Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,666 of 1,765

Yes there are people who prefer them to the HD600/ 650. 

They are closer in tone to the Spirit Classic (and HD600 ?) and therefore not as neutral as the Pro. 

Never have chance on FSC and could be disappointed if it is, I could see Beyerdynamic and DT150 is widely available in top and small recording studio. Rarely see HD600 but I would try something unheard of, waiting to get my hands on Axel Pure headphone. The name "Axel" have no relation to the Sennheiser Axel Grell.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152157481/axel-modular-headphones-with-a-difference-soundsca/description

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,667 of 1,765

Yes there are people who prefer them to the HD600/ 650. 

They are closer in tone to the Spirit Classic (and HD600 ?) and therefore not as neutral as the Pro. 

Never have chance on FSC and could be disappointed if it is, I could see Beyerdynamic and DT150 is widely available in top and small recording studio. Rarely see HD600 but I would try something unheard of, waiting to get my hands on Axel Pure headphone. The name "Axel" have no relation to the Sennheiser Axel Grell.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152157481/axel-modular-headphones-with-a-difference-soundsca/description

I'd choose the 'Pure Soundscape' option if I were you !  All seems a bit of a gimmick to me though. Either a headphone sounds right or you choose something else. Giving 3 different sound options strikes me that each is a compromise and none are correct. Would the user swap the drivers over for different songs/ genres. A bit of a pain on shuffle !

'Soundscape' as in vast soundscape is what I used to describe the experience of listening to the DT150. Mere 'soundstage' never did them justice somehow. These new headphones would have to be going some to match the classic Beyer Tank ?!?

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,668 of 1,765
  I'd choose the 'Pure Soundscape' option if I were you !  All seems a bit of a gimmick to me though. Either a headphone sounds right or you choose something else. Giving 3 different sound options strikes me that each is a compromise and none are correct. Would the user swap the drivers over for different songs/ genres. A bit of a pain on shuffle !

'Soundscape' as in vast soundscape is what I used to describe the experience of listening to the DT150. Mere 'soundstage' never did them justice somehow. These new headphones would have to be going some to match the classic Beyer Tank ?!

Axel will be official launch their products on 18 Nov this Wed, was told they will release the over-ear frequency graph on launch date, I really hope it would sound neutral and probably there will be a new thread. I don't think it's comparable to DT150 but I will compare both and reviews it.

I have lengthy conversations with them on technical and subjective tests that is impossible for most highend headphones and popular brands to match how much Axel have done to perfect their headphones. At the end, it's the listeners' enjoyment that matters, definitely not sound like a gimmick to me as I'm quite particular to what I want to sound to be in VR as in feel exactly as the musician want you to hear, not 3D or how much revealing details.
https://www.facebook.com/axelaudio/

Sorry for talking other topics in this thread, I promise this is the last post on Axel. :)

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,669 of 1,765
I just tried out the PM3s actually, and I was very impressed. They are close, but not quite as flat and a bit more 'fun'. I also tried the SRH1540 which was better in every single way but the frequency response has boosted bass and treble, with scooped out mids. It's not massively off, but it is noticeable. I'm going a bit mad now.
Srh1540 ain't neutral.
Sus out the Nad viiso hp50

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,670 of 1,765
Srh1540 ain't neutral.
Sus out the Nad viiso hp50

I bought the SRH1540. Not neutral, no, but incredibly detailed, great soundstage and instrument separation. Also they aren't too far off neutral - slightly emphasized bass and treble but not by too much. I think they'll be great for producing in general, and I'll try and keep my Focals to use as a reference when I'm mixing down tracks.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,671 of 1,765
  I bought the SRH1540. Not neutral, no, but incredibly detailed, great soundstage and instrument separation. Also they aren't too far off neutral - slightly emphasized bass and treble but not by too much. I think they'll be great for producing in general, and I'll try and keep my Focals to use as a reference when I'm mixing down tracks.

The fsp is pretty good as reference next to monitors tbh. But I prefered to work on music with the HD650, I haven't had any real suprises when listening back to a mix on my speakers tbh. My yamaha hs7 will brutaly point out any mistake I made in a mix anyway so it's a pretty good combo. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,673 of 1,765
The FSP was in my dream last night! ...Don't remember what happened, except that it was all magical 'n' stuff.
tongue_smile.gif

Anyone else had a dream with the FSP in it?

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,674 of 1,765
I've owned these for almost a year and I can't express how much I love them. The more I listen to them, the more impressed I am. A few months ago, I got myself the HD600s as my first open cans, and totally thought they'd be an upgrade. When I listened to them, I was very surprised that, even though I did love them, I really couldn't consider them an upgrade at all -- merely a sidegrade -- and that I actually preferred the Focals. I still kept the Sennheisers (they are much better built, much more comfortable and durable, I had them for a great price -- and wow dat midrange). But while I'm not on the market for another pair right now, I'm wondering *what* would be a clear update on the FSP with a similar sound signature?

