Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #136 of 1,765
  Nah there's no reason for me to give them more time because it won't change the fit.  I'm not a believe in burn-in or anything like that either.

These things are veerryy sensitive to seal, and just even lifting them off your ears by a hair makes them sound tinny.  I foresee bad results if someone were to try to do some kind of crazy padswap with bigger pads.

Do you believe in break-in for pads? The memory foam does soften up after a few days for what that's worth. Comfort is a very personal issue and I do understand you. Only you can make the right call on that.  I wish all headphones came with the Alpha Pads, cuz those things are like sleeping bunnies on your ears.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #137 of 1,765
I believe that pads can get more comfortable over time.  I also believe in ample ear-space though.  I think that's my biggest personal influencing factor for comfort.  The audeze pads are the best I've ever come across. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #138 of 1,765
  The Mad Dogs would have won out over the Spirit Professional because it seems the driver's a little more capable down low, but the headphone itself can't get over this weird plasticy, rubbery tinge all throughout the signature.  I don't know how else to describe it, haha.  Thus the Spirit Pro is more 'transparent,' even though I hate using that word.

man that is why i hated the 3.0 its timbre was to fake to me. The zmf on the other hand was really natural. I cant wait for it to come as well(the zmf) I dont understand how a mod can change timbres so much. I have high hopes for the pro to have good tones.

Nah there's no reason for me to give them more time because it won't change the fit.  I'm not a believe in burn-in or anything like that either.

These things are veerryy sensitive to seal, and just even lifting them off your ears by a hair makes them sound tinny.  I foresee bad results if someone were to try to do some kind of crazy padswap with bigger pads.

Is it easy to get the right seal though?
I believe in burn in but not in the way of it making me change my initial impressions by a lot unless there is one thing that bothers me about the hp that changes with burn in. 

Do you believe in break-in for pads? The memory foam does soften up after a few days for what that's worth. Comfort is a very personal issue and I do understand you. Only you can make the right call on that.  I wish all headphones came with the Alpha Pads, cuz those things are like sleeping bunnies on your ears.

The alpha pads are good but I am learning with my yamaha that they can make the sound change in ways I don't like.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #140 of 1,765
"although this headphone doesn't make me puke at times for being too mellow like the LCD2."

I almost fell out of my chair laughing, that is the funniest line I have seen in months.  Cracks me up and I completely understand it!

"What I'd ideally like is a headphone with a general sound signature like this, but a more impactful bass, less veil in the lower treble and bigger earpad openings.  I think I'll look into an NAD Viso HP50 instead."  

I have the NAD but feel the Sony 7520 might get a bit closer to what you describe above.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #141 of 1,765
  man that is why i hated the 3.0 its timbre was to fake to me. The zmf on the other hand was really natural. I cant wait for it to come as well(the zmf) I dont understand how a mod can change timbres so much. I have high hopes for the pro to have good tones.

Is it easy to get the right seal though?
I believe in burn in but not in the way of it making me change my initial impressions by a lot unless there is one thing that bothers me about the hp that changes with burn in. 
The alpha pads are good but I am learning with my yamaha that they can make the sound change in ways I don't like.

Can you give a comparison of the Yamaha MT220 vs the Focal Spirit Professional vs Sony MDR-7520

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #147 of 1,765
Taken from the other Focal Spirit Pro impressions thread:

Just got word the other day that there will be replaceable ear pads available for the Pro and Classic.  They are attached with adhesive rings. Don't know exactly when they'll be available, but my information source is pretty good.

I'm pretty hopefully. And they don't seem like they'll wear down very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back