Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 8, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #76 of 4,854
I find that hard to believe...
You find it hard to believe that I heard these as being very closed and relayed that impression to you?

Ok.

Others might not hear them as being super closed sounding, but I did. Try to keep in mind that this is a very subjective hobby.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #77 of 4,854
I got a chance to hear this at RMAF. I did not impress in head stage and I thought it was the most closed sounding closed headphone I've heard to date. I couldn't put my finger on the specific area of the mids that were clearly "wonky" to me, but it was evident and detracted from the overall presentation of the music I heard. I hate to say, but this one is a hard-pass for me.

Thanks for sharing your impressions here. Just to get perspective, what others closed backs are you comparing the head stage of the Elegia to?

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #78 of 4,854
Thanks for sharing your impressions here. Just to get perspective, what others closed backs are you comparing the head stage of the Elegia to?
It is a general first impression, not a specific comparison.

I know that impression won't sit well with the Focal fanboys, but it is my honest impression of the headphone.

Edit: If you would like a list of closed headphones I have owned, so that you can see where my pool of experience draws from, here you go... (This list is off the top of my head - there are many closed and open backs I am sure I'm forgetting. There are many more headphones I have experience with which I have not owned which are not on this list either.)

ZMF Omni
ZMF Atticus
ZMF Eikon
E-MU Teak
ZMF x Vibro Mk3
T20RP mk3
Sony MDR-1A
Blue MoFi
Vmoda Crossfade Wireless
DT1770, DT770, DT990
Shure M50
AQ Nighthawk
M50X

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #79 of 4,854
I find that hard to believe...
I don’t. I have the Elear/Elex, and while it has an uncanny ability to render every instrument and vocal in its own space (and throw them at you all at once), it does so in a more intimate space than most. All the Focals, Utopia included, are known to have a more intimate stage. So it comes as no suprise that the closed Focal will be as intimate or even slightly more so because it’s closed. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. I don’t feel my Elear is congested at all, despite the smaller stage.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #80 of 4,854
You find it hard to believe that I heard these as being very closed and relayed that impression to you?

Ok.

Others might not hear them as being super closed sounding, but I did. Try to keep in mind that this is a very subjective hobby.
No, I found it hard to believe that it was the most closed sounding headphone you ever heard. I took it literally. But if it's more closed sounding than the Sony MDR-1A, it's really closed sounding.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #81 of 4,854
No, I found it hard to believe that it was the most closed sounding headphone you ever heard. I took it literally.
It literally is the most closed sounding headphone I can recall hearing. I would call it claustrophobic.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #82 of 4,854
It literally is the most closed sounding headphone I can recall hearing. I would call it claustrophobic.
So the space is constricted and the recordings' soundstage is compromised? Not good.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #83 of 4,854
When Audio Sanctuary gets them in stock I'll take my Elear to compare. I love them, but they don't get as much use as my NightOwl because of their open cups. Might run them up against a couple of other cans that could be price-class competitors while I'm at it.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #84 of 4,854
Just found out about these Elegia. I thought I had a tough decision between the Focal Clear or Aeon Open and now I stumble upon these. Thoughts on the best one for jazz? I'm not worried about isolation, but the thought of a little more sub-bass is interesting. I listen to 80% Jazz, 10% Reggae, and 10% everything else. Favorite headphones to date have been HD800/HD800S as well as Z1R, but I am going to try something new. Don't really have an opportunity to audition any of these. Desktop listening with Audio-gd R28.

I have not heard the Elegia yet. But if you are considering it against the Clear, buy the Clear! I am saying this because first of all, I own the Clear, and it is the only headphone I have not sold or think about selling after some trying. Obviously this is very personal, but I just love it. It does not have the insane detail of the Utopia, but it is much better balanced tonally than Focal's flagship. Even disregarding the price advantage, I would still settle for the Clear.

And then compared to the Elegia: In spite of the fact I have not listened to it, I dare say it won't be as good as the Clear. 1. Looking at the price point, it might be more a closed equivalent to the Elear, not the Clear.

But more importantly: If noise insulation is not a requirement, I think it is safe to say, always buy an open headphone. Again generalizing, at a given price point, I would say any open headphone will sound better than its closed peers. Hence I do not understand that people compare open and closed headphones, it's apples and oranges.

IMO, there plenty of great open headphones out there. My favorite at the moment is the Clear, but I am also very curious about the new Ether 2.

For closed back, IMO it's a different story. I need a closed HP for work, but haven't found a good one for me yet. Have bought and sold a few, but nothing stuck. Currently I am settling on the Aeon Flow C, but still hoping for better alternatives. From what I read, the HD820 is not for me. Audeze XC? Mwah, don't like the Audeze sound, plus way too heavy. Sony Z1R? I owned it for a year, but ultimately sold it. Too much of a specialty can for the rather high price. Tonally unbalanced, veiled.

Other contenders? Massdrop Ether CX looks interesting and then also the Elegia. Just don't compare them to open backs.....

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #85 of 4,854
I have not heard the Elegia yet. But if you are considering it against the Clear, buy the Clear! I am saying this because first of all, I own the Clear, and it is the only headphone I have not sold or think about selling after some trying. Obviously this is very personal, but I just love it. It does not have the insane detail of the Utopia, but it is much better balanced tonally than Focal's flagship. Even disregarding the price advantage, I would still settle for the Clear.

