Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #271 of 4,878
I'm local to NYC and I was wondering how many different "local shops" we have in the area I am looking into getting the clear or elegia and then pair it with a good amp/ dac for desktop use. Does Audio64 or other shops have both to audition? I like my bass and I am also confused on which headphone offers the more punchy but not intruding bass.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #272 of 4,878
So I have had the Elegia for 3 days. Here are some initial impression after burning in for nearly 20 hours.

Sound isolation

A lot of ppl asked about sound isolation. It is quite good. In a quiet office environment it does block off a lot of noise. The background buzz is gone but neighbor typing and chatting still (barely) go through.The best I can describe it is that it is similar to sound cancellation headphone. If a pair of 3M earplug blocks out 99%, a pair of IEM with good seal will block off 95%. Elegia blocks out 85% but not complete. Once music is going on then the background noise is gone. So if you plan to use it in low noise environment, it will be good. I am not sure how well it would work in the subway/bus or walking around the street (probably not safe to do that anyway)

Comfort

I have been using IEMs for office use for a while. Mainly because a couple of very old headphones that i used (HD580 & some old AT ones) holds my head so tight that they give me a pretty bad headache after 30mins. On top of that open headphone don't work in office environment. The Elegia is my first experiment with going back to fullsized (closed) headphone.

Glad to say that Focal did a great job with the Elegia. The headphone are very wide (not sure if other Focals are the same) and thus it doesn't have a lot of compression on the side of the head. The top band is very well padded and I can set it to the most open setting and it will stay on my head quite comfortably. I have a medium sized head (I wear a size M bke helmet) so people with larger head might get more compression. The ear cups are also very spacious. My ear protrudes sideways and won't work at all with Grado or other small headphones. The Elegia do no bother me at all.

Cable

There have been a lot of complaints about the cable. I haven't opened it up but from feeling it Focal decided to wrap a pair of coaxial and call that a cable. So it ended with a oval cross section. They also chose 4ft length probably expected either a mobile on the go or sit down on office desk use cases. Unfortunately with the thickness of the cable it is stiff and prone to kinking. It is not the ideal cable but honestly they need to be swapped out anyway (see later) so don't get too wrapped up by it.

Sound

Now the intersting part. So far there is a whole spectrum of reviews going on. I just want to add one more small data point.

My initial reaction is that the Elegia is bass light. I mainly listen to classical which stresses a uniform spectrum. But somehow the cellist seems to be on strike here. I have used various amps, WA8, Hugo2, iFi micro. they pretty much all render the same frequency spectrum. iFi with bass boost makes it slightly better but not really ideal. And frankly I am not a bass head, I just want a realistic amount of it. Other measure, clarity isn't that great either, violins are muted and lacking life. Soundstage is a bit laid back and not well defined. At this point I was quite disappointed. It wasn't the sound that I was hoping for.

So started playing with the idea of changing the cable. I have from eons ago (15 yrs?) a Clou Blue cable that I used for my HD580 (starting to show my age now). It was tipped for Senn but since my HD580 has long retired I cut the end and soldered on a pair of 3.5mm plug fitting the Elegia.

To my surprised, things improved a lot. The treble opened up. Now instruments have more clarity and texture. Soundstage is also well defined with instruments appearing at the right spots of the orchestra and have a more defined body. Bass is also better, but still light. Cellos can now be heard. Overall, the listening experience has become more enjoyable. In fact, aside from a bit thin on bass, it is sounding rather good. I am not sure what the Clou is doing differently. I measured it the resistance is a fraction of a Ohm more, and capacitance is around 4x more than the stock cable. But then the values are in the pF range so not sure if that's even a factor. Whatever it is, it sounded better but not perfect.

So overall, after cable swap, I am more optimistic, but even then at this stage I am not convinced 100% by the Elegia. I am not getting the even tonal spectrum that Jude have measured. Or am I not well listened on headphones (I am more of a IEM / hifi guy) have an unrealistic expectation on the bottom end of it? The Elegia is now getting round the clock exercise and hopefully things will open up after a few more days.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #274 of 4,878
Or am I not well listened on headphones (I am more of a IEM / hifi guy) have an unrealistic expectation on the bottom end of it?
Thanks for your impressions. From everything I’ve read about the Elegia it seems Focal have gone for a very neutral sound signature with these, akin to the Clear. That’s unusual for a closed headphone, where you’d typically expect at least some bass emphasis. Coming from IEMs then, I’m not surprised you find them a little bass shy, considering most IEMs I’ve produce a far more immediate, in-your-head bass. The Elegia appears to be favoriting a more ‘audiophile’ tuning, which generally means flat with little or no bass emphasis. I’m not a fan of that sound either FWIW. You should check out ZMF’s Atticus or Eikon if you want to hear bass done right in an audiophile headphone, albeit at a higher price point. The LCD-2 Closed Back will probably also be more to your liking.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #275 of 4,878
I'm local to NYC and I was wondering how many different "local shops" we have in the area I am looking into getting the clear or elegia and then pair it with a good amp/ dac for desktop use. Does Audio64 or other shops have both to audition? I like my bass and I am also confused on which headphone offers the more punchy but not intruding bass.

I’d call before heading over to see what’s in stock with desktop amps/dacs, but the following stores should have them available:

Lyric Hi-FI
Audio 46
B&H Photo
Stereo Exchange (not my favorite, but have a large store and usually well stocked)

Woo Audio is another option but obviously will only be carrying their dacs/amps.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #276 of 4,878
Is Harvey Electronics still around? Spent a LOT of time and money at their White Plains location back in the 70's- 80's.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #277 of 4,878
Hello
I have the Sennheiser HD 660 and i m looking for a similar headphone but a close headphone.

I have too the Meze 99 classic but i found it inferior at the HD660 when hooked to my headphone amp an Atoll HD 120.

So do i make an improve if i go with the Elegia ?

For jazz and acoustic music...

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #279 of 4,878
Testing out some possible portable pairings with the Elegia.. I can't help but mention how I hate this damn cable, I have replacement on the way but no choice for now.

20181021_201707.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #281 of 4,878
I really wish I could have listened to these at CanJam RMAF but Focal was pretty busy for most of the day and every time I swung by them the Elegia docks were full.
On a different note, I was able to listen to the Clears and can absolutely see why there's a camp that loves these (even if I'm not fully in that camp) They are dynamic and edgy and aggressive and sound pretty darn great.

-Steve

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #282 of 4,878
I'd agree with you @Hugo12 but Focal might not, I will say I hope they do go down in price cuz I want a pair..

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #284 of 4,878
Testing out some possible portable pairings with the Elegia.. I can't help but mention how I hate this damn cable, I have replacement on the way but no choice for now.

I really hope that Marine (or whoever from Focal) is paying attention to these comments. The cable is SO effin' bad!!!! Another thing about it is the size of the single-end termination. I wanted to try it directly out of my Pioneer XDP-100, but yet another dumb design choice (that ridiculous bumper, which I have yet to remove) will not accept the headphone plug.

Regarding direct pairings, the Elegia performs quite well with both the FiiO x5 iii and the simple little Xduoo X3.

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #285 of 4,878
And on another positive note, these cans are so very comfy, so kudos to Focal on that score!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back