Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 21, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,336 of 1,765
Thank you both very much, joe and Music Alchemist. Great reviews, but I was wondering if someone here in the thread have had the pleasure of owing or at least heard both, just to add some new perspective. I don't know, but having both probably would be a little overkill, considering they are close in sound characteristics. 

Jeez, US$200?! That was the kind of price I was hoping to pay! Why didn't you sell it to me?!?! Oh, why... 
wink.gif
   If someday you wanna sell your third FSPro, please, contact me.

Cheers.

May 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,337 of 1,765
  Thank very much you both, joe and Music Alchemist. Great reviews, but I was wondering if someone here in the thread have had the pleasure of owing or at least heard both, just to add some new perspective. I don't know, but having both probably would be a little overkill, considering they are close in sound characteristics. 

You can find posts in this thread that talk about the Spirit Classic at this search link.

May 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,340 of 1,765
  Anybody wants to trade their Yamaha MT 220 for the Focal Spirit Professional?

Might as well put a trade ad up in the FS forum.

Hmmm... as it seems, the Pro and the Classic are not so similar. Maybe it is worth to have both. 

Thanks, Music Alchemist.

Ironically, they have the same drivers! I don't even know why they sound different.

May 22, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,341 of 1,765
Not trying to bad-mouth the FSP, since it's one of my favorites, but just look at the measurements. (Comparing the raw grey measurements to the flat speaker HRTF green line.) The bass is too boosted and the entire (What?!) mids and treble are far too recessed.

Now compare those measurements to a headphone that actually is very neutral, the STAX SR-009. (Click here. Ignore the mislabeling.)

A haiku for you:

Green line for speakers.
The black line is for headphones.
Nothing's perfect . . . yet.

May 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,342 of 1,765
A haiku for you:

Green line for speakers.
The black line is for headphones.
Nothing's perfect . . . yet.

No, the black line is the Harman-Olive HRTF curve, which is simply an average of what sound people prefer. The green line is the flat speaker HRTF curve, which emulates how human ears hear flat-tuned speakers, compensated for headphones, and what neutral headphones should follow. Talk to @miceblue if you don't believe me and want the science behind it. If you look at enough measurements, you can also see that planar magnetic headphones always follow the green line in the bass.

May 22, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,343 of 1,765
No, the black line is the Harman-Olive HRTF curve, which is simply an average of what sound people prefer. The green line is the flat speaker HRTF curve, which emulates how human ears hear flat-tuned speakers, compensated for headphones, and what neutral headphones should follow.

The reason we have two curves is: headphones aren't speakers.

I've read the articles. I was actually at Tyll's first presentation about this. I even asked a question about compensation curves (at the end of the video).

A couplet for you:

I wrote you the haiku.
The rest is up to you.

May 22, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,344 of 1,765

I've read the articles. I was actually at Tyll's first presentation about this. I even asked a question about compensation curves (at the end of the video).

A couplet for you:

I wrote you the haiku.
The rest is up to you.

I don't have time to watch a long video. Please explain it here.

Also explain this, in the context of your argument:

1. Why neutral headphones like the HD 800 and SR-009 follow the green line instead of the black one
  2. Why planar magnetic headphones follow the green line in the bass instead of the black one

I already explained that the black line is merely what people prefer on average, not what is neutral. Regardless of measurements, the FSP sounds too dark to be neutral. And even if you use the H-O HRTF as the standard, it's still significantly below that in all but the bass.

May 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,346 of 1,765
I've already pointed you in the right direction. That's all I have time for. You're welcome.

I watched the end of the video. The flat speaker HRTF curve and Harman-Olive HRTF curve were not even mentioned. The information you linked to is useless in the context of this conversation. You need to compare the raw grey measurements to the flat speaker HRTF curve to see how neutral a headphone is. This information is established and you are spreading misinformation. I already explained that the black line (H-O HRTF) is an average of what sound people prefer and has nothing to do with what is neutral. The fact that planar magnetic headphones (which sometimes have perfectly neutral bass) follow the flat speaker HRTF (sometimes perfectly) is further proof that I am right.

May 22, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,347 of 1,765

I watched the end of the video. The flat speaker HRTF curve and Harman-Olive HRTF curve were not even mentioned. The information you linked to is useless in the context of this conversation. You need to compare the raw grey measurements to the flat speaker HRTF curve to see how neutral a headphone is. This information is established and you are spreading misinformation. I already explained that the black line (H-O HRTF) is an average of what sound people prefer and has nothing to do with what is neutral. The fact that planar magnetic headphones (which sometimes have perfectly neutral bass) follow the flat speaker HRTF (sometimes perfectly) is further proof that I am right.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/ Enjoy.

May 22, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,348 of 1,765
  http://seanolive.blogspot.com/ Enjoy.

That is a giant blog. If you want to make a point, link to or quote the exact information that is relevant. Browsing the blog, it talks about preferred sound in headphones, which is what I was saying before about the Harman-Olive HRTF curve being an average of what sound people prefer -- not what is neutral.

May 22, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,349 of 1,765

A couplet for you:

I wrote you the haiku.
The rest is up to you.

Not sure what you're on about at this point. I'll complain about a fly in my soup at a four star restaurant, but raccoons rooting through the trash don't have that luxury.

May 22, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,350 of 1,765
which is what I was saying before about the Harman-Olive HRTF curve being an average of what sound people prefer

And?

not what is neutral.

Let's presume a curve is out there that maps to an idealized real world listening environment. Since we do not have contact with any deity or some type of superbeings that can just pull out the figures for us, or are part of any other kind of fantasy world...How do suppose we can make progress without averaging a bunch of subjective evaluations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back