Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 30, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,606 of 4,840
sounds like you like T1 2nd better than the elegia? Am I assessing the comment correctly? If so, will the thx 789 be enough to drive the T1 2nd

I like them both equally for different reasons as indicated in my post above this. Between these two, you can ask yourself whether you prefer a closed or open back headphone before all else.

THX on XLR balance will drive T1.2 well, but it sounds best on warm-sounding DAC/AMP and especially so with tube amps. The THX amp is usually known for its clean and transparent signature, which might exacerbate the hot treble if you are sensitive to this.

May 30, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #1,607 of 4,840
Hi all. I'm new around here and this is my first post on Head-Fi. I've done a little back reading through this thread but thought I might introduce myself and ask a question or two. I'm also one of those people who picked up the local deal on the $499 AUD Elegia. Prior to that, only a few weeks back in fact, I bought the HD6XX, however needed a closed back solution for work. Enter Elegia.

Doing my research up front I knew I needed a DAC/AMP, and with a little knowledge I landed on the iFi HipDAC which proved to be wise as it helps the Elegia really perform well with the Bass Boost. The core reason for going with the HipDAC initially was portability as this setup will live in my office, leaving the previously acquired HD6XX and HD800S which i've just ordered, at home. I'm debating whether it's still worth buying the Clears as part of that same deal ($1200 AUD) or whether they will be too similar to the Elegia and not sit well or compliment the HD6XX and HD800S at home - perhaps a different topic entirely.

I would like to make the most of my Elegia experience, so I was hoping all of the research that has been conducted in this thread has led to a few key choices for the group. Pads and cables specifically as I won't be using anything other than the iFi HipDAC with the Elegia. Any help or advice is appreciated.

May 30, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,608 of 4,840
Hey guys so I just got these along with a hip dac. Absolutely enamored with the pairing and its my new portable rig.

For my desktop I've been using an su8+thx 789 combo for a hifiman he 560 and fostex tr x00.

What would be your rec for a balanced cable for the elegia?
I bought a cheap new fantasia cable for the fostex and it works fine but gets channel imbalance in certain positions and doesn't feel too durable. At the same time, I'm not willing to spend something absurd like $300 for a silver dragon cable when the entire headphone was $430. Any recs on a durable cable ~ 6 feet long for <$100? I'm ok with either an xlr termination for the desktop amp or a 4.4mm termination to use with the balanced out on the hip dac + an adapter for the thx amp.

Thanks.

May 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,609 of 4,840
Hey guys so I just got these along with a hip dac. Absolutely enamored with the pairing and its my new portable rig.

For my desktop I've been using an su8+thx 789 combo for a hifiman he 560 and fostex tr x00.

I bought a cheap new fantasia cable for the fostex and it works fine but gets channel imbalance in certain positions and doesn't feel too durable. At the same time, I'm not willing to spend something absurd like $300 for a silver dragon cable when the entire headphone was $430. Any recs on a durable cable ~ 6 feet long for <$100? I'm ok with either an xlr termination for the desktop amp or a 4.4mm termination to use with the balanced out on the hip dac + an adapter for the thx amp.

Thanks.

Check out the folks at Arctic Cable (http://arcticcables.com/). Very sturdy and you can customize your terminations to your need.

May 30, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #1,610 of 4,840
I like them both equally for different reasons as indicated in my post above this. Between these two, you can ask yourself whether you prefer a closed or open back headphone before all else.

THX on XLR balance will drive T1.2 well, but it sounds best on warm-sounding DAC/AMP and especially so with tube amps. The THX amp is usually known for its clean and transparent signature, which might exacerbate the hot treble if you are sensitive to this.
Thank you for the response. So they re just different. Very interesting. Man that makes me wanna get elegia and call it a day, since I wouldn’t need to spend too much on amp in that case

May 30, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,611 of 4,840
Thank you for the response. So they re just different. Very interesting. Man that makes me wanna get elegia and call it a day, since I wouldn’t need to spend too much on amp in that case
More to spend on Music!!! :beerchug:

May 30, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,612 of 4,840

Thanks.
I rec Dyson Audio, great quality cables for amazing prices :)

May 30, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #1,613 of 4,840

Thanks.

