Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #153 of 1,765
Focal suits me better from a sound perspective but ears do not fit.  Nad comfy but mids are a bit too laid back for me.  Jury is still out though on the NAD.  I need more time with it to form a definitive position.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #155 of 1,765
  Focal suits me better from a sound perspective but ears do not fit.  Nad comfy but mids are a bit too laid back for me.  Jury is still out though on the NAD.  I need more time with it to form a definitive position.

Which has loud/more quantity of bass? And have you heard the HD 25-1 ii? I need something with more bass than those, and I heard the Hp50 actually has less.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #156 of 1,765
This is important for if I buy these soon..

Has anyone head the Focal Spirit Pro as well as the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii? If you have, Do the Spirit Pros have more bass Quantity?? Can you feel kicks more in like electronic and rap? oops double post..sorry! dont know how to delete it.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #157 of 1,765
  This is important for if I buy these soon..

Has anyone head the Focal Spirit Pro as well as the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii? If you have, Do the Spirit Pros have more bass Quantity?? Can you feel kicks more in like electronic and rap? oops double post..sorry! dont know how to delete it.

Been too long since I heard the hd 25s.  Focals reproduce bass well but your obsession with bass quantity and kick may be best served by V-Moda or Beats.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #158 of 1,765
  Been too long since I heard the hd 25s.  Focals reproduce bass well but your obsession with bass quantity and kick may be best served by V-Moda or Beats.

Exactly...which is why I suggested the 7520 or the M100.  If you want bass quantity, those two are the way to go.  I've got both right now and I'm having a hell of a time deciding which I like better.  Each have their pluses and minuses...but to me, both are superior to the FSP, mainly because I couldn't get a decent seal with the tiny FSP pads.  The M100s, while having small ear cups as well, don't rely so much on the perfect seal.  Plus you can always pick up the XL pads to alleviate that issue.  The Sony's just fit perfectly and are by far the most comfy pair of headphone's I've owned (the Beats Studio 2013s are close).

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #159 of 1,765
One thing I don't hear about is the pros soundstage. I hope it is bigger than the 7520

bump
( i know its early to bump but it may have gotten overlooked)

if anyone has any comments here it would be appreciated.

Also pardon my anxiety because I will have these tomorrow so I should just sit tight
redface.gif
. the closer it gets the more curious I become. The nature of the flesh I guess. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #164 of 1,765
  The spirit pros had a medium-sized soundstage.  The virtual spaciousness isn't really big, but at the same time the headphone doesn't sound like a closed-back and is rather defined.

ditto, agree with your assessment re the medium width, the Fostex brothers have a more open soundstage for closed backs as well as the Alpha Dog but at a price.  And yes, many of these new very good closed backs blur the line between old stereotypes for closed and open.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #165 of 1,765
Oh yeah... the D2000 did sound more open (I forgot about this one), but then it's not really a closed can. It's more like a semi-closed can.
wink.gif
 I would imagine the Fostex's are the same. Haven't heard the Alpha Dog, but I can say the FSP sounds more open than the Mad Dog 3.1. The actual width is fairly big for a closed-can. I honestly can't think of a closed-can I've tried that has a bigger width or sounds more open. Maybe the P7? That might be a close call though. So yeah, it's not 7520, you have nothing to worry about GrizzlyBeast. I think the fit/comfort is where you should worry. The sound is OMG good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back