Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #4,171 of 4,891
The Elegia is a VERY good headphone for its price since the Celestee came out. I had it for a year, it's a "Jack of all trade" headphone that pairs well with every genre, has good isolation and is very comfortable. The worst thing is that you want to spend additional money on
a) The Dekoni Limited Edition Stellia Pads (they increase bass quantity / quality and isolation)
b) A decent dual 3.5mm cable

Depending on what sound signature you like, the upgrade from the Elegia can be harder to find, the Stellia for example has WAY more midbass (too much for me), the Celestee (the Elegias successor) has no soundstage.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #4,172 of 4,891
WP900 is still the wonkiest sounding HP I've ever tried. I did love the look, comfort, and portability.
Yes you really have to audition at the end of the day. I've read about the metallic sound of the Elegia many times and the weird tuning is a matter of taste but it's the first time out of many reviews I've heard of this wonkiness yr saying about wp900 could be the unit?. Its hard for me without going to Amsterdam and to Headphone Auditions he wants me to hear for myself what he is saying vs Elegia. https://www.headfonia.com/headphone-auditions-amsterdam/

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #4,173 of 4,891
The Elegia is a VERY good headphone for its price since the Celestee came out. I had it for a year, it's a "Jack of all trade" headphone that pairs well with every genre, has good isolation and is very comfortable. The worst thing is that you want to spend additional money on
a) The Dekoni Limited Edition Stellia Pads (they increase bass quantity / quality and isolation)
b) A decent dual 3.5mm cable

Depending on what sound signature you like, the upgrade from the Elegia can be harder to find, the Stellia for example has WAY more midbass (too much for me), the Celestee (the Elegias successor) has no soundstage.
What about portability with Elegia? I'm worried it might look a bit outlandish using it in public as a commute headphone. And there are scarce examples of review videos out and about with it. Its hard to gauge if the profile of it is slightly OTT for some on commute.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #4,174 of 4,891
I mean, it's very easy to drive. If looks bother you, you might go for an IEM... Every Focal has that shape. The sound quality you can get in an IEM is insane compared to headphones (up to a certain price point). Of course fit plays a bigger role with them. I am no expert in other good up to 500€ closed backs (basically only tried the Elegia at that price point), especially when you want a better looking one...

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #4,175 of 4,891
I mean, it's very easy to drive. If looks bother you, you might go for an IEM... Every Focal has that shape. The sound quality you can get in an IEM is insane compared to headphones (up to a certain price point). Of course fit plays a bigger role with them. I am no expert in other good up to 500€ closed backs (basically only tried the Elegia at that price point), especially when you want a better looking one...
Coming from WH1000XM3s , Elegia fit the bill to move away from that sound. For spending money it has to be the bigger soundstage, wider , airier etc.. It took me a months to figure out Elegia and the pad modification idea that is very popular, + EQing which they are known to respond to very well. Yes iem are an option I have been considering as a big U-Turn in my research only recently. The fear of those without demoing is being disappointed by soundstage, because you get people saying on the flipside Overears vs IEM .:"IEMs can't compete with headphones on soundstage".. However they will also as you say kick big ass so it's frustrating without being able to demo. And I am not likely to buy and return just to test.. Also I have been told by Headphones Audition Amsterdam owner that there are in his opinion a better option for me in portable AND sound wired closed back in Audio Technica WP900.. they look incredible and the testimony reviews are of an incredible sounding truly portable hifi closedback.

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #4,176 of 4,891
I really have no idea what to think about these headphones. I can’t currently audition them, but I’m not sure whether to blind buy because the reviews are all over the map.

Some people are saying they sound too weird, have too little bass, and aren’t worth getting, but then I look at some of the YouTube reviewers I trust and they seem to go gaga for them.

For example, DMS absolutely loves the Elegia, and even prefers them to the Celestee. Most other reviewers I’ve seen really praise them, including MrAyrit, MajorHifi, HiFi Insider, and a few others. And then Andrew (Resolve) from headphones.com absolutely loves the Elegia to the point that they were his daily driver for a long time, even though he constantly has access to far more expensive headphones.

So these headphones seem to spawn some interesting reactions across the board.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #4,177 of 4,891
I really have no idea what to think about these headphones. I can’t currently audition them, but I’m not sure whether to blind buy because the reviews are all over the map.

Some people are saying they sound too weird, have too little bass, and aren’t worth getting, but then I look at some of the YouTube reviewers I trust and they seem to go gaga for them.

For example, DMS absolutely loves the Elegia, and even prefers them to the Celestee. Most other reviewers I’ve seen really praise them, including MrAyrit, MajorHifi, HiFi Insider, and a few others. And then Andrew (Resolve) from headphones.com absolutely loves the Elegia to the point that they were his daily driver for a long time, even though he constantly has access to far more expensive headphones.