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,675 of 1,765
I've owned these for almost a year and I can't express how much I love them. The more I listen to them, the more impressed I am. A few months ago, I got myself the HD600s as my first open cans, and totally thought they'd be an upgrade. When I listened to them, I was very surprised that, even though I did love them, I really couldn't consider them an upgrade at all -- merely a sidegrade -- and that I actually preferred the Focals. I still kept the Sennheisers (they are much better built, much more comfortable and durable, I had them for a great price -- and wow dat midrange). But while I'm not on the market for another pair right now, I'm wondering *what* would be a clear update on the FSP with a similar sound signature?

As someone who was recently looking for the same thing, I can tell you there is none. The Focals exist in a sweet spot of price/performance and genuinely have a flatter response than anything I've listened to. I ended up spending £350 on some Shure SRH1540s, as they have overall far superior detail and a vast soundstage for closed back cans. However, they aren't as flat as the Focals. I now alternate between the two.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #1,676 of 1,765

I don't think many / any new models have come out - I'd like to see Focal update these with better ergonomics and larger cups.

About the only upgrade path I can think of (I use the PSB M4U1s) is the wirecutter's suggested Oppo PM3s. Planars with a similar signature ought to bring improved depth and speed - but I've read that the Oppos are slightly "colored" - not strictly nuetral with a slight bass and treble bump. But whatever - I'd love to hear them as I want them to replace my HE-400s potentially. Then again my 400s sound amazing modded so it might be a setup for disappointment.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,677 of 1,765

As someone who was recently looking for the same thing, I can tell you there is none. The Focals exist in a sweet spot of price/performance and genuinely have a flatter response than anything I've listened to. I ended up spending £350 on some Shure SRH1540s, as they have overall far superior detail and a vast soundstage for closed back cans. However, they aren't as flat as the Focals. I now alternate between the two.

I don't think many / any new models have come out - I'd like to see Focal update these with better ergonomics and larger cups.

About the only upgrade path I can think of (I use the PSB M4U1s) is the wirecutter's suggested Oppo PM3s. Planars with a similar signature ought to bring improved depth and speed - but I've read that the Oppos are slightly "colored" - not strictly nuetral with a slight bass and treble bump. But whatever - I'd love to hear them as I want them to replace my HE-400s potentially. Then again my 400s sound amazing modded so it might be a setup for disappointment.

There are plenty of high-end headphones that are a significant upgrade over the FSP. (For those who don't know, I've owned two FSPs.) However, these better headphones don't exactly have the same sound signature as the FSP, which is one out of many reasons they are an upgrade. In the same (actually lower) price range, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is better than the FSP in every way, in my opinion. In higher price ranges, there are countless better headphones. My favorites are STAX electrostatic earspeakers.

I have also proved various times in this thread that the FSP is not even that neutral. There's too much bass and too much of the mids and treble are missing entirely. This can give the illusion of neutrality to less experienced audiophiles due to the fact that there aren't crazy treble peaks or whatnot, but it's actually a somewhat warm/dark headphone. Here is what the FSP's measurements look like, and here is what the measurements for a very neutral headphone look like. Use the green line as your neutral reference. (Fun fact: all planar magnetic headphones I know of follow the green line in the bass.)

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,678 of 1,765
Music Alchemist, what HPs in your experience possess a similar sound signature to the FSP?  I'm an Audeze fan and I would put them in this group.  Many thanks for your input.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,679 of 1,765
  Music Alchemist, what HPs in your experience possess a similar sound signature to the FSP?  I'm an Audeze fan and I would put them in this group.  Many thanks for your input.

I dunno, I mean, I do like the FSP a lot despite its flaws and consider it to be somewhat unique. The HIFIMAN HE400i and Sennheiser HD 650 have similarities to it, but they're not that similar. If you're coming from a perspective of wondering what the FSP sounds like, I'd say you might as well get it and hear for yourself. It's not too expensive. Otherwise, seek out an audition, if possible.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,680 of 1,765

There are plenty of high-end headphones that are a significant upgrade over the FSP. (For those who don't know, I've owned two FSPs.) However, these better headphones don't exactly have the same sound signature as the FSP, which is one out of many reasons they are an upgrade. In the same (actually lower) price range, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is better than the FSP in every way, in my opinion. In higher price ranges, there are countless better headphones. My favorites are STAX electrostatic earspeakers.

I have also proved various times in this thread that the FSP is not even that neutral. There's too much bass and too much of the mids and treble are missing entirely. This can give the illusion of neutrality to less experienced audiophiles due to the fact that there aren't crazy treble peaks or whatnot, but it's actually a somewhat warm/dark headphone. Here is what the FSP's measurements look like, and here is what the measurements for a very neutral headphone look like. Use the green line as your neutral reference. (Fun fact: all planar magnetic headphones I know of follow the green line in the bass.)

I've got to say, I tried the HPH220 and whilst it was impressive for the price, I found it nowhere near as detailed as the FSP, hence not buying it. It's a good basic monitoring headphone, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of overall clarity and instrument separation. The isolation is also not as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back