Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,426 of 1,765
I actually just bought an Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL. For now, I will use it directly from my laptop. I also have two headphone jacks. Perhaps I should get an amp soon after, just in case, before deciding whether to keep it.

Was very happy with the sound of that headphone, how you finding it?

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,427 of 1,765
Seconded. Not all sound cards are created equal, just like not all amps and DACs are created equal. Without specific model numbers to compare, this whole conversation about "my laptop vs my dedicated DAC/amp" is entirely overgeneralized and meaningless.

Even multiple outputs on the same machine can sound very different.

I couldn't agree more!

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,428 of 1,765
Was very happy with the sound of that headphone, how you finding it?

Haven't seen you in awhile! Did you follow this thread and see that I became less enamored with the FSP, yet bought a second pair? hehe. I only just now bought the AT. Won't receive it until Saturday. You can see headphones I used to own on my profile, by the way.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,429 of 1,765
I had a long moment of inactivity but not too bad atm. I didn't like the low end on the FSP but it's possible it was defecive, wouldn't be the only time this happens to me. I think I purchased the GR07/BE three times each at least lol.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,430 of 1,765
I had a long moment of inactivity but not too bad atm. I didn't like the low end on the FSP but it's possible it was defecive, wouldn't be the only time this happens to me. I think I purchased the GR07/BE three times each at least lol.

I forget...did you think there was too much or too little bass?

I owned two FSPs. Both sounded about the same, except the second one was used, had softer pads, and sounded slightly darker. I thought the bass was a little too much. It follows the Harman curve precisely in the bass, but the flat speaker curve sounds more accurate to me. The fact that the FSP doesn't have enough mids and treble to meet the Harman curve (which already has less mids and treble than the flat speaker curve) doesn't exactly help it. But it's still one of my favorites!

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,431 of 1,765

I actually just bought an Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL. For now, I will use it directly from my laptop. I also have two headphone jacks. Perhaps I should get an amp soon after, just in case, before deciding whether to keep it.

It probably wouldn't hurt if you're planning to get an amp eventually anyway, but in my experience with the M50s, they really don't need much power. Depending on what laptop you have, a decent amp might improve the sound with reduced distortion, lower output impedance, better channel balance and separation, etc. I think they already sound about as good as they can just hooked up to my iPhone or MacBook Pro, though. I don't even bother carrying an amp when I take them out and about with me.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,434 of 1,765
^I think I posted a side by side pic of their measurements in this thread. I need to try another pair just to make sure.

I posted it somewhere, I still have the project in my Sketchbook app.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,435 of 1,765
^I think I posted a side by side pic of their measurements in this thread. I need to try another pair just to make sure.

I mean, it looks like the FSP has way more bass, so it's odd that it sounded like less bass to you.

Were you able to push the pads closer to your ears? That increases the bass response.

I'm sure hoping you compared them with the same music at around the same SPL, at any rate.

Do let us know how the next pair sounds, if it's any different.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,436 of 1,765
I moved the earcups and it didn't change. I didn't do anything extensive like volume match at 1K with a meter but no amount of volume fixed the bass issue, it always sounded way too layed back for my taste, GR07 compared or not. The EQ8 that came in a tour package sounds like the bass is less prominent then the GR07BE yet it was still quite satisfying in both quality and quantity. It's very possible something was wrong with my set as I also mentioned before and this seems to be a curse I have of receiving defective merchandise...

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #1,437 of 1,765
I moved the earcups and it didn't change. I didn't do anything extensive like volume match at 1K with a meter but no amount of volume fixed the bass issue, it always sounded way too layed back for my taste, GR07 compared or not. The EQ8 that came in a tour package sounds like the bass is less prominent then the GR07BE yet it was still quite satisfying in both quality and quantity. It's very possible something was wrong with my set as I also mentioned before and this seems to be a curse I have of receiving defective merchandise...

It does sound like it was defective, because the two FSPs I owned had pretty strong bass. It sounded a little too bassy to me much of the time.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,438 of 1,765
Hopefully I'll get another chance with them in the future. I was happy with the rest of the signature overall and think they fit my head better then the ATH M50/X for comfort but not in form.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,439 of 1,765

What do you mean by "more layed back". Smoother highs? I'm having trouble follow your post but I'd love to know your thoughts on how the GR07BE compared to FSP.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,440 of 1,765
  What do you mean by "more layed back". Smoother highs? I'm having trouble follow your post but I'd love to know your thoughts on how the GR07BE compared to FSP.

He said the bass sounded too laid-back. Since he specified that the FSP he heard had less bass than the IEM, I'm assuming he just meant it was too soft and in the background...yet the measurements show the FSP as having significantly more bass instead, and the two FSPs I owned did not have weak bass at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back