Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,397 of 1,765
  Hmm alright, very interesting... Maybe the amp/DAC combo from Music Alchemist didn't have good synergy with the Spirit Pros, and the Geek out does.

What is your laptops onboard soundcard name?

Or maybe my laptop is just audibly transparent. ^‿^

The Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 are perfectly neutral, as far as I can tell.

May 31, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,403 of 1,765

well, pm-3 vs focal pro...
different tonal balance, as expected.
but I don't see one is better than the other.
focal's tonal balance is more fit with loud noise environments(metros, buses, studios etc....), and isolates more.
and pm-3 is not, more forward in presence region, but less extension in treble, and less emphasis in sub-bass... and that's it.
this impression more or less correspond with the measurements.   
I still enjoy focal pro enormously. 

May 31, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,404 of 1,765

well, pm-3 vs focal pro...
different tonal balance, as expected.
but I don't see one is better than the other.
focal's tonal balance is more fit with loud noise environments(metros, buses, studios etc....), and isolates more.
and pm-3 is not, more forward in presence region, but less extension in treble, and less emphasis in sub-bass... and that's it.
this impression more or less correspond with the measurements.   
I still enjoy focal pro enormously. 

What amp/DAC are you running the FSP with?

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #1,407 of 1,765

I think I did. but frankly, except nasty nad 320bee, could be just volume difference.
and what I had tried was not finding out the difference between dacs or amps, but
the difference between focal and pm-3, which is more easy.  

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,408 of 1,765
I don't know if I should pay $150 and buy the MT220 and use them with no amp/DAC on my laptop and with the xbox 360, or if I should get the $200 Geek Out 450 USB amp/DAC and use it with the Spirit Professional...

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #1,409 of 1,765
  I don't know if I should pay $150 and buy the MT220 and use them with no amp/DAC on my laptop and with the xbox 360, or if I should get the $200 Geek Out 450 USB amp/DAC and use it with the Spirit Professional...

I think you definitely need to upgrade to a better amp/dac first especially if you use or plan to use hi-res music. If you still don't find the fsp to your liking then sell it and get the mt220.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,410 of 1,765
  I think you definitely need to upgrade to a better amp/dac first especially if you use or plan to use hi-res music. If you still don't find the fsp to your liking then sell it and get the mt220.

My $250 amp + DAC stack sounded the same as directly from my laptop with the FSP.

Also, there is no benefit to high-res. The only thing that matters is the master.

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back