And then compared to the Elegia: In spite of the fact I have not listened to it, I dare say it won't be as good as the Clear. 1. Looking at the price point, it might be more a closed equivalent to the Elear, not the Clear.

But more importantly: If noise insulation is not a requirement, I think it is safe to say, always buy an open headphone. Again generalizing, at a given price point, I would say any open headphone will sound better than its closed peers. Hence I do not understand that people compare open and closed headphones, it's apples and oranges.

IMO, there plenty of great open headphones out there. My favorite at the moment is the Clear, but I am also very curious about the new Ether 2.

For closed back, IMO it's a different story. I need a closed HP for work, but haven't found a good one for me yet. Have bought and sold a few, but nothing stuck. Currently I am settling on the Aeon Flow C, but still hoping for better alternatives. From what I read, the HD820 is not for me. Audeze XC? Mwah, don't like the Audeze sound, plus way too heavy. Sony Z1R? I owned it for a year, but ultimately sold it. Too much of a specialty can for the rather high price. Tonally unbalanced, veiled.

Other contenders? Massdrop Ether CX looks interesting and then also the Elegia. Just don't compare them to open backs.....
I have owned the Audeze LCD-XC and I wanted to really like it but to my ears, it was a very shouty/compressed sounding headphone but did some tracks some serious justice. I too have kept my Aeon Flow C as my goto closed-back headphones as I've not found one to takes its place; bass light on some tracks but still a great closed-back. The Focal Elegia does have a new driver design, which I bet will be used in the Elear's at some point due to its limitations for sub-bass (not bass head sub-bass) and volume. Going from HD800s to the Focal Elear shows much different soundstage abilities, HD800s wins that attribute hands down but the Focal's do things other headphones can't, very dynamic. The next closed-back I will retry is the Campfire Cascade but for different reasons than the Aeon Flow C, not a replacement but as a companion.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #86 of 4,854
I have owned the Audeze LCD-XC and I wanted to really like it but to my ears, it was a very shouty/compressed sounding headphone but did some tracks some serious justice. I too have kept my Aeon Flow C as my goto closed-back headphones as I've not found one to takes its place; bass light on some tracks but still a great closed-back. The Focal Elegia does have a new driver design, which I bet will be used in the Elear's at some point due to its limitations for sub-bass (not bass head sub-bass) and volume. Going from HD800s to the Focal Elear shows much different soundstage abilities, HD800s wins that attribute hands down but the Focal's do things other headphones can't, very dynamic. The next closed-back I will retry is the Campfire Cascade but for different reasons than the Aeon Flow C, not a replacement but as a companion.
I agree, the one thing the Focals dobetter than any other headphone is dynamics. Some like it, some don’t, but you can’t deny it’s there. I imagine the Elegia will follow in the same vein. And contrary to the Clear being the be all and end all, that’s only if you like your sound brighter than the warmer Elear.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #87 of 4,854
I agree, the one thing the Focals dobetter than any other headphone is dynamics. Some like it, some don’t, but you can’t deny it’s there. I imagine the Elegia will follow in the same vein. And contrary to the Clear being the be all and end all, that’s only if you like your sound brighter than the warmer Elear.

Agree. Tastes are different and that's a good thing. I owned the Elear and found it too dark and too much tilted towards the low end. While I liked the low end, due to the treble roll off somthing was missing. Same as e.g. with the Z1R. The Utopia is too bright for me. The Clear is somewhere in the middle. It does not beat most headphones in every frequency range (e.g. my AFC has smoother and more liquid highs, my AH-D7200 more quality bass), but it does everything pretty well and in a balanced way.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #88 of 4,854
I too put the Clear on a pedestal, and chose it over the Utopia based on sound rather than price. I’m very interested in the Elegia for closed listening, hoping the sound quality is in the same ballpark as the Clear.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #89 of 4,854

Have you looked into ZMF headphones? I don't know what amp and source you use for work (unless it's the one in your signature), but they are one of the better options imo. They can be a bit heavy and bulky though.

I've heard too many closed headphones to date. Noise isolation is a high priority for me unfortunately, even if it's moderate. Below are the only ones I've heard, ranked from my personal favorite to least favorite. Take with a grain of salt, because my top 2 are the most controversial ones.

• Sony MDR-Z1R
• Fostex TH-900
• ZMF Atticus
• ZMF Eikon
• Audioquest NightOwl
• EMU Teak/Ebony/Santo
• Campfire Cascade
• MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed
• Fostex TH-X00 PH
• Sony MDR-1A (...and other cheaper end models)

My Focal Elegia have shipped, so I'll write some impressions when I get them.

Regarding the claustrophobic comment, I'll be surprised if it's more closed sounding than some of the cheaper phones on this list. But even the ZMF Eikon sounded a bit condensed imo, despite being on the higher end. I'm used to the closed headphone sound, but the Z1R and TH-900 have spoiled me on what to expect of higher end phones.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #90 of 4,854
Thanks, I am now leaning very close to the Clear. I don't require a closed back headphone. Interested in Elegia if it gave up only a slight bit of soundstage in favor of a tad bit more low end rumble. I owned the Elear at one point and it was pretty engaging. Going to pull trigger soon on Clear....with no regrets :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back