Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #3,436 of 4,854
Just contacted Dekoni about getting the Ltd. Edition Stellia pads. Was told that they were a limited edition, they are gone and there will be no more. That is too bad as I had finally convinced myself to take the plunge. Would have been pricey to Canada, but...I guess it doesn't matter now.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,437 of 4,854
Just contacted Dekoni about getting the Ltd. Edition Stellia pads. Was told that they were a limited edition, they are gone and there will be no more. That is too bad as I had finally convinced myself to take the plunge. Would have been pricey to Canada, but...I guess it doesn't matter now.
Regular Stellia pads sound really good on the Elegias.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #3,438 of 4,854
Regular Stellia pads sound really good on the Elegias.
Are you referring to Stellia pads bought from Focal? I am guessing they will be quite expensive. I acually sent an email off to Focal Canada to ask if they sell direct, or could hook me up with a dealer. I should have jumped on the last Dekoni-Focal run on Drop. I may wait for that to happen again and just get sheepkin and maybe fenestrated sheepskin.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #3,439 of 4,854
As promised I am back with the results of my tests with the Dekoni Limited Stellia pads on my Elegia. It is now somewhere between 45 and 50 hours of use and sounding great.
First of all I want to thank those that before me suggested this replacement, it was a bit expensive but it is worth the while.

Mid-high frequencies and soundstage > I think that the improvement in these compartments is probably due to the increased isolation and damping due to leather. Soundstage is not really reduced, rather slightly improved, depth for sure is better. Treble is not negatively affected, the increased focus gives a feeling of “density” to the sound that could be misjudged as less airy. Also voices sound more focused and precise standing out in the mix, the remarkable separation mentioned several times is preserved or rather improved as well.

Mid-bass, bass > the improvement is remarkable, bass gains heft without loosing texture, it is still tight and detailed but slightly elevated in the mix. This is also beneficial, resulting in added warmth to the presentation.

Do not misunderstand me, these pads are not changing the sound signature of the Elegia, these are still Focal 100% like it or not. Something that surprised me is that with the stock pads I often used to decrease a bit the volume, depending on the recordings while since I changed the pads I often found myself to increase a bit the volume…this gives me the feeling that the result with the Dekoni Limited Stellia pads goes into the right direction, the listening pleasure :)

Recordings used during the test:
Pink Floyd The Wall – MFSL CD: a CD I use to evaluate the overall listening pleasure and tonality, if this sounds right as I know it then the headphones sound right
Pat Metheny – The road to you (Live in Europe): excellent CD for details retrieval and soundstage evaluation, lots of mid-high frequencies and delicate percussions,
Cowboy Junkies –Trinity Revisited: an excellent CD for soundstage evaluation and for vocals
Fabrizio De André – Le Nuvole 2009 remastered CD: this is a bit peculiar for non-Italians, I know but it’s a wonderful record, great music and well recorded, good for vocals again and acoustic sounds
Steely Dan – Two against nature 2003 CD: great band and usually great recordings, this is good to evaluate the “weight” of the sound, the impact and foot tapping penchant (PRaT for Naim acolytes)
Melody Gardot – The Absence: again a good CD for vocals and intricate percussion and acoustic sounds

All of the above is obviously my humble opinion, the system used is a top of the line 1989 Kenwood DP8010, a Violectric HPA V280 amp, generic silver balanced cable for the Elegia and all Nordost Blue Heaven AC and interconnect cables.
Ears are mines, vintage 1965…

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #3,440 of 4,854
As promised I am back with the results of my tests with the Dekoni Limited Stellia pads on my Elegia. It is now somewhere between 45 and 50 hours of use and sounding great.
First of all I want to thank those that before me suggested this replacement, it was a bit expensive but it is worth the while.

Mid-high frequencies and soundstage > I think that the improvement in these compartments is probably due to the increased isolation and damping due to leather. Soundstage is not really reduced, rather slightly improved, depth for sure is better. Treble is not negatively affected, the increased focus gives a feeling of “density” to the sound that could be misjudged as less airy. Also voices sound more focused and precise standing out in the mix, the remarkable separation mentioned several times is preserved or rather improved as well.

Mid-bass, bass > the improvement is remarkable, bass gains heft without loosing texture, it is still tight and detailed but slightly elevated in the mix. This is also beneficial, resulting in added warmth to the presentation.

