Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #91 of 4,861
I got a chance to hear this at RMAF. I did not impress in head stage and I thought it was the most closed sounding closed headphone I've heard to date. I couldn't put my finger on the specific area of the mids that were clearly "wonky" to me, but it was evident and detracted from the overall presentation of the music I heard. I hate to say, but this one is a hard-pass for me.

Well, colour me surprised. NOT.

When you've been in the field since the 80s and seen cans come and go, and know most manufacturer's tricks, it's hard to not get cynical.

But I'm sure we'll get the "flavour of the week" praise for Elegia when it is available, then a flood of cans in the for sale forum and then a lengthy modding thread by those who refuse to give up :-D

I just wish somebody would finally design a closed high-end headphone from the ground up, and not to try and retrofit open cans to be closed ones. The acoustics and design goals are totally different, and these open to closed compromises will never work properly.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #92 of 4,861
Well, colour me surprised. NOT.

When you've been in the field since the 80s and seen cans come and go, and know most manufacturer's tricks, it's hard to not get cynical.

But I'm sure we'll get the "flavour of the week" praise for Elegia when it is available, then a flood of cans in the for sale forum and then a lengthy modding thread by those who refuse to give up :-D

I just wish somebody would finally design a closed high-end headphone from the ground up, and not to try and retrofit open cans to be closed ones. The acoustics and design goals are totally different, and these open to closed compromises will never work properly.

I get what you're saying but I do find it odd to assume the Elegia is an Elear retrofit based on how it looks, considering it's Focal, who makes every headphone identical, with slightly different shades of grey.

But I do find your viewpoint valuable to keeping me grounded. My Elegia arrives today and while listening I will imagine you throwing things at me from across the room every time I find a reason to praise it, making me second-guess myself lol.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #93 of 4,861

Didn’t Sony do exactly that with the MDR-Z1R.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #94 of 4,861
Thanks, I am now leaning very close to the Clear. I don't require a closed back headphone. Interested in Elegia if it gave up only a slight bit of soundstage in favor of a tad bit more low end rumble. I owned the Elear at one point and it was pretty engaging. Going to pull trigger soon on Clear....with no regrets :)

I found a way to ever so slightly increase the low end on the Clear without losing sound quality and make the Clear totally to my taste. I am not a basshead and value low end quality and texture over quantity. But the original Clear had just a tad too little bass impact for me.

First I found a pair of Elear pads cheap on eBay, and they were ok in getting a bit more low end rumble, but I perceived somehow the overall sound was too congested.

Then I bought Dekoni perforated sheepskin pads for Focal on a Massdrop. In theory, these are similar to Utopia pads (which cost a fortune, hence I have not tried them). I just LOVE the result. Exactly the Clear signature with just a tiny bit more bass, and by that I mean low bass, not mid bass (to which I am almost allergic, if too much).

Currently these are not on Massdrop, but keep an eye on them, IMHO they are totally worth it. They are comfortable too.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #95 of 4,861
Had one on preorder, but today I decided to cancel that. Good closed headphones are always interesting to me, but thinking about it I remembered that I never liked the Utopia for its too aggressive dynamics and small soundstage. All Focal models with this kind of driver exhibit that behavior more or less, so it would be no surprise if the Elegia does as well. I guess I'll pass...

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #96 of 4,861
Have you looked into ZMF headphones? I don't know what amp and source you use for work (unless it's the one in your signature), but they are one of the better options imo. They can be a bit heavy and bulky though.

I've heard too many closed headphones to date. Noise isolation is a high priority for me unfortunately, even if it's moderate. Below are the only ones I've heard, ranked from my personal favorite to least favorite. Take with a grain of salt, because my top 2 are the most controversial ones.

• Sony MDR-Z1R
• Fostex TH-900
• ZMF Atticus
• ZMF Eikon
• Audioquest NightOwl
• EMU Teak/Ebony/Santo
• Campfire Cascade
• MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed
• Fostex TH-X00 PH
• Sony MDR-1A (...and other cheaper end models)

My Focal Elegia have shipped, so I'll write some impressions when I get them.

Regarding the claustrophobic comment, I'll be surprised if it's more closed sounding than some of the cheaper phones on this list. But even the ZMF Eikon sounded a bit condensed imo, despite being on the higher end. I'm used to the closed headphone sound, but the Z1R and TH-900 have spoiled me on what to expect of higher end phones.

Thanks. I will look into ZMF. That's a brand I have zero experience with, but almost only read positive reviews on.

Personally, I do not like the Fostex / Denon V-shaped signature. I still have a modded AH-D7000 and keep it for sentimental value and as a low volume listening headphone (with low volume, V shape works like Loudness IMO).

I am undecided on the Sony Z1R. I owned for a year and went from loving it to hating it to loving it to selling it. And now regretting it. Lol. But I think it's a specialty headphone and for me, as that it was too expensive. I still have a much cheaper 2nd hand Z7 with the same signature for times my internal basshead surfaces. :wink:

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #97 of 4,861
Thanks. I will look into ZMF. That's a brand I have zero experience with, but almost only read positive reviews on.

Personally, I do not like the Fostex / Denon V-shaped signature. I still have a modded AH-D7000 and keep it for sentimental value and as a low volume listening headphone (with low volume, V shape works like Loudness IMO).

