Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Sep 25, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #136 of 1,465
I wouldn't doubt it. How many people are going to buy a headphone and be like "yeah, I'll buy a Bentley cause of this headphone." Pretty much no one.

But, the Bentley name may give this headphone more prestige and thus sell more headphones. Focal clearly benefits more.

I doubt its a paid license in this case. This is a commercial for both Focal as well as Bentley. Same as the horrible looking Utopia theme by Tournaire was. Would actually not be surprised if Bentley helped finance the R&D on this headphone and also had some final say on the look of it.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #137 of 1,465
It sounds like the Radiance was tuned to be a little more consumer-friendly, with a greater emphasis on warmth and a more robust low-end region. Correct me if I'm straying too far from the truth, but that's what I hope to hear in the Radiance. I like the Elegia, but I've always wanted a greater kick in the bass to afford a more engaging experience. :)
It's fair to say the Radiance brings more warmth and low end than the Elegia, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise given that the Elegia was designed with a studio reference tuning in mind and the Radiance wasn't. The headphone only just arrived at Head-Fi HQ and our schedule this week has been packed, so hopefully we'll get a chance to spend more time listening soon. Even though my listening time so far has been hurried, my ears tell me that anyone who listened to the Elegia and left wanting will find the Radiance more alluring.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #138 of 1,465
I wouldn't doubt it. How many people are going to buy a headphone and be like "yeah, I'll buy a Bentley cause of this headphone." Pretty much no one.

But, the Bentley name may give this headphone more prestige and thus sell more headphones. Focal clearly benefits more.

I ordered a new Bugatti a few weeks ago. However I am going to cancel it because I want a Bentley after listening to this headphone.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #141 of 1,465
I think there is something wrong with the mids on this headphone. The vocals are terrible. For example, on this track I only hear "Bentley, Bentley or Bentley" with this headphone. This is not correct.

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #142 of 1,465
I doubt its a paid license in this case. This is a commercial for both Focal as well as Bentley. Same as the horrible looking Utopia theme by Tournaire was. Would actually not be surprised if Bentley helped finance the R&D on this headphone and also had some final say on the look of it.
FWIW: I'm driving a very nice DS7 fully equipped with Focal audio. Really nice, but I don't see the DS logo on my Stellia's and wouldn't expect it on a pair of Utopia's either, Don't know is making the most of it, but in this case obviously both companies are French:) (and to my liking)

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #143 of 1,465
It's fair to say the Radiance brings more warmth and low end than the Elegia, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise given that the Elegia was designed with a studio reference tuning in mind and the Radiance wasn't. The headphone only just arrived at Head-Fi HQ and our schedule this week has been packed, so hopefully we'll get a chance to spend more time listening soon. Even though my listening time so far has been hurried, my ears tell me that anyone who listened to the Elegia and left wanting will find the Radiance more alluring.
That's good news. Although, my wallet might beg to differ.

I'm definitely keen on trying the Radiance in my local stores. Since it's a limited run, however, I'm wondering if the sales/distribution channels will remain as they are, or is this headphone only available for sale in select stores or via its web portal?

Sep 28, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #144 of 1,465
Radiance demo has arrived and is in @Resolve 's hands. I'd expect him to get some measurements out tomorrow along with more impressions. For now, here's some quick and dirty photos.

Radiance 3000 1.jpg

Radiance 3000.jpg

Radiance 3000x2000.jpg

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Sep 28, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #145 of 1,465
Now we need a sticker, to be placed on some el-cheapo headphones, reading:
"My other headphone is a Bentley" :wink:

Same idea as:
1601343479722.png

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #146 of 1,465
I'm very curious to know what a warm Focal headphone sounds like. It looks great but I'm more interested in the tuning.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #150 of 1,465
Radiance demo has arrived and is in @Resolve 's hands. I'd expect him to get some measurements out tomorrow along with more impressions. For now, here's some quick and dirty photos.

Radiance 3000 1.jpg

Radiance 3000.jpg

Radiance 3000x2000.jpg
No hollowed "F", that should help with the sealing and low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back