1,696 of 1,765
FSP overall

Beautiful bass extension. very tight.
Great isolation
comfortable
Can't speak for the purported mid-range hump, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. (I monitor on Genelec, Dynaudio and PMC. Occasionally on ATC. All of these but the ATC have their idiosyncrasies)
Extremely impressive 

However, I hate this part
The mechanical transmission cable noise sounds like it was done on purpose. Great width and clarity.
I'm on my 2rd pair of replacement cables. Both the ones they came with were nearly equal.
It's really frustrating.
I've not suggested my students look at them when we talked about studio cans.

It's the case itself. The headband is just as bad, but more easy to control. 

I wouldn't have bought these had I known. I'd sacrifice the theoretical clarity of the FSP for the real-world clarity of my old 600ohm DT770. As soon as I can swing it I'll replace the DT770 drivers and keep these for occasional detail work.

I'd like to repeat, however, they sound really really nice. So much more the pain.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,697 of 1,765
I've got the FSC and they've fallen out of my headphone rotation because they just don't sound as good as they used to. I gave them another go today and concluded they don't seal around my ears anymore. When I press on the cups they sound good, but as soon as I let go there isn't enough clamping pressure to keep the seal.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that I've got several cracks on the headband near the pivots on both sides. The cracks flex and significantly reduce the clamping pressure. Searching the forum I see cracking is a common problem with these headphones. I only used my FSC with care.

They're out of warranty. Is there anything to be done? Sell for parts? Anyone have luck getting cracks repaired?

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,698 of 1,765
I had a listen to the mojo with my FSP and it didn't grab me too much.

However I've bought the Sony pha3 and the FSP have stepped up nicely. They work really well together.

Nothing over emphasised but just an increase in "hi-fi".

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,700 of 1,765
Nobody had trouble with distortion at higher volumes? Sold mine because of it. 

Hmmm, I have never had distortion with the FSP when listening at higher than normal levels. I have tried many sources and audio chains as well.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,701 of 1,765
Nobody had trouble with distortion at higher volumes? Sold mine because of it. 
No problems here.

And to add I recently bought the Sony Pha 3 (portable use) and the FSP has scaled up deliciously with it.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,702 of 1,765
Hmmm, I have never had distortion with the FSP when listening at higher than normal levels. I have tried many sources and audio chains as well.

No problems here.

And to add I recently bought the Sony Pha 3 (portable use) and the FSP has scaled up deliciously with it.

It must be my amp then (Fiio E7+E9), the impedance on the E9's 6.3mm input is 10ohm vs a 32ohm headphone, which is a sub-optimal ratio I guess? I never had any problems with distortion before though, not with my HD650 (currently) or any other headphone i've owned. Kind of weird to have a pro headphone with 32 ohm impedance. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,703 of 1,765
Hi there : 

I possess those for over a year now and all I can say is what I just wrote to Focal after-sales team :

- : Rather poor arch (arc, branch?) easily breakable.

+ : Everything else. Flat wide and accurate sound, Good after-sales team, comprehensive, reactive. Arc broken, sent back, they saw everything else was in near mint quality but the arches, I got a new one in a week/fortnight.

Sum-up : This poor plastic arc building is gathering clouds over a quasi-idyllic painting. Good enterprise, good products, incredible sound, but low quality on this product. Fortunately I heard a lot of positive things about quality building on Home-cinema like birds / sib&cub or on Hi-fi like Chorus (previous and actual models)

----------

I mainly use it with a clip+ with an NX- amp (improved sound but not a big difference) or comp with NX-1 (there noticeable sound difference)

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #1,704 of 1,765
anyone here have both the MSR7 and the pro's?

Im thinking of selling my focals to get some AT's 

Is the msr7 a more comfortable version of the focal spirit?
Would the msr7 be alot brighter than the focals?
Can the msr7 use the VMODA cables?

I currently own the focals and am looking for something more comfy, but I love the sound on them  :)

Thanks so much for your help :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #1,705 of 1,765
anyone here have both the MSR7 and the pro's?

