Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Oct 5, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #168 of 1,472
My Bentley Driver is currently on Holiday so no way am I driving the Bentley myself whilst wearing Focal Radiance. I will wait for him to return from holiday before I can safely listen to them in the back of the Bentley. Jolly good. Oh and good show old boy.

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #169 of 1,472
Has anyone compared these headphones against the AFC 2?

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #172 of 1,472
Does anyone know if there is a dealer that will sell these in Japan? I’m debating between these and the Stellia. Already got the Clear. Those are wonderful open back cans

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #174 of 1,472
Prediction. These will sound so similar to the Elegia that I would be astounded if anybody could tell them apart in blind listening testing. While it will be a "new" design, there is no way Focal was going to design and build new drivers from the ground up for a headphone at this price point. Not trying to be pessimistic at all, but really, this is just a tuning variant at this point. Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't seem to be a wholly new driver and the cup design looks kinda familiar.

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #175 of 1,472
Prediction. These will sound so similar to the Elegia that I would be astounded if anybody could tell them apart in blind listening testing. While it will be a "new" design, there is no way Focal was going to design and build new drivers from the ground up for a headphone at this price point. Not trying to be pessimistic at all, but really, this is just a tuning variant at this point. Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't seem to be a wholly new driver and the cup design looks kinda familiar.
Unless my googling was horribly off, the Radiance's driver is the same one as the Elegia/Elear/Elex/Clear which all use the 40mm Aluminum-Magnesium driver. If there is any structural difference in the drivers, I can't find it. They're all more or less just different tunings, pads and minor cosmetic differences. Again, this is just what I can find on the internet. I only own the Elex, so I can't really pull another one apart and compare personally. They all still sound different enough, from what I've heard.

All of the Focal headphones aside from (sort-of) Utopia have the same cup shape. Same honeycomb mesh protecting the driver, same dimensions, and everything. They're cut from the same die, I'm pretty sure. All 3 of the closed-backs, Stellia, Radiance, Elegia, have very different looking backs on their cups, but that's just a different textured mold for that one piece.

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #176 of 1,472
The difference in the Clear from the other 3 is the voice coil. Clear is solid copper and the others are copper clad aluminum. With that said would that affect the sound? That I do not know and won't speculate.
I'm curious what voice coil is used in the Radiance.
Unless my googling was horribly off, the Radiance's driver is the same one as the Elegia/Elear/Elex/Clear which all use the 40mm Aluminum-Magnesium driver. If there is any structural difference in the drivers, I can't find it. They're all more or less just different tunings, pads and minor cosmetic differences. Again, this is just what I can find on the internet. I only own the Elex, so I can't really pull another one apart and compare personally. They all still sound different enough, from what I've heard.

All of the Focal headphones aside from (sort-of) Utopia have the same cup shape. Same honeycomb mesh protecting the driver, same dimensions, and everything. They're cut from the same die, I'm pretty sure. All 3 of the closed-backs, Stellia, Radiance, Elegia, have very different looking backs on their cups, but that's just a different textured mold for that one piece.

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #177 of 1,472

Indeed. Not even incrementalism, simply maintaining market freshness. When they stop talking about you, they aren't buying your gear. I am not saying that there isn't any value in such "new" offerings, just that people need to not get too excited about the new sound signature. As you say, this is mostly cosmetic with some kind of tuning tweak. That may be more than enough for many people to want to own these and by all means, each to their own. There really isn't a wrong or right here.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #178 of 1,472
The difference in the Clear from the other 3 is the voice coil. Clear is solid copper and the others are copper clad aluminum. With that said would that affect the sound? That I do not know and won't speculate.
I'm curious what voice coil is used in the Radiance.

Theoretically the voice coil does make a difference. Not a huge one, but measurable when all other factors are identical.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #179 of 1,472
Growing up in the car audio, and pro audio industry when I was young. I knew that the voil coil was critical to the performance of the drivers reliability and how it handled extreme amounts of heat. Always wondered if it would affect SQ and to what extent.
Theoretically the voice coil does make a difference. Not a huge one, but measurable when all other factors are identical.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #180 of 1,472
Also important to note that Bentley vehicles have good sound proofing and there is a triple glazed option. These headphones are designed to sound best in the rear seats of a Bentley. For home use there are other Focal headphones better suited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back