Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 13, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,156 of 4,854
Hi all.
About the bass. I replaced the stock ear pads on DEKONI ELITE SHEEPSKIN PAD( Important! No perforation!) The low frequency response has improved significantly. Give it a try. With these ear pads, the original tonal balance is maintained, but with more massive bass frequencies.

Nice bro, been wanting to try those pads.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Aug 15, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,157 of 4,854
Hi all.
About the bass. I replaced the stock ear pads on DEKONI ELITE SHEEPSKIN PAD( Important! No perforation!) The low frequency response has improved significantly. Give it a try. With these ear pads, the original tonal balance is maintained, but with more massive bass frequencies.
those don't change the sound signature (besides the bass)?
also they come with the ring to replace them directly? or you had to use some double tape

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,162 of 4,854
Hello, everyone.

I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a new pair of cans to upgrade from my HD650.

I was 99% set on the Aeon Flow Closed, which I'll audition this Saturday at a local store, until I read about the Elegia. Unfortunately the Elegia won't be available for demoing (I'll be listening to the AFC and the Beyerdynamic T1, the latter upon the store owner's suggestion) but after reading this thread I'm almost tempted to go for a blind buy.

I mostly listen to metal music (with a preference for metalcore and melodic death metal), although I occasionally listen to individual artists that play other genres (e.g. David Gilmour, Gerry Rafferty, Eric Clapton, and others.) I also use the cans for Netflix and the occasional video game. My audio chain is: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD -> Magni 2 Uber -> Cans.

Is the Magni 2 Uber adequate for the Elegia? Do you think the Elegia would be better for metal music than the AFC?

I reckon both cans are pretty fast (a must for metal music and the opposite of the HD650) and neutral in timber (which is something I'm seeking.)

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #1,163 of 4,854
Hello, everyone.

I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a new pair of cans to upgrade from my HD650.

I was 99% set on the Aeon Flow Closed, which I'll audition this Saturday at a local store, until I read about the Elegia. Unfortunately the Elegia won't be available for demoing (I'll be listening to the AFC and the Beyerdynamic T1, the latter upon the store owner's suggestion) but after reading this thread I'm almost tempted to go for a blind buy.

I mostly listen to metal music (with a preference for metalcore and melodic death metal), although I occasionally listen to individual artists that play other genres (e.g. David Gilmour, Gerry Rafferty, Eric Clapton, and others.) I also use the cans for Netflix and the occasional video game. My audio chain is: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD -> Magni 2 Uber -> Cans.

Is the Magni 2 Uber adequate for the Elegia? Do you think the Elegia would be better for metal music than the AFC?

I reckon both cans are pretty fast (a must for metal music and the opposite of the HD650) and neutral in timber (which is something I'm seeking.)

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,164 of 4,854
Metal is not my main musical preference, but I listen to a fair amount of it (Prog mostly). I won the Elegia and think it is great for metal. I listened to the Flow at the same time I first heard the Elegia. The Flows are nice, but a bit tame by comparison. The punch of the Focal goes better with metal imho.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,165 of 4,854
Hello, everyone.

Hi ev666il ,

I own both,
and I listen to many metal genres ( not much metalcore but a lot of melodic death).

I too find both fast and neutral.
For me no hesitation: I definitively prefer the Elegia over the AFC for metal. I experience metal as aggressive and very fast complex music involving the full frequency spectrum. With their dynamics and speed, the Elegia excel at metal (like all Focal TOTL, with the Utopia at the top). In comparison the AFC feel very restrained in dynamics and metal is boring with them for me.

I put once some detailed comparisons of both here, check it out:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aeon-flow-closed-vs-focal-elegia-discussion.901394/#post-14813505

Re. amplification, the Elegia requires very little and was even designed to be driven by a smartphone. I don't know at which volume level you listen, you might even not need an amp at all if you listen at low volume level to loud music like metal. I keep and use my Elegia at work, driving it with a AK DAP or with my smartphone :)

All the best,
bidn

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,166 of 4,854
Thank you, bidn and ShredderCO.

I'll make up my mind after this Saturday's audition of the AFC and T1, but I'll likely go for an Elegia blind-buy.

Has anybody tried the Elegia with a Schiit Jotunheim in the balanced DAC version? Would that be a worthy upgrade from the X-Fi THD + Magni 2 Uber for these cans?

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #1,167 of 4,854
Thank you, bidn and ShredderCO.

I'll make up my mind after this Saturday's audition of the AFC and T1, but I'll likely go for an Elegia blind-buy.

Has anybody tried the Elegia with a Schiit Jotunheim in the balanced DAC version? Would that be a worthy upgrade from the X-Fi THD + Magni 2 Uber for these cans?

Basically i agree @bidn 's assessment 100%, but for what its worth, from my experience i wasnt immediately impressed by the Elegia and in fact would have discounted from my shortlist for home demo if wasnt for my regular shop encouraging me to give them a proper go. They're not an instant wow HP, but cutting long and repeated story short, after a day at home with AHD7200, mr s ether c closed and ZMF Eikon and the eleiga my mind was conclusively made up and i bought the Elegia. Tonally their spot on and presentation-wise they're coherrant and even handed across the range, with fantastic dynamism and pace. I dont listen to much metal, but i do like a lot of indie/alt rock guitar music like sonic youth, my bloody valentine, queens of the stoneage etc, where the Elegia are stunning. Guitars have a real viceral crunch, drums and bass power along. The only HP that beats this is the Stellia, but i some ways even then i prefer the Elegia's tone.

They do scale well and although easily run they improve considerably with DAC and amp upgrades.

Anyway i think my point was the Elegia are a real grower and one of my favourite HP at any price, that i could quite easily have missed out on. Look forward to hearing what you think :)rob

Aug 31, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,170 of 4,854
Narrower than the AFC?

Don't worry, ev666il,
while the AFC definitely sound closed, the Elegia have a much larger soundstage, feeling for me more like open headphones ( though lacking some air with extreme metal, but this is the case with all closed headphones I owned or tried).

Have a nice weekend,
bidn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back