Im thinking of selling my focals to get some AT's 

Is the msr7 a more comfortable version of the focal spirit?
Would the msr7 be alot brighter than the focals?
Can the msr7 use the VMODA cables?

I currently own the focals and am looking for something more comfy, but I love the sound on them  :)

Thanks so much for your help :)
Firstly, I love my focals.

Now....I had a listen to the msr7 for about 5 mins the other day and they are definitely on the brighter side.

I was streaming using tidal and listening to Santana's "put your lights on" and the upper mids and upwards were definitely too prominent for me. I'd say a little too sparkly a headphone. Maybe a bit much re than that. Hence after about 5 minutes I moved on.

I haven't found the oppo PM 3 as bright as the msr7 in the past. When I bought the fsp I was weighing it up against the pm3. I found the pm3 a little more analytical but a tad more sterile and lively than the fsp and hence I went with the fsp that for ME hit the sweet spot (or had the least compromise for me).

I'd agree with Inner fidelity's write up of the pm3

I have not heard any closed headphones that suit me like the fsp. Luckily my ears are not too big for them.

If open headphones are an option then I would definitely look at the hd650. I think I'm actually buying a pair tomorrow. I'm half pretending to buy it for my wife who still uses my ath m50x's. It's better for her ears that she uses open headphones. That's the kind of loving husband that I am.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #1,706 of 1,765
And there's the soundmagic hp150. I've never heard them but I did look at them for a neutral option a while ago. I believe they are comfortable,neutral and pretty decent.

Sorry I can't think of much more similar to the fsp.

Edit: perhaps the oppo pm2 might be closer to the fsp (than the pm3)

But don't forget the hd600's if open is ok

Good luck. I'll be curious re what you might look at and which way you'll go.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #1,707 of 1,765
Hey!

I have the FSP, and for a lot of reasons I really like them. However, are you using the stock cables that came with them? If not, do you have a recommendation? I'm having a lot of trouble with acoustic noise when the cables hit anything (like a shirt). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Everything else about them I love. 

Best,

Rick

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,708 of 1,765
Hey!

I have the FSP, and for a lot of reasons I really like them. However, are you using the stock cables that came with them? If not, do you have a recommendation? I'm having a lot of trouble with acoustic noise when the cables hit anything (like a shirt). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Everything else about them I love. 

Best,

Rick
I've only used the coiled cable (as that was there recommendation) and I a have had no problem at all.

Maybe that's why they recommend that one - the microphonics of the other

And I mostly use them in transit

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,709 of 1,765
Firstly, I love my focals.

Now....I had a listen to the msr7 for about 5 mins the other day and they are definitely on the brighter side.

I was streaming using tidal and listening to Santana's "put your lights on" and the upper mids and upwards were definitely too prominent for me. I'd say a little too sparkly a headphone. Maybe a bit much re than that. Hence after about 5 minutes I moved on.

I haven't found the oppo PM 3 as bright as the msr7 in the past. When I bought the fsp I was weighing it up against the pm3. I found the pm3 a little more analytical but a tad more sterile and lively than the fsp and hence I went with the fsp that for ME hit the sweet spot (or had the least compromise for me).

I'd agree with Inner fidelity's write up of the pm3

I have not heard any closed headphones that suit me like the fsp. Luckily my ears are not too big for them.

If open headphones are an option then I would definitely look at the hd650. I think I'm actually buying a pair tomorrow. I'm half pretending to buy it for my wife who still uses my ath m50x's. It's better for her ears that she uses open headphones. That's the kind of loving husband that I am.

yeah i was thinking of taking a look at the HD600's.

Thanks for your write up, looks like the msr7's arent for me.

The focals arent ''uncomfortable'' for me, but i wouldnt say you forget they're there too.

Thinking of selling my M100's for hd600's and keeping the focals anyways, they just sound right.

edit: wish the hd600 cable wasnt such a proprietary piece of garbage though

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #1,710 of 1,765
  Hey!

Best,

Rick

personally i use the vmoda cable, but that gives noise too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-S-Flex-Mini-1-5m-3-5mm-Cable/dp/B00B3VS9X0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457273263&sr=8-1&keywords=s-flex
this one should have less cable noise i think because of how soft the cable is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back