Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,411 of 1,765
If i compare what the fsp sound like from an mp3 player unamped compared to ehp-02d there really is quite a difference in the way the sound sounds.

But not laptop i think but not the way the ehp-02d sounds like..

Like a more cleaner sound.

I also think if you over power them..distortion comes in as has been the case with my fsp.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,412 of 1,765

My $250 amp + DAC stack sounded the same as directly from my laptop with the FSP.

Also, there is no benefit to high-res. The only thing that matters is the master.

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

pretty much, and even if you could tell the difference it would be very slight :) 
deadhorse.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,421 of 1,765
  Mine neither. It just sounds quite a bit better with a dedicated DAC/AMP, as opposed to the cheaper built in version. I'm not sure why that should be a surprise.

This type of thing is very system-dependent. I tested many headphones with and without the Schiit stack and could not distinguish between it and my laptop. And the Magni 2 Uber outputs 1.2 watts at 32 ohms. Only needed to use a tiny bit of the volume knob for most headphones.

Know what's odd, though? My Sony MDR-7506 sounds noticeably rougher from my laptop than from the Fulla. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm not saying people should sell their gear or anything; just make sure you can hear a difference on your system.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,422 of 1,765

This type of thing is very system-dependent. I tested many headphones with and without the Schiit stack and could not distinguish between it and my laptop. And the Magni 2 Uber outputs 1.2 watts at 32 ohms. Only needed to use a tiny bit of the volume knob for most headphones.

Know what's odd, though? My Sony MDR-7506 sounds noticeably rougher from my laptop than from the Fulla. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm not saying people should sell their gear or anything; just make sure you can hear a difference on your system.

For curiosity, what laptop / audio chipset do you have? I happen to like onboard audio most of the time, but generally don't find their amp sections good for harder to drive phones.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,423 of 1,765
  For curiosity, what laptop / audio chipset do you have? I happen to like onboard audio most of the time, but generally don't find their amp sections good for harder to drive phones.

Alienware M11x R2. Look up the specs if you want to know more, because I don't know or care what sound card I have. The FSP is very easy to drive.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,424 of 1,765

Seconded. Not all sound cards are created equal, just like not all amps and DACs are created equal. Without specific model numbers to compare, this whole conversation about "my laptop vs my dedicated DAC/amp" is entirely overgeneralized and meaningless.

Even multiple outputs on the same machine can sound very different. On my work box, my M50s sounds terrible plugged into the front headphone port, but plugged into the back, they sound nearly as good as they do with my O2.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,425 of 1,765
  Seconded. Not all sound cards are created equal, just like not all amps and DACs are created equal. Without specific model numbers to compare, this whole conversation about "my laptop vs my dedicated DAC/amp" is entirely overgeneralized and meaningless.

Even multiple outputs on the same machine can sound very different. On my work box, my M50s sounds terrible plugged into the front headphone port, but plugged into the back, they sound nearly as good as they do with my O2.

I actually just bought an Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL. For now, I will use it directly from my laptop. I also have two headphone jacks. Perhaps I should get an amp soon after, just in case, before deciding whether to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back