Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #301 of 4,891
I scored a pair of clears for $950 since that price is really close to a pair of elegias, I pulled the trigger I guess I will EQ some bass in if the elegia ended up having the better low end.

I'd be very happy to find a deal like that nice..enjoy

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #302 of 4,891
Anyone compare this to the Campfire Cascade?
I haven't even heard the Elegia but I think I can safely say they are nothing alike, unless the Elegia suddenly turned into a bass cannon. Most opinions seem to indicate that it is, if anything, a tad bass shy.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #303 of 4,891
Anyone compare this to the Campfire Cascade?
Like Beagle said, it's not really worth comparing. Just completely different sound signatures. I found the Cascade to be overkill in the bass department, especially with how thick it was.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #304 of 4,891

Here is another Elegia review from Pierre Paya (in French). Basically, he tested the Elegia (after 75 hours of burning) with the Elear. He found that the Elegia has a better bass and treble extension, a better presence and is more dynamic than the Elear. Elegia have more coloration, even more richness in the lows and mids and is more incisive and precise in the treble. It has a more intimate and natural timbre, especially for vocals. The Elegia is also less airy and less open than the Elear (which is not too surprising). He does not recommend Elegia for classical and baroque music, etc. due to its lack of air, but it is perfect for rock, jazz, folk and contemporary genres. It blocks the external sound very well, it does not leak a lot and is very comfortable. Its main fault is the cable which is too short and too stiff (no surprise again).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #305 of 4,891
This is what I find perplexing. Three reviews indicating rich bass and three reviews indicating leanness in the bass. I suppose it is a matter of perception and if you are comparing it to another headphone.

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #306 of 4,891
This is what I find perplexing. Three reviews indicating rich bass and three reviews indicating leanness in the bass. I suppose it is a matter of perception and if you are comparing it to another headphone.

Many opinions seems to be contradictory concerning the bass.
I personally tend to believe more in impressions arising from quiet listening sessions (as in this review) than those conducted in noisy environments (as at shows for example)...

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #307 of 4,891
Many opinions seems to be contradictory concerning the bass.
I personally tend to believe more in impressions arising from quiet listening sessions (as in this review) than those conducted in noisy environments (as at shows for example)...

Mine are supposed to be shipped this week.
I hope I'll be able to post my early impressions vs the Clear in few days (after some burn-in...)

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #308 of 4,891

Many variables can contribute to this. Some tried it in shows with unfamiliar amps, music, environment. I find that the amp matching matters, probably due to the lower impedance. bass sound extra thin with the WA8, ok with H2, better with iFi micro BL, but best with an old XCansV2. I also find that classical music sounds thinner, the cellos/bass section is almost gone, but with test track with Jazz and other popular music, it sounds not bad. the tuning of the music recording varies.

or perhaps Focal just have really bad manufacturing tolerances. Which is possible too with a new product. would love to get together with anyone who has a good bass Elegia in the south SF bay area to compare.

I even tried adding equalization to compensate. But no matter how I tried, it doesn't sound warm and full body like what my Andromeda sounds. The Elegia has a lean and thin presentation.

Frankly I am close to returning it. I will keep burning it in until the end of the week, which should approach 100 hours and will make a decision after that.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #309 of 4,891

Here is another Elegia review from Pierre Paya (in French). Basically, he tested the Elegia (after 75 hours of burning) with the Elear. He found that the Elegia has a better bass and treble extension, a better presence and is more dynamic than the Elear.

They must be the holy grail of dynamic because the Elear was/is one of the most dynamic headphones you can buy.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #310 of 4,891

Here is another Elegia review from Pierre Paya (in French). Basically, he tested the Elegia (after 75 hours of burning) with the Elear. He found that the Elegia has a better bass and treble extension, a better presence and is more dynamic than the Elear. Elegia have more coloration, even more richness in the lows and mids and is more incisive and precise in the treble. It has a more intimate and natural timbre, especially for vocals. The Elegia is also less airy and less open than the Elear (which is not too surprising). He does not recommend Elegia for classical and baroque music, etc. due to its lack of air, but it is perfect for rock, jazz, folk and contemporary genres. It blocks the external sound very well, it does not leak a lot and is very comfortable. Its main fault is the cable which is too short and too stiff (no surprise again).

Thanks for the link ! i totally missed Pierre's review :)

Very good review from Pierre, he's a reference in the french headphone audiophile circle ! one thing though, Pierre doesn't say that the Elegia has more coloration, which could make people think that it is a coloured sounding headphone (which is not), he uses a metaphor to express the fact that the Elegia brings out more colours from the music which in my opnion is more of a poetic way to talk about a sound signature than technical :)
Pierre also mentions the exceptional ability of the Elegia with super fast transients, i totally agree with it, the Elegia is a super fast headphone...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #311 of 4,891
Many variables can contribute to this. Some tried it in shows with unfamiliar amps, music, environment. I find that the amp matching matters, probably due to the lower impedance. bass sound extra thin with the WA8, ok with H2, better with iFi micro BL, but best with an old XCansV2. I also find that classical music sounds thinner, the cellos/bass section is almost gone, but with test track with Jazz and other popular music, it sounds not bad. the tuning of the music recording varies.

or perhaps Focal just have really bad manufacturing tolerances. Which is possible too with a new product. would love to get together with anyone who has a good bass Elegia in the south SF bay area to compare.

I even tried adding equalization to compensate. But no matter how I tried, it doesn't sound warm and full body like what my Andromeda sounds. The Elegia has a lean and thin presentation.

Frankly I am close to returning it. I will keep burning it in until the end of the week, which should approach 100 hours and will make a decision after that.

Burning won't make you change your mind about them, the aluminium / magnesium drivers are so rigid that burn in has close to zero effect on them.

That's interesting that you compare them to the Andromeda, i also own both and they are very different. The Andromeda are pretty warm, especially in the low end, and the Elegia will never sound like this, they are much more neutral (and tight) in the bass region. If you like your bass more meaty and warm, maybe the Campfire Cascade would be a better pick for you :)

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #312 of 4,891
Burning won't make you change your mind about them, the aluminium / magnesium drivers are so rigid that burn in has close to zero effect on them.

That's interesting that you compare them to the Andromeda, i also own both and they are very different. The Andromeda are pretty warm, especially in the low end, and the Elegia will never sound like this, they are much more neutral (and tight) in the bass region. If you like your bass more meaty and warm, maybe the Campfire Cascade would be a better pick for you :)

In regards to burning in the surround is what will largely alter with burn in. But burn-in likely won’t change whether one likes them or not.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #315 of 4,891
Thanks for the link ! i totally missed Pierre's review :)

Very good review from Pierre, he's a reference in the french headphone audiophile circle ! one thing though, Pierre doesn't say that the Elegia has more coloration, which could make people think that it is a coloured sounding headphone (which is not), he uses a metaphor to express the fact that the Elegia brings out more colours from the music which in my opnion is more of a poetic way to talk about a sound signature than technical :)
Pierre also mentions the exceptional ability of the Elegia with super fast transients, i totally agree with it, the Elegia is a super fast headphone...

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say about the "coloration"... Sorry for the confusing translation :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back