Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 7, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,531 of 4,891
So, I’m new to all of this. It may even be a waste of time and money, given my working past (helicopters), but I need to start with a one arrow solution, and I keep circling back to the Focal Elegia or one of the Audeze LCD-2 models. I would love to have a variety of high-end headphones, but it just will not happen now. I have a set of B&W PX7’s that are not cutting it, and a pair of HE-400i’s coming tomorrow because they were cheap, but I want something nice because my wife and I are home a lot. Is this a good set to start with, knowing it may be a year or more before I move on to something else?
I'd say this is a headphone you'd keep for a very very long while. For some reason, every other headphone I have heard so far sound strange to me ever since the Elegia. The mids feel sucked out, clarity feels lacking, dynamics feel boring and bass might be heavier but feel muddy. The Elegia are an amazing set of headphone but an upgrade will be very hard to find and pricey once you feel the itch to move on. For me, these could be my end game, I absolutely love them :D. And if you have eq, they become a whole different beast, I usually prefer planars but the Elegia has changed that for me :wink:. I used to own a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P9 and the Elegia on a whole different level. I personally prefer the Elegia over the Audeze LCD-2 & LCD-2 Closed to give you an idea. But what sound signature do you prefer?

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #1,532 of 4,891
I saw a few comments around here about cables and I would like to open this can of worm again.

Please help...

- Barely used Elegia and my cable just started failing on the left side. Do warranty cover it?
- What cables you guys are rolling these days?

Cheers

May 8, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,533 of 4,891
I saw a few comments around here about cables and I would like to open this can of worm again.

Please help...

- Barely used Elegia and my cable just started failing on the left side. Do warranty cover it?

Cheers

I just got a Forza audio Claire Hybrid and it's a great quality cable and a reasonable price. I posted a pic one page back.

May 8, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,534 of 4,891
Well I guess reasonable is a relative notion 😀
Also they sell "audiophile" USB cable that provides "unsurpassed audio experience". I know that might be a touchy subject around here, but for me at least that's a red flag.

If you want really cheap and decent quality, suple and non microphone, check the Meze cables meant for the classic 99. Not saying they will improve sound vs stock, but they will certainly not degrade it, at least I'm my experience.

For more expensive options, sure there are a lot, obviously with law of diminishing return, depending on what you are after.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,535 of 4,891
Yeah, I really don't buy into the cable hype too much. My driving factor for a new cable was I needed a longer than stock, and more flexible. I'd like to think it improved the sound a bit, but might just be my imagination too. Also, the aesthetics are a plus for me.

May 8, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #1,536 of 4,891
The more I listen to the Elegia the bigger my smile becomes. The low end is mind blowing good. The separation of sub, mid and high bass is extremely impressive, the speed and attack is insanely fast yet so much detail, texture and layering and yet it still has seriously crystal clear mids and treble energy while being smooth. The Elegia really grow on you. I'm still waiting on my Cardas Parsec cable though and very curious to how it'll make the Elegia sound. Apparently imaging, low end texture and mid detail improve while making treble more extended and smoother... I'll see about that, but I can't be happier :D My newest toy is a Peachtree Audio DeepblueSKY speaker. And it has been taking heaps of my attention, it sounds very nice, but to say the Elegia can easily take my attention back for another month... Yes they are that good. I actually haven't used any of my iem's since haha.... Poor iem's

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,537 of 4,891
Thanks guys, I can get the Cardas Parsec for a relative cost here. But never used cardas before (my system cables are Audioquest), so no idea what they can bring. Other thing, is this Parsec green?

The Forza looks nice, but is in Europe, will take forever to get here.

What about warranty? Do you guys think Ij can get the origical sht zebra replaced? (Would need on a future sell)

May 8, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,538 of 4,891
Thanks guys, I can get the Cardas Parsec for a relative cost here. But never used cardas before (my system cables are Audioquest), so no idea what they can bring. Other thing, is this Parsec green?

What about warranty? Do you guys think Ij can get the origical sht zebra replaced? (Would need on a future sell)
this happened to me as well. I purchased mine in-store and the dealer was pretty nice about it. I got a new cable after email him.

May 9, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,539 of 4,891
this happened to me as well. I purchased mine in-store and the dealer was pretty nice about it. I got a new cable after email him.
Thanks mate. Did you receive the same cable or a different model?

May 9, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #1,540 of 4,891

He actually gets them out the door quite fast. I'm in the US, and I ordered 2 cables from him. Took just under 2 weeks from order for them to show up at my door.

May 9, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,541 of 4,891

Please help...

Cheers
Like you my cable Left side became defective. I’m sure it’s a problem in manufacturing process, Haven’t said that if you have a device that support 2.5 Balanced I highly recommend the Meze 99 updated cable. I believe you can purchase on Amazon.
it’s a substantial difference from the stock cable.

https://mezeaudio.com/products/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable

May 10, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,542 of 4,891
Just pulled the trigger on an open box Elegia. Also i ordered a cable from arctic cables and now the wait begins ☺️

May 15, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #1,544 of 4,891
Got an Elegia on the way! :)

May 15, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #1,545 of 4,891
Got an Elegia on the way! :)
So do I. Will soon compare them to my MSR7 which I'm using for three years now, hence the question above. I expect to be naturally biased towards MSR7, unless Focal will blow me away. I'd be rather trying to justify the investment than protect it, thus I was hoping that if there is somebody here in the opposite position to mine, he or she could share their counterbalancing thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back