Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Sep 8, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,186 of 4,861
Got a pair of Elegias today. Listening to the new Tool album. Really punchy/snappy mid range. Zero bass. Love the mid range. But a bit anemic overall. Doesn't do heavy prog drumming justice but the guitar and snare/tom hits do come alive due to the punch of these things. I also got a pair of Elears to compare. Much better low end on those. And more spaciousness I guess from the open-back design. The mid range is a bit scooped in comparison and they lack the immediacy of the Elegias. I'm comparing both of these to a pair of Sony MDR-Z7M2. The low end on the Sony is much better than both. It's deeper and lush sounding. But the mid range is definitely too smooth in comparison to the Elegias. If I could find a pair of headphones that combine a bit of each, I'd be golden. Low end of the sony + mid range of Elegia + clarity and sweetness and spaciousness of the Elears.

Any suggestions?

They’re brand new, the bass will improve over the next 200hrs, maybe not to where you want it but I would let them run in as the sound does alter quite noticeably

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #1,187 of 4,861
They’re brand new, the bass will improve over the next 200hrs, maybe not to where you want it but I would let them run in as the sound does alter quite noticeably

I'll give it a shot. But I doubt break-in is going to increase the low end to any appreciable level for my needs. By contrast, the Elears and Sonys sound much better for my needs right out of the box.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #1,188 of 4,861
I'll give it a shot. But I doubt break-in is going to increase the low end to any appreciable level for my needs. By contrast, the Elears and Sonys sound much better for my needs right out of the box.

No I doubt it too, but the low extension definitely increases with burn in. They’re definitely stronger in the sub rather than mid bass, but they’re never going to do what the sony’s do as it’s not really what they’re about. The elegia are more of an audiophile tuning by which I mean they focus on delivering. a neutralish realistic and consistent presentation. As @ev666il mentioned if there’s bass in the recording you’ll get bass but they won’t unrealistically emphasise any single part of the frequency range. Sounds like you might be happier
With something more v-shaped tuning like the Sony’s.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,189 of 4,861
No I doubt it too, but the low extension definitely increases with burn in. They’re definitely stronger in the sub rather than mid bass, but they’re never going to do what the sony’s do as it’s not really what they’re about. The elegia are more of an audiophile tuning by which I mean they focus on delivering. a neutralish realistic and consistent presentation. As @ev666il mentioned if there’s bass in the recording you’ll get bass but they won’t unrealistically emphasise any single part of the frequency range. Sounds like you might be happier
With something more v-shaped tuning like the Sony’s.

Cool, thanks.

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,190 of 4,861
  • Fantastic speed and detail retrieval. Sometimes it feels like my Sound Blaster can barely keep up with the speed; the oscillator isn't up to snuff. I'll need a better DAC/Amp combo to do the Elegia justice.

Quoting myself here, but with the Elegia hooked up I figured I'd dust off my Modi 2 and actually do a proper comparison against the Sound Blaster. Turns out the Modi 2 sounds significantly better and keeps up much better with the Elegia's speed. I even had my wife compare the the two on a song of her choosing and she had a clear preference for the Modi 2.

That's what I'm running now; I'll figure out what to do with the Sound Blaster as well as an upgrade path from the Schiit stack at a later date.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,192 of 4,861
Not really a headphones guy, but more of an IEM guy, so I don’t have much experience is judging headphones critically...

But these were what I was looking for. A good combination of a relatively balanced signature, premium build quality, nice aesthetics, comfortable and accessories (love the case!). Also closed backs! Good for work or busy places.

My own gripe is the stock cable. It seems very stiff and unyielding and I’m not a fan of it. Thinking of getting a custom cable butttt, not sure if it’ll change the sound. I really like the sound as it is right now.

Very nice indeed :)

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #1,193 of 4,861
Not really a headphones guy, but more of an IEM guy, so I don’t have much experience is judging headphones critically...

But these were what I was looking for. A good combination of a relatively balanced signature, premium build quality, nice aesthetics, comfortable and accessories (love the case!). Also closed backs! Good for work or busy places.

My own gripe is the stock cable. It seems very stiff and unyielding and I’m not a fan of it. Thinking of getting a custom cable butttt, not sure if it’ll change the sound. I really like the sound as it is right now.

Very nice indeed :)

congratulations and yes a custom cable can improve ergonomics and should only refine the the signature you like rather than change it, ie improve control, seperation, layering and detail retrieval. Different metals might add slight emphasis to the weight or extension of the bass and treble or add body across the fequency range. Badly made or 2 lighter gauge cable especially in with silver might make make the sound thinner, reduce extension or add a bit of treble glare. Conversely heavier gauge silver (24awg +) should sound natural and smooth with greater clarity than your stock cable. There a quite a few variables at play but it’s hard to find a really bad after market cable from a reputable company... apart from the one focal supply which is the same rubbish ofc stiff copper rope across the range. Ideally look out of upocc copper or silver over ofc, the improvements should be more noticeable. Congrats again on the elegia, they’re only going to get better the hours you put on them :wink:

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #1,194 of 4,861
I've tried Focal Elegia on a local hifi shop. I connected it to my iBasso DX220's AMP1 single ended output.

Design and comfort are expectional. The sound: Sounds very good with good mastered music but horrible with bad mastered music. This contrast is much more than any headphone I've ever heard.

To DX200 and DX220 owners: Have you tried AMP or AMP9 with Elegia, does it make difference compared to AMP1 ?

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,197 of 4,861
I've tried the Elegia when I bought my Fiio M11. a great combination!
For now the Elegia is my no. 1 to buy headphone.
Before buying I'll compare it with my B&W P7 which Ido like but I think to remember the Focal was more detailed and had a wider, airy soundstage.
@teknorob23 : what is a good and affordable cable for me? using 95% the M11 but maybe in the future I'll go for a headphone amp for the home audioset.

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,198 of 4,861
I've tried the Elegia when I bought my Fiio M11. a great combination!
For now the Elegia is my no. 1 to buy headphone.
Before buying I'll compare it with my B&W P7 which Ido like but I think to remember the Focal was more detailed and had a wider, airy soundstage.
@teknorob23 : what is a good and affordable cable for me? using 95% the M11 but maybe in the future I'll go for a headphone amp for the home audioset.

I'm buying the Elegia too but I will buy iFi xDSD for source gear. Instead of dealing with a DAP's problematic interface, operating system, screen and battery etc. I prefer connecting a portable DAC/AMP to my phone (either via cable or bluetooth) and control the media playback from my phone.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #1,199 of 4,861
Reason for the M11 is to replace my ipod. Use it outside, in the car, in bed etc.
The Elegia was with serveral other headphones and in ears in the shop to test the DAP I came in for.
Listening and trying this afternoon I found out the Elegia was a serious good headphone for me.
Here I started to apriciate ‘mobile’ gear.
Next step after this Focal for me is a nice headphone amp to connect to the Linn streamer in the mainroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back