Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jan 16, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #3,421 of 4,840
I found the Denon pads even cheaper, plus in sheepskin:

Geekria QuickFit Protein Leather Replacement Ear Pads for DENÔN AH-D600, AH-D7100, Headphones Earpads, Headset Ear Cushion Repair Parts (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8X6ZX...t_i_TD0W7DRFVVMHQX27EQAZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Geekria Elite Sheepskin Replacement Ear Pads for DENON AH-D600, AH-D7100 Headphones Earpads, Headset Ear Cushion Repair Parts (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8YQ11...t_i_B9FAQ1X1A1MPNFNY8M6A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Those, plus the $13 adapter sound amazing. While the soundstage is intimate and the presentation is a bit close for my tastes (which is a subjective preference) every other attribute is first rate. The musicality is off the charts.
I never would've remembered the brand if you hadn't posted it here. A few years ago, my wife (happy birthday to her today!) bought me a few Geekria pads that go under the headband on my Audeze cans. They are amazing at redistributing the weight across the top of my head.

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but thanks for reminding me of the brand!!

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3,422 of 4,840
man a radiance is in the classifieds for $780... I know normally that is my preference but there is something about this headphone even without tubes.... it really is so good it makes me almost like the Clear's despite it not being my normal choice, I think I just have to admit the Elegia is magic, technically amazing, and such a great deal I can never hate it. I cannot buy the radiance because then I would have to sell the Elegia! Literally bass bumped closed back smoother treble Clear with 90% of it's performance that sounds like a super HD600 on tubes, the only thing I don't love is the upper mid bump.
same same.jpg
I found that the Dekoni Sheepskins on the Elegia very similar to the Radiance

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #3,423 of 4,840
I just got an open box set from Adorama and the left can seems to have a rattling sound when playing deep bass. Anybody else have that issue?

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,425 of 4,840
I just got an open box set from Adorama and the left can seems to have a rattling sound when playing deep bass. Anybody else have that issue?
No, mine is ok but I know that the issue was sort of recurring a couple of years ago... I went through the whole thread and I remember that in old posts...
The one I purchased from a dealer in Germany before Xmas is ok.

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #3,426 of 4,840
Eventually the Dekoni pads have cleared customs and now everything is ready for a serious listening session.
I can anticipate that the balanced Silver cable made a difference, and maybe here the key word is probably "balanced". The sound improved, there is more "ease", the music flows freely, grain improved and bass also is now generous without sacrifice the tight texture. To be continued....
Focal Elegia_Dekoni3.jpg

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #3,427 of 4,840
Eventually the Dekoni pads have cleared customs and now everything is ready for a serious listening session.
I can anticipate that the balanced Silver cable made a difference, and maybe here the key word is probably "balanced". The sound improved, there is more "ease", the music flows freely, grain improved and bass also is now generous without sacrifice the tight texture. To be continued....
I'm very interested in the results of your testing.
I'm having the same experience as you with my OFC balanced cable from Meze and I have a hard time understanding how a pad swap could improve sound quality any further without any drawback in terms of soundstage.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,428 of 4,840
just heard these for the first time balanced... I know it's not SUPPOSED to sound difference... but it sounds a lot better, could be the silver cable too.... damn first the HD800 making it blatantly obvious that youtube is super compressed, now the Elegia, going to do Ananda next... and for anyone wonders TRS(that means 2 black lines) Balanced hifiman 3.5 works for elegia (I did it first because it's the only one with warranty, lol)

EDIT- yeeahhhh it's waaay better... lol soundstage opened up A LOT and the bass even feels it has more energy

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #3,429 of 4,840
just heard these for the first time balanced... I know it's not SUPPOSED to sound difference... but it sounds a lot better, could be the silver cable too.... damn first the HD800 making it blatantly obvious that youtube is super compressed, now the Elegia, going to do Ananda next... and for anyone wonders TRRS(that means 2 black lines) Balanced hifiman 3.5 works for elegia (I did it first because it's the only one with warranty, lol)

EDIT- yeeahhhh it's waaay better... lol soundstage opened up A LOT and the bass even feels it has more energy
Actually, TRRS would have three ”black lines”. Tip/line/Ring/line/Ring/line/Sleeve

two black lines would be TRS.

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #3,432 of 4,840
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #3,434 of 4,840

My bad. I considered the first separator a ring. :wink:
no your right I just wish you wouldn't have quoted me, like use @ or pmed me... instead of imortalizing the picture and text of the incorrect one on this page... I posted this for the benefit of others since I had the same question... if you know how google works it's just as likely to capture your quoted text (with TRRS) vs the one I corrected after you told me... and now you put up a picture of a TRRS... after I put one of the TRS, obv is if someone reads the whole page they will probably understand but not everyone does... but yeah I put it up because I had this question and it took me quite a long time to find the answer... guess I just hope some random non user who stumbled upon this reads it all and doesn't break their headphones.... and doesn't see the text from my quote under the google search result and just think to search TRRS and use that(unless it works, but idk about that lol)... so obv thank you for telling me so I can fix it but now the wrong answers are stuck on this page as well... -____-

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #3,435 of 4,840
stock cable seems like its TS connectors on headphone end. Will a aftermarket TRS cable work with Elegia or should i hunt for a TS cable
glad you asked... lol both TRS unbalanced and TS unbalanced work.... TRRS blaanced MIGHT work or do something else idk but TRS balanced like for hifiman works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back