I am undecided on the Sony Z1R. I owned for a year and went from loving it to hating it to loving it to selling it. And now regretting it. Lol. But I think it's a specialty headphone and for me, as that it was too expensive. I still have a much cheaper 2nd hand Z7 with the same signature for times my internal basshead surfaces. :wink:

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #98 of 4,861
Hey. I spent about four hours at Can Jam on Saturday. I listened to just about everything in the $750-1500 price range. I wanted a closed back so I listened to the Elegia (with both the Woo wa11 and an Ifi iddd micro black that ifi let me borrow), Audeze lcd2 closed and lcd xc, Mr Speakers Aeon, Beyer tp5, Audio Technica closed, among others. Just to see what i might be missing by going closed, I listed to the Audeze lcd2c, Focal Elear and Clear, Meze planar, among many others. I ended up buying the Elegia (Moon Audio had a pair with them for 10% off) and it was a pretty easy decision. Similar signature to the Clear (my favorite of the bunch, but not closed), not quite as punchy, but very close overall. I also bought an Ifi, which I must say pairs very well. Not quite the clarity of the wa11 but amazingly close for less than 1/2 the price.

Now that i have had them home for a few days, I feel great about my decision. They are the opposite of muddled, extreme clarity is one of their main strengths (along with their dynamics and detail and lack of fatigue on top of that).

I could have easily lived with the LCD closed although it lacks the clarity and punch of the Focal. The Aeon was too polite for me, the Beyer's bass was overpowering, and the AT too bright. The Meze was pretty great, incredible soundstage, but too pricey for my current needs.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #99 of 4,861
Hey. I spent about four hours at Can Jam on Saturday. I listened to just about everything in the $750-1500 price range. I wanted a closed back so I listened to the Elegia (with both the Woo wa11 and an Ifi iddd micro black that ifi let me borrow), Audeze lcd2 closed and lcd xc, Mr Speakers Aeon, Beyer tp5, Audio Technica closed, among others. Just to see what i might be missing by going closed, I listed to the Audeze lcd2c, Focal Elear and Clear, Meze planar, among many others. I ended up buying the Elegia (Moon Audio had a pair with them for 10% off) and it was a pretty easy decision. Similar signature to the Clear (my favorite of the bunch, but not closed), not quite as punchy, but very close overall. I also bought an Ifi, which I must say pairs very well. Not quite the clarity of the wa11 but amazingly close for less than 1/2 the price.

Now that i have had them home for a few days, I feel great about my decision. They are the opposite of muddled, extreme clarity is one of their main strengths (along with their dynamics and detail and lack of fatigue on top of that).

I could have easily lived with the LCD closed although it lacks the clarity and punch of the Focal. The Aeon was too polite for me, the Beyer's bass was overpowering, and the AT too bright. The Meze was pretty great, incredible soundstage, but too pricey for my current needs.
Quite musical imho, not wonky. More so under better home conditions.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #100 of 4,861

Thanks for your feedback. I basically agree with your characterizations of all the other headphones you mentioned, so it seems we have a similar hearing and taste. Funny, you are one of few persons who said the T5p had too much bass. Its elevated mid bass drove me crazy, hence I sold it....

Might pull the trigger on the Elegia. Next step in the never-ending search for a good closed back headphone....

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #102 of 4,861
Didn’t Sony do exactly that with the MDR-Z1R.

OFFTOPIC:
Yeah, but Sony. Oterh than the Legendary Sonys, the Japanese voicing just doesn't seem to work for most Westerners. I have listened to most Sonys and I think they are honky in the critical mid-range and the treble is off.

Then again, I own Focal studio monitors and I'm quite happy with their voicing, so it is possible for at least Focal to do voicing that is (IMHO, YMMV) natural, clear, and neutral...

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #103 of 4,861
OFFTOPIC:
Yeah, but Sony. Oterh than the Legendary Sonys, the Japanese voicing just doesn't seem to work for most Westerners. I have listened to most Sonys and I think they are honky in the critical mid-range and the treble is off.

Then again, I own Focal studio monitors and I'm quite happy with their voicing, so it is possible for at least Focal to do voicing that is (IMHO, YMMV) natural, clear, and neutral...
you start out in this thread by saying that the elegia and hd820 are compromised closed-back headphones based on your belief that they are based on open-back headphone designs. you then latch on to one negative impression of the elegia in support of this. then you lament that no one is designing "a closed high-end headphone from the ground up", which is not the case as ken g has pointed out with his z1r example. and then you make the sweeping claim that the legendary sony's have a japanese voicing that doesn't work for most westerners. it's not apparent to me what any of this has to do with the thread topic, and i think it's premature to dismiss the elegia out of hand when there are so few impressions of it and without having tried it yourself.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #104 of 4,861
you start out in this thread by saying that the elegia and hd820 are compromised closed-back headphones based on your belief that they are based on open-back headphone designs. you then latch on to one negative impression of the elegia in support of this. then you lament that no one is making closed-back headphones from "the ground up", which is not the case as ken g has pointed out with his z1r example. and then you make the sweeping claim that the legendary sony's have a japanese voicing that doesn't work for most westerners. what does any of this have to do with the thread topic? don't you think it's premature to dismiss the elegia when there are so few impressions of it and without having tried it yourself?

He said other than the legendary Sony’s. But I do think it is premature as there isn’t any general consensus on the headphone yet. I’m personally curious how they sound, numerous things can affect impressions, Focal headphones behave differently towards amplification in my experience than most headphones. I already have an excellent closed-back which beats out all my open-backs, but I’m curious about these. And I like both the Elear and Utopias sound, haven’t heard the Clear though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back