I've been using a NewFantasia cable (black braided) with my Elegia for almost a year now with no problems. Far better than the included cable (which was very stiff and very short-lived) and cost me around $20 if I remember correctly...

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #1,615 of 4,840
Well, I got mine a few days ago, and must say that it's a revelation as to how nice a closed headphone should sound. A nice rich and yet non-fatiguing midrange. There is plenty of bass on mine, which was interesting since the one I'd heard before didn't have as much bass or maybe it wasn't matched too well with the amp that was driving it.

Out of my smartphone, it needs maybe a little less juice than the Clears I own, which is good, and the best part is it sounds about 85% as good as the Stellia that I heard a while back. Not bad for what I paid for it, not bad at all. Would I have paid full price for it? Maybe.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,616 of 4,840
Congrats! for the price the Elegia is running now, it i a bargain. (specially if you're buying in Australia, almost half price).

Just saw a review of the 2020 Focal Utopia. with all those sales around on all Focal range and people commenting Elegia was discontinued. I guess we will have new models soon for all.

Jun 1, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,617 of 4,840
Well I guess I have to chime in here as well. I was hesitant on buying these because well, I'm not made of money and these days aren't exactly peachy. I am pretty glad I did though. It has changed, and perhaps ruined, the way I listen to music. I can definitely see why some people would be turned off immediately by the sound signature. At very first I thought I had made a huge mistake. I hate 'cuppy' or 'nasal' sounding headphones (literally just sold some DM6s on ebay) and at first that's all I could hear from these. That ~4k dip creates a lot of this sound. However, after letting my ear get adjusted (I had been listening to some oppo pm3s) I can not believe how amazing these are. The technical abilities - their speed, imaging, detail are unarguably amazing. That tonal oddity? I decided to read a little into hearing, room acoustics and some human biology and it seems humans are super sensitive to frequencies around 4k. Not saying that removing it completely is exactly the best scenario, but what I can say is that by doing so these headphones make me feel like I am sitting in a room about 20 feet from the stage and the person who ran soundcheck that night was the F@&$*%! man. I can hear every detail of each instrument exactly in its space (which of course would never actually happen) but these cans really give you that 'in the room' feel. I understand some people might take this as "closed in" but believe me, it's the correct amount. Anything recorded indoors (um..most things..) sound like they were recorded indoors, on a stage in front of you. Live music sounds like...live music. Bass response is not "powerful" even compared to the Oppo PM3 (also not exactly known for an 'exciting' sound signature) but it is appropriate. You hear tone, detail, definition, with a decent impact and rumble. Again, it just sounds like the sound guy that night was on point AF.
I understand hearing is subjective and I may be suffering from a little confirmation (purchasers) bias, but I implore any person on the fence about the sound of the headphones to grab a beer, a jibber, and a quiet, dark place and just close your eyes for ~6 tracks.
FWIW - iBasso DX160, stock Elegia, FLAC/Tidal HiFi/Qobuz HiFi. 60's/70's rock, Prog rock, classical (listen to Elgar's Cello concerto if you get the chance!), and some classic jazz as well as some funk jazz the likes of Return to Forever, Jeff Beck, and Stanley Clark.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #1,618 of 4,840
I need a better closed HP for when I'm working at my desk so I jumped on a like new demo Elegia for a very good price.

I've never heard the Elegia but I don't think I'll be disappointed. I'm a recording engineer and I've worked in a couple of studios that had Focal monitors and they were quite good!

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,619 of 4,840
Latest editions to my collection. The drivers sound stiff at the moment. I’m detecting some midrange bleed and the instrument separation isn’t the best right now. But this is right out of the box. I had the same issues with the Clears early on before they opened up. More to come......

F9E7A18A-D8F8-4C70-A479-0776DDD1358E.jpeg

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #1,620 of 4,840
Latest editions to my collection. The drivers sound stiff at the moment. I’m detecting some midrange bleed and the instrument separation isn’t the best right now. But this is right out of the box. I had the same issues with the Clears early on before they opened up. More to come......

F9E7A18A-D8F8-4C70-A479-0776DDD1358E.jpeg
Nice pic! Would love to hear your thoughts on a pairing with the liquids.
Also: I'd give them a day or two... bass gets nice and tight after you let them play a bit. Very fast, clean and well extended -- the bass resolution is very impressive on these :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back