Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Dec 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,681 of 1,765
I've heard the FSP and like them.  I'm a Focal fan and I'm happy to see them venture into the headphone space.  

I was just wondering what other HPs have this sound signature.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,682 of 1,765
  I've heard the FSP and like them.  I'm a Focal fan and I'm happy to see them venture into the headphone space.  

The Oppo PM3s are quite similar. Great headphones actually, just more consumer focused, rather than professional, hence slighly warmer bass and a more 'fun' sound to them.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,683 of 1,765
  I've got to say, I tried the HPH220 and whilst it was impressive for the price, I found it nowhere near as detailed as the FSP, hence not buying it. It's a good basic monitoring headphone, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of overall clarity and instrument separation. The isolation is also not as good.

I'd suggest listening to them more instead of having a brief audition, which isn't worth much. I owned both. The MT220 has far better clarity, detail, instrument separation, and pretty much everything else. The FSP sounds muffled in comparison.

That was my second guess. My bad. lol

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,684 of 1,765

That's odd, because for me it was the opposite. (I owned both.) The MT220 has far better clarity, detail, instrument separation, and pretty much everything else. The FSP sounds muffled in comparison. I'd suggest listening to them more.

That was my second guess. My bad. lol

I might go and try them again, although I was seriously underwhelmed the first time.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,687 of 1,765
Dec 16, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,688 of 1,765
A few months ago, I got myself the HD600s as my first open cans, and totally thought they'd be an upgrade. When I listened to them, I was very surprised that, even though I did love them, I really couldn't consider them an upgrade at all -- merely a sidegrade -- and that I actually preferred the Focals. I still kept the Sennheisers (they are much better built, much more comfortable and durable, I had them for a great price -- and wow dat midrange).

I experienced exactly the same, so I eventually sold my HD 600s. Bass and highs were weaker than the FSP.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #1,689 of 1,765

The MT220 competes with much higher-end headphones! Ask anyone in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged

Can you say anything about the noise isolation of the MT220 compared to the FSP? I find the FPS isolation excellent when using it on the bus which sometimes goes up to 104dB.:wink:
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a pair of MT220s.

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,690 of 1,765
  Can you say anything about the noise isolation of the MT220 compared to the FSP? I find the FPS isolation excellent when using it on the bus which sometimes goes up to 104dB.:wink:

The isolation is definitely nowhere near as good on the MT220. In fact, I haven't found any closed back cans with as good isolation as the FSP, bar maybe the HD25.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,691 of 1,765

I have no comments on the isolation of headphones. No matter which headphone I use, whether it's closed or open, I do not hear external noise when music is playing, unless it's very loud, like a truck or door knock right next to me. I usually only hear external noise when music is not playing. As for how much sound leaks out of headphones, I cannot comment on that either; only others can, and there are no others, since I only listen to music at home.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,692 of 1,765
I really like the sound of these cans but I wish they make the cups bigger as these pinch my lower lobes. Not great for longer listening sessions.
Sounds detailed out of a Macbook but will sound its best with an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back