Do not misunderstand me, these pads are not changing the sound signature of the Elegia, these are still Focal 100% like it or not. Something that surprised me is that with the stock pads I often used to decrease a bit the volume, depending on the recordings while since I changed the pads I often found myself to increase a bit the volume…this gives me the feeling that the result with the Dekoni Limited Stellia pads goes into the right direction, the listening pleasure :)

Pink Floyd The Wall – MFSL CD: a CD I use to evaluate the overall listening pleasure and tonality, if this sounds right as I know it then the headphones sound right
Pat Metheny – The road to you (Live in Europe): excellent CD for details retrieval and soundstage evaluation, lots of mid-high frequencies and delicate percussions,
Cowboy Junkies –Trinity Revisited: an excellent CD for soundstage evaluation and for vocals
Fabrizio De André – Le Nuvole 2009 remastered CD: this is a bit peculiar for non-Italians, I know but it’s a wonderful record, great music and well recorded, good for vocals again and acoustic sounds
Steely Dan – Two against nature 2003 CD: great band and usually great recordings, this is good to evaluate the “weight” of the sound, the impact and foot tapping penchant (PRaT for Naim acolytes)
Melody Gardot – The Absence: again a good CD for vocals and intricate percussion and acoustic sounds

All of the above is obviously my humble opinion, the system used is a top of the line 1989 Kenwood DP8010, a Violectric HPA V280 amp, generic silver balanced cable for the Elegia and all Nordost Blue Heaven AC and interconnect cables.
Sounds great. Too bad the pads are no longer available. :slight_frown:

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #3,441 of 4,854
Sounds great. Too bad the pads are no longer available. :slight_frown:
As I noted a bit earlier in this thread, pads compatible with Denon 7200 headphones, along adaptor rings sound damn close to the Limited Edition Stellia pads at less than half the price.

Here is what they look like from the back side, once the pads are put onto the adapters. My 105mm pads are too big for the adapter, but 95-100mm fits.

Attachments

• DSC_0353.JPG
    DSC_0353.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,442 of 4,854
As I noted a bit earlier in this thread, pads compatible with Denon 7200 headphones, along adaptor rings sound damn close to the Limited Edition Stellia pads at less than half the price.

Here is what they look like from the back side, once the pads are put onto the adapters. My 105mm pads are too big for the adapter, but 95-100mm fits.
Where do you buy the pads and the adapters?

I got a price from Focal Canada for their pads. I think I might wait for Drop to get the Dekoni Focal pads back in. Then maybe try the sheepskin and the hybrid.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,443 of 4,854

I am agree with everything you said the dekoni Stellia pads are the best investment i could have made the elegia are now my perfekt pair of "itense" headphones Punch ,detail, fun im so so happy with them. They are my first pair of good headphnoes an will never leave me (sorry for becoming sentimental) they just broke a 4 year long pause with me and music ...

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_192407.jpg
    IMG_20220115_192407.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,444 of 4,854
Another pic:

Attachments

• 20220121_132208.JPG
    20220121_132208.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #3,445 of 4,854
Where do you buy the pads and the adapters?

I got a price from Focal Canada for their pads. I think I might wait for Drop to get the Dekoni Focal pads back in. Then maybe try the sheepskin and the hybrid.
I got the pads off of Amazon, but any 95-100mm pads should work. I've seen the Denon pads on Aliexpress too though. They are somewhat unique in that they are both angled and off centered - which helps with the imaging.

I got the adapters from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Foam-Cushi...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=706-127636-26712-0

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #3,446 of 4,854
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #3,447 of 4,854
Jan 24, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #3,449 of 4,854
Just put on the Dekoni Stellia pads bought from a fellow head fier and I am so glad they came up for sale!

I tried oratorys EQ with the stock eligia pad and wasn't a fan of how that unique elegia sound just disappeared in favour of the usual harmon target response. Soundstage went out the window as did vocal clarity and it seemed to add a little harshness in too.

The Stellia pads are just another level really, if anything they only enhance the stock sound, sound stage is very similar but imaging has clearly improved, A touch of added warmth, especially to vocals that still remain ever so good. Happily no harshness for me either!

If you like the stock eligia sound but want a bit 'extra' these pads are the way to go! get them whilst you can!

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,450 of 4,854
Just put on the Dekoni Stellia pads bought from a fellow head fier and I am so glad they came up for sale!

I tried oratorys EQ with the stock eligia pad and wasn't a fan of how that unique elegia sound just disappeared in favour of the usual harmon target response. Soundstage went out the window as did vocal clarity and it seemed to add a little harshness in too.

The Stellia pads are just another level really, if anything they only enhance the stock sound, sound stage is very similar but imaging has clearly improved, A touch of added warmth, especially to vocals that still remain ever so good. Happily no harshness for me either!

If you like the stock eligia sound but want a bit 'extra' these pads are the way to go! get them whilst you can!
Are these the pads?

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/limited-edition-ear-pads-for-focal-stellia-headphones/

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back