Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #138 of 4,854

Thanks mate.

I am getting even more confused about the Elegia's bass performance. In this review they say that the AFC has better bass. I find the bass on the AFC too light. But I have the Clear, and the Clear definitely has more bass than the AFC. Some reviewers said the Elegia has more bass than the Clear. So something does not add up here....:triportsad:

Anyway, I am not a basshead. I am perfectly happy with the amount (and more so the quality) of the bass of the Clear. I just would not want less bass. Hence, I am planning to sell the AFC and now getting a bit skeptical about the Elegia.

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #139 of 4,854
Thanks mate.

I am getting even more confused about the Elegia's bass performance. In this review they say that the AFC has better bass. I find the bass on the AFC too light. But I have the Clear, and the Clear definitely has more bass than the AFC. Some reviewers said the Elegia has more bass than the Clear. So something does not add up here....:triportsad:

Anyway, I am not a basshead. I am perfectly happy with the amount (and more so the quality) of the bass of the Clear. I just would not want less bass. Hence, I am planning to sell the AFC and now getting a bit skeptical about the Elegia.

bass amount always leads to debate for most headphones, especially those who are not bass heavy, you’d better wait for more reviews to make yourself a proper opinion about it.

For me the only lacking in bass is sub-bass, there is very dim sub bass on the Elegia which reminds me of the T50rp or the HD6xx, the bass on the Elegia is closer that what you’d find in an open set than a typical closed one.

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #140 of 4,854
bass amount always leads to debate for most headphones, especially those who are not bass heavy, you’d better wait for more reviews to make yourself a proper opinion about it.

For me the only lacking in bass is sub-bass, there is very dim sub bass on the Elegia which reminds me of the T50rp or the HD6xx, the bass on the Elegia is closer that what you’d find in an open set than a typical closed one.

Yep. Hopefully there will be more reviews versus the Clear soon. I think that would be a benchmark that many potential buyers of the Elegia can relate to.

Finding a good closed HP (in contrast to open backs) is not easy. Love the AFC, except for the 5k bump and the slightly thin bass. Looking at FRC's of the Massdrop Ether CX, that one might actually be more to my taste.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #141 of 4,854

For what it's worth and some people might have seen it already. Found the measurements thread. Looks like it actually has slightly more bass than the Clear.

Focal-Elegia-versus-Focal-Clear---FR---RAW.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #142 of 4,854
I think the Clear has good sub bass and this shows the Elegia as measuring better despite many early reviews saying the opposite. ......¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .......I tend to believe the reviewers despite the subjectivity.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #143 of 4,854
In my experience, production and perception of bass with headphones is tricky for several reasons:

- Headphones lack the visceral bass impact of speakers, and need to try to compensate to simulate that impact to the extent that they can

- The amount of bass varies with genres and recordings, and I find that it's more common for older recordings to lack bass

- The ears/brain can adjust to the amount of bass a headphone is producing over the course of seconds, minutes, hours, tens of hours, and maybe even hundreds of hours; so the impression of bass in the longer term may be better than what's perceived in earlier listening sessions

I initially found the Elear, Clear, and Utopia to be weak on bass when listening to louder rock music, but with more listening to the Clear on acoustic jazz and other genres where differences in resolution are more noticeable, I find the bass of the Clear to be right on target.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #144 of 4,854

The Elegia's bass sounded very similar to the 6XX's in terms of quantity imo, just less airy. I perceived the slightest bit deeper extension, but I think that may just be an effect of closed vs open.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #145 of 4,854
The Elegia's bass sounded very similar to the 6XX's in terms of quantity imo, just less airy. I perceived the slightest bit deeper extension, but I think that may just be an effect of closed vs open.
That doesn’t sound promising. The HD6XX has very ‘polite’ bass at best. You’d think coming from the same family as Elear, Elex and Clear that bass would be one of the highlights. Maybe Focal was aiming for something else.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #146 of 4,854
For what it's worth and some people might have seen it already. Found the measurements thread. Looks like it actually has slightly more bass than the Clear.

In the comments of the Brett Butterworth article listed above he posts his own measurements vs the Clear which looks nothing like the Head-fi comparison. Elegia Shows much less bass than the the Clear. Hmmmm....

https://www.soundstagesolo.com/index.php/equipment/headphones/163-focal-elegia-headphones#comment

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #147 of 4,854
Received my set a few hours ago. Pre-burn in sound is excellent. I expect them to improve over the next several days. My only gripe so far is that at just under 4 feet, the cable is too short (for my listening habits), and as the portion above the Y split is covered with fabric, microphonics are present.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #148 of 4,854

That's quite a disappointment if Elegia has such polite bass, and I definitely found Aeons too bass-light for my tastes. Maybe I won't be selling my D7200 after all :unamused:
Still, I need to hear Elegia in real life before I make a decision, I'm digging the design of the headphones however, like any Focals I guess

@Preachy1 Also shame to hear that the cable is microphonic, this always frustrates me with high-end headphones, like how hard is it to make a damn cable properly, it's not rocket science...

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #149 of 4,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back