So these headphones seem to spawn some interesting reactions across the board.
Yep the burns against Elegia are there but on the balance ive seen the other opinions you mention. Ive spent months at this, but still those snipes : "they weird"... "they too metallic" make you think..I also cant demo..Also My big bummer about Elegia is that EU doesn't get the Adorama deal... https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204591-focal-elegia-over-ear-closed-back-headphones.aspx?swapstore=1.. Like with the pad swap it's 750 dollars!.. I travelled to another city here in Ireland that actually has a hifi shop on a main street still to try Denon d7200 that they had listed on their site. Out of stock.. I will demo them in January and considering it will be a local shop comparatively I might just get those. And , just like the Elegias, I don't think there's much chance of going wrong with these products.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #4,178 of 4,891
I'm a big fan of the Elegia but it's a pretty polarising headphone. If no opportunity to demo, would try to ensure there's a decent returns policy. Also try and allow time for brain burn in, as the sound signature can take a bit of time to warm to/appreciate for some (depending on what signature you're used to).

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #4,179 of 4,891
I'm a big fan of the Elegia but it's a pretty polarising headphone. If no opportunity to demo, would try to ensure there's a decent returns policy. Also try and allow time for brain burn in, as the sound signature can take a bit of time to warm to/appreciate for some (depending on what signature you're used to).
fair warning... Europe doesn't get a 299dollar deal . That's become a real burn for me this morning. Ive known that my availability for them is a reputable outlet here (richer sounds) but its 650 Euros like you know...And if I would eventually just HAVE to get the pad swap ,, AND get a better cable,, Im looking at 800EU+,,, The WP900s, or the possibility of actually being able to demo a pair of Denon 7200 , and buy from a local shop so ill also get the personable service. ,, means the Elegia are priced out here. knowing they are 299 bucks vs 650euro(plus the rest) really burns me.. Thanks for your advice about the sound taste acquirement for them,, I dont think I would mind that so much but that price discrepancy, the modifications, the better after sales for the Denon,, or just the out of the box signature (and all around great sound) and much more portability (weight, size) of the Audio Technicas really make them less of an option for me where I am. Also I will just stress the portability factor, the headphones will be my everyday commute. Is that even practical with the Elegias? Thanks

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #4,180 of 4,891
fair warning... Europe doesn't get a 299dollar deal . That's become a real burn for me this morning. Ive known that my availability for them is a reputable outlet here (richer sounds) but its 650 Euros like you know...And if I would eventually just HAVE to get the pad swap ,, AND get a better cable,, Im looking at 800EU+,,, The WP900s, or the possibility of actually being able to demo a pair of Denon 7200 , and buy from a local shop so ill also get the personable service. ,, means the Elegia are priced out here. knowing they are 299 bucks vs 650euro(plus the rest) really burns me.. Thanks for your advice about the sound taste acquirement for them,, I dont think I would mind that so much but that price discrepancy, the modifications, the better after sales for the Denon,, or just the out of the box signature (and all around great sound) and much more portability (weight, size) of the Audio Technicas really make them less of an option for me where I am. Also I will just stress the portability factor, the headphones will be my everyday commute. Is that even practical with the Elegias? Thanks
FWIW, I listen to the Elegia with the stock pads, so I'd query whether the pad swap is absolutely essential, although opinions will likely differ on that point...

Re portability, I've seen some people wear the Focal Celestee outdoors, so it's doable, but speaking personally I'd find wearing any wired Focal closed back a bit too cumbersome/bulky for commuting (also the stock Elegia pads aren't that great for isolation imo).

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #4,181 of 4,891
What about portability with Elegia? I'm worried it might look a bit outlandish using it in public as a commute headphone. And there are scarce examples of review videos out and about with it. Its hard to gauge if the profile of it is slightly OTT for some on commute.
Look at it this way. These do not sound like typical closed headphones (they never were intended to). They are much more akin to open back headphones but with passive noise isolation. If you look at them that way, you will be better informed as to what to expect. But, if you are expecting something like a typical closed back, then you will NOT like them. Those that have talked about upgrading pads, or EQing them bought them with the expectation of a typical closed back. These just aren't those. With the stock pads, the bass is of a lesser quantity than the typical closed back, unless the music calls for it (in which case it can be pretty big). it is plenty enough to keep from being boring even on songs that don't really call for it.

For me, these have the biggest soundstage of any closed back I have heard. It is larger than the Sennheiser HD6XX line for sure (and those are indeed open back). They have the typical (top of the line) dynamics that Focal is known for. There have not been THAT many that say they hear a metallic tone but those that have either have much better hearing than most of us do or are parroting what they have heard from somewhere else (IMO).

These were an experiment by Focal in making a closed headphone sound like an open back (it was their first high end closed back), and they succeeded very well with these. These are also not ultra portable (though I use them that way myself). They are big and heavy (though certainly not uncomfortable at all). I use mine with either iBasso DX160, or DX300 while out and about, and to be honest, I get questioned about them all the time regarding how beautiful they are (if that might be a concern for you).

As for price, it IS a bitter pill to swallow when others can have them for so much cheaper; I get it. But, these ARE high end quality and sound all the way, and I would have paid full price ($900) for them and thought them to be worth it. Of course YMMV and that is my thoughts on them. Having said that, I think anything under $700 is well worth the effort for these. The difference in cost between the Adorama deal is that you will get factory support. Those that buy them from Adorama will not (other than possibly through Adorama themselves). They are not only NOT an authorized dealer, but they are frowned upon by Focal for selling them so cheaply.

