Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 22, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,351 of 1,765
Let's presume a curve is out there that maps to an idealized real world listening environment. Since we do not have contact any deity or some type of superbeings that can just pull out the figures for us, or part of any other kind of fantasy world...How do suppose we can make progress without averaging a bunch of subjective evaluations?

I already mentioned that the flat speaker HRTF curve is based on how human ears hear flat-tuned speakers, but compensated for headphones. It is objective, though it still does not take things like variation in hearing between individuals into account.

May 22, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,353 of 1,765
  I have to stop you right there, humans, or any other mammals, don't listen to speakers in an anechoic chamber.

True, but from what I understand, it is based on how we hear flat-tuned speakers in a properly treated room.

lol @ other mammals listening to speakers.
ksc75smile.gif

May 22, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,356 of 1,765
Whatever, why don't go to pizza hut and order a hamburger. 15 minutes later after you finally "clear up" for the staff that you actually meant you wanted a pizza I'm sure you'll feel like you solved some age-old mystery.

May 22, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,357 of 1,765
Just got my FSC today. I've got to say I'm surprised by how comfortable they are after reading most of this thread. I'd say my head is probably about average size (smaller than average for a male, but probably around average when you account for the female population). The earcups are snug around my ears. I have to slide them around a bit to fit my ears in, but then they fit like a glove. The clamping pressure is a maybe slightly higher than my well worn M50s, which is perfect IMO. Snug enough to keep them sealed and in place, but not uncomfortably tight. I can't help but wonder if Focal has addressed the clamping force issues, because all the clamping force complaints seem a little overly dramatic based on my experience. These were an open box item though, so it's possible that the previous owner already stretched them out a bit.

I think I prefer the fit of the FSC compared to my K702 Annies that I'm hoping these will replace. The Annies always feel like they're about to slide off my head, although they never actually have. And the earcups on the AKGs are just ridiculously big. I have to wear them way forward on my face to the point where I can see them in my peripheral vision in order to lay my head back on a head rest. Shouldn't have that problem with the Focals.

I've only got maybe half an hour of listening on them so far with just my iPhone 6, but right off the bat I can tell they sound a little more intimate and laid-back than the Annies. I don't think Focals are as airy or analytical, although the imaging is still pretty good. Bass is tight and bottomless, but if I can nitpick I'd prefer a slight, gradual boost below 60 Hz or so. I think these might be just what I was looking for, although I am a little curious to try the FSP still.

May 22, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,358 of 1,765
  Whatever, why don't go to pizza hut and order a hamburger. 15 minutes later after you finally "clear up" for the staff that you actually meant you wanted a pizza I'm sure you'll feel like you solved some age-old mystery.

You imply that I was unclear, yet you make an ambiguous analogy to do so. Not even sure what point you are trying to make here. Why not just simply say it? I've been clear the whole time.

May 22, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,360 of 1,765
  Sure, you're not as clear as you think, you use ambiguous, made up terms like "flat-tuned" to make arguments about subjects you don't understand. And then you expect to be taken seriously. You're welcome. :)

It's not ambiguous. Everyone who has even a basic understanding knows that flat-tuned is not a flat line, but refers to a flat (aka neutral, balanced, accurate, etc.) frequency response that is compensated for human hearing. It's common knowledge and is not made-up.

May 22, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,361 of 1,765

It's not ambiguous. Everyone who has even a basic understanding knows that flat-tuned is not a flat line, but refers to a flat (aka neutral, balanced, accurate, etc.) frequency response that is compensated for human hearing. It's common knowledge and is not made-up.

Right, it's not ambiguous because it refers to a bunch of different nouns that mean different things to different people. I'll just echo what other suggested to you, read up more on the concepts and terminology and maybe then you'll be able to have a coherent discussion about the subject.

May 22, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,362 of 1,765
  Right, it's not ambiguous because it refers to a bunch of different nouns that mean different things to different people. I'll just echo what other suggested to you, read up more on the concepts and terminology and maybe then you'll be able to have a coherent discussion about the subject.

Or you could actually illustrate how you think I'm wrong. (But I'm not. Everything I'm talking about is very well-established.)

May 22, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,363 of 1,765
I've only got maybe half an hour of listening on them so far with just my iPhone 6, but right off the bat I can tell they sound a little more intimate and laid-back than the Annies. I don't think Focals are as airy or analytical, although the imaging is still pretty good. Bass is tight and bottomless, but if I can nitpick I'd prefer a slight, gradual boost below 60 Hz or so. I think these might be just what I was looking for, although I am a little curious to try the FSP still.

What source with the Annies are you comparing the FSC+iP6 too? I've got both too BTW.

May 22, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,365 of 1,765
You know, I don't actually think the Spirit Pros are overly dark. I was listening to a rap song I'm not familiar about on youtube, and I can't see how people could complain that they're too dark when they listened to that same song.

But that was one great experience listening to that song on the Spirit Pros. And you know why? Simply because there were no "claps" in that song, which in return didn't sound harsh at all and actually made me enjoy the music on the FSP for once.

So yeah, if the recording isn't dark, they won't sound dark. But the FSP treble doesn't bother me at all, even if it sounds a bit dark with some recordings (it keeps them from producing sibilance) and like I said before, it's those "clap" like instruments that only sound harsh to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back