Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #106 of 4,854
He said other than the legendary Sony’s. But I do think it is premature as there isn’t any general consensus on the headphone yet. I’m personally curious how they sound, numerous things can affect impressions, Focal headphones behave differently towards amplification in my experience than most headphones. I already have an excellent closed-back which beats out all my open-backs, but I’m curious about these. And I like both the Elear and Utopias sound, haven’t heard the Clear though.
no he didn't. this is what he actually said:
I just wish somebody would finally design a closed high-end headphone from the ground up, and not to try and retrofit open cans to be closed ones. The acoustics and design goals are totally different, and these open to closed compromises will never work properly.
he also overlooked fostex

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #108 of 4,854
I was referring to the first part of the message you quoted, not that message. Other was misspelled though.
understood but i was referring to his earlier statement in my post. he acknowledged the "legendary sony's" after ken g pointed out the existence of the sony z1r to him.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #109 of 4,854
understood but i was referring to his earlier statement in my post. he acknowledged the "legendary sony's" after ken g pointed out the existence of the sony z1r to him.

True about that. There are plenty of closed headphones built from the ground up. And since this headphone the Elegia has a different motor design than the Clear or Elear, I view it as built from the ground up closed. People often overlook how vital the magnet and voice-coil assembly are in terms of sound quality and tuning. Beyer drivers generally look the same but they tune their closed-back drivers differently and Beyer is generally considered good at making closed-backs.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #110 of 4,854
yes there are, and to dismiss both the elegia and hd820 as nothing more than "compromised sealed-off versions of their open headphones" doesn't allow for the possibility that considerable r&d may have been invested in them. it's not apparent to me why an adaption of an open-back headphone design for use as a closed-back headphone should automatically be regarded as a compromise anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #111 of 4,854
I really don't care how the Elegia was designed, as long as it sounds good.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #113 of 4,854
Oct 11, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #114 of 4,854
Typical review for people who buy Beats. "Oh and it doesn't have extra bass" :jecklinsmile:
Though not the first time I’ve heard it doesn’t have elevated bass, which is an interesting approach. More like a closed Elex or Clear than Elear then, despite the price.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #115 of 4,854
Though not the first time I’ve heard it doesn’t have elevated bass, which is an interesting approach. More like a closed Elex or Clear than Elear then, despite the price.

I heard some people say it does have more bass than the Clear, guess we have to wait and see where consensus turns out to be...

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #116 of 4,854
I don't think this is a closed Elear, despite its price and looks. These have much less bass than my Elears, too little personally. Mids are clearer, makes vocals on my Elear sound kinda muffled in comparison. But the bass on the Elegias might be the dealbreaker for me.

Seems like it's in between Elear and Clear, hence the mix of Elear and Clear colored velour?

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #117 of 4,854
I don't think this is a closed Elear, despite its price and looks. These have much less bass than my Elears, too little personally. Mids are clearer, makes vocals on my Elear sound kinda muffled in comparison. But the bass on the Elegias might be the dealbreaker for me.

Seems like it's in between Elear and Clear, hence the mix of Elear and Clear colored velour?

Sounds like you have them or have at least listened to them. Would you mind sharing a bit more of your impressions? Also versus Elear and Clear? Would appreciate it!

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #118 of 4,854

I would agree that it is in between the Elear and the Clear. For me, that is a good thing as I greatly preferred the Clear. It is a bit light on the bass, i agree. I use the bass bump on my Ifi idsd micro bl amp/dac and when i do the bass is about right. FWIW.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #119 of 4,854

So it’s basically a closed Elex, by the sounds of it. Less bass than Elear with more forward vocals. Get the Elex pads for your Elear and save yourself $840 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back