It is actually Adorama that has kept these phones alive all this time. While Focal never actually discontinued these, they (quietly) took them off their page, and just never talk about them. They DID, however change the cable to a better one at some point while everyone thought they were discontinued. So, you won't get the black and white striped (atrocious) cable, but an all black one that is of better make (though still way too stiff). It might be the Celestee cable?!

They can be driven from a lowly smart phone, and don't sound bad, but like any high-end head gear, they scale with better sources. That isn't to say that you need to spend thousands of dollars on a desktop setup to get great sound quality from them. I personally don't find they sound great with tube amp but do sound fantastic with a great SS DAP or DAC/amp.

The bottom line is that if you temper your expectations and still purchase them, you will enjoy them. If you buy them with expectations of what they are NOT, then you will sell them off like others that have done the same. They are truly an amazing set of headphones IMHO!

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #4,182 of 4,891
Look at it this way. These do not sound like typical closed headphones (they never were intended to). They are much more akin to open back headphones but with passive noise isolation. If you look at them that way, you will be better informed as to what to expect. But, if you are expecting something like a typical closed back, then you will NOT like them. Those that have talked about upgrading pads, or EQing them bought them with the expectation of a typical closed back. These just aren't those. With the stock pads, the bass is of a lesser quantity than the typical closed back, unless the music calls for it (in which case it can be pretty big). it is plenty enough to keep from being boring even on songs that don't really call for it.

For me, these have the biggest soundstage of any closed back I have heard. It is larger than the Sennheiser HD6XX line for sure (and those are indeed open back). They have the typical (top of the line) dynamics that Focal is known for. There have not been THAT many that say they hear a metallic tone but those that have either have much better hearing than most of us do or are parroting what they have heard from somewhere else (IMO).

These were an experiment by Focal in making a closed headphone sound like an open back (it was their first high end closed back), and they succeeded very well with these. These are also not ultra portable (though I use them that way myself). They are big and heavy (though certainly not uncomfortable at all). I use mine with either iBasso DX160, or DX300 while out and about, and to be honest, I get questioned about them all the time regarding how beautiful they are (if that might be a concern for you).

As for price, it IS a bitter pill to swallow when others can have them for so much cheaper; I get it. But, these ARE high end quality and sound all the way, and I would have paid full price ($900) for them and thought them to be worth it. Of course YMMV and that is my thoughts on them. Having said that, I think anything under $700 is well worth the effort for these. The difference in cost between the Adorama deal is that you will get factory support. Those that buy them from Adorama will not (other than possibly through Adorama themselves). They are not only NOT an authorized dealer, but they are frowned upon by Focal for selling them so cheaply.

It is actually Adorama that has kept these phones alive all this time. While Focal never actually discontinued these, they (quietly) took them off their page, and just never talk about them. They DID, however change the cable to a better one at some point while everyone thought they were discontinued. So, you won't get the black and white striped (atrocious) cable, but an all black one that is of better make (though still way too stiff). It might be the Celestee cable?!

They can be driven from a lowly smart phone, and don't sound bad, but like any high-end head gear, they scale with better sources. That isn't to say that you need to spend thousands of dollars on a desktop setup to get great sound quality from them. I personally don't find they sound great with tube amp but do sound fantastic with a great SS DAP or DAC/amp.

The bottom line is that if you temper your expectations and still purchase them, you will enjoy them. If you buy them with expectations of what they are NOT, then you will sell them off like others that have done the same. They are truly an amazing set of headphones IMHO!
Very well put! And just on the bass response, I think what makes up for it sometimes feeling a bit lean in terms of bass quantity on some tracks is the bass quality and detail on offer is fantastic. I'd say it has a unique and enjoyable bass presentation in this regard, but if you're expecting to always feel (rather than hear) the bass then you might end up disappointed for *some* genres/tracks.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #4,183 of 4,891
Very well put! And just on the bass response, I think what makes up for it sometimes feeling a bit lean in terms of bass quantity on some tracks is the bass quality and detail on offer is fantastic. I'd say it has a unique and enjoyable bass presentation in this regard, but if you're expecting to always feel (rather than hear) the bass then you might end up disappointed for *some* genres/tracks.
Also well put! :)

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #4,184 of 4,891
I’m curious, have any Canadians here taken advantage of the Adorama deal? How much were you hit with customs fees?

Alternatively, has anyone asked any local retailers to try to price match? The Adorama deal says $299 + $43, which works out to about $450 CAD at the current exchange rate. By comparison, they’re sold for $550 CAD on Amazon.ca as well as at certain Canadian headphone stores. Are any stores willing to drop that $550 CAD to $450 CAD to buy from them rather than Adorama?

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #4,185 of 4,891

Very good. Good post. Lots of info and reassurances. About US seller and indeed my potential seller here for aftersales. And the perspective on their price fornwhat they are. I don't mind being told by strangers about their looks. At least, not all the time!.. Your post feeds back into my research which is very useful in bringing them back into the lane on the final bend to the finishing line. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back