Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Dec 10, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #4,142 of 4,891
They worked fine when I last listened to them, I stored them in their original box, and they didn’t work when I got them out last weekend.

I’ve got a lot of pairs of headphones, so they never got played much. I’d guess less than 40 hours.
I assume you have checked the cable? I use a Meze cable BTW.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #4,143 of 4,891
.... Nice unboxing, Is the Cobalt Dragonfly overkill?.... There is no balanced out? Is a balanced cable preferable so maybe I should get a DAC with a balanced out? IFI Audio HIP DAC 2 seems to have way more going for it than Dragonfly? ... Also shuold I order cables at the same time as ordering the Elegia? .. I wont ask about pads that can wait. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #4,144 of 4,891
.... Nice unboxing, Is the Cobalt Dragonfly overkill?.... There is no balanced out? Is a balanced cable preferable so maybe I should get a DAC with a balanced out? IFI Audio HIP DAC 2 seems to have way more going for it than Dragonfly? ... Also shuold I order cables at the same time as ordering the Elegia? .. I wont ask about pads that can wait. Thanks.

I have owned a DragonFly and the original hip-dac. The ONLY advantage of the DragonFly was its smaller size. Otherwise, the hip-dac blew it away for about the same price. Better sound, more power, better build quality, balanced input, bass boost, high and low gain settings.

I would recommend the hip-dac 2 over any DragonFly product.

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #4,145 of 4,891
I've got an Elegia arriving and will attempt the driver transplant to my Elear.

I'll be curious to see/hear if the Elgia driver is indeed "tuned" for it's intended purpose, or if the frequency response works well in the Elear chassis. Maybe it'll sounds more like a Clear.

Note, when it comes to specs (impedance & sensitivity), the Celestee and Radiance matches the Elegia. Other drivers in the family are close, but with some variations.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #4,146 of 4,891
I have owned a DragonFly and the original hip-dac. The ONLY advantage of the DragonFly was its smaller size. Otherwise, the hip-dac blew it away for about the same price. Better sound, more power, better build quality, balanced input, bass boost, high and low gain settings.

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #4,147 of 4,891

Will Elegia benefit from Hip Dac 2 ?I think maybe they are not difficult to drive

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #4,148 of 4,891
Will Elegia benefit from Hip Dac 2 ?I think maybe they are not difficult to drive
They are definitely not hard to drive; they can easily be driven from a smartphone. Having said that, I do believe they scale a bit from more power, though not near as much as some other head gear that I have owned.

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #4,149 of 4,891
They are definitely not hard to drive; they can easily be driven from a smartphone. Having said that, I do believe they scale a bit from more power, though not near as much as some other head gear that I have owned.
Ok thanks. I think coming from bluetooth headphones I can wait. But the cable stories making me consider ordering a whole other different make. I'll ask the shop their opinion on the supplied cable before I buy another one off them to go with the delivery!

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #4,150 of 4,891
If you aren't planning on running them from a balanced connection, I would just stick with stock cable unless you just can't stand it, or want a longer one. It doesn't sound bad (from my experience). I just like balanced connections better, and the cable is just too stiff for my likes.

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #4,151 of 4,891
If you aren't planning on running them from a balanced connection, I would just stick with stock cable unless you just can't stand it, or want a longer one. It doesn't sound bad (from my experience). I just like balanced connections better, and the cable is just too stiff for my likes.
Ok. Thanks again. I'll go with the stock and find out for myself about this "janky" descriptive people like to use. I'm sure I'll be fine with it.. and maybe look into the stellia dekoni pads later too.. and probably I'll leave the wrap on the headband to protect from staining!

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #4,152 of 4,891
Also in terms of clamping and seal which is a big deal. My head size is smaller size. For reference Sony WH XM3 over ears I need to put those at smallest setting.. I hear the Elegias are little "over clamping" for larger heads so I am hoping that this will be good for me. I have heard of headaches for the larger heads breaking them in. Promising also is the hinged cups that angle inwards and recess backwards when put on ears for a good seal. So seal is promising for me, there is a lot of people who proclaim about their big heads but there's also the other side of that which is the small heads and that is no joke either when it comes to seal.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #4,153 of 4,891
Can't compare to Cascade, but in no way the Elegia comes even remotely close in isolation and portability to iems

Elegia leaks quite a bit, but in planes and trains almost all of the leakage would be negated by background noise. Isolation from sound coming in is good, but you'd still easily hear noises from the plane. Personally, it doesn't bother me too much when I use it on the plane, but I wouldn't be surprised if it bothers you, especially coming from iem.

Of course... YMMV
I've heard clamp and isolation is good with Elegia

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #4,154 of 4,891
I've heard clamp and isolation is good with Elegia
For me it is just right IMO. I have a smaller head (maybe 2 clicks out on both sides). They are on the heavier side, but I don't feel that weight when on my head really at all because of this. :)

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #4,155 of 4,891
The Elegia is easy to drive. But almost every headphone will benefit from extra power and a better DAC chip. But to be fair, the DAC in the $9 Apple dongle is shockingly good for the price.

You could run your Elegia with an Apple dongle and get solid performance. But the Elegia will sound even better with the hip-dac 2.

I'd like to make another dongle recommendation for you with the Elegia: Qudelix 5K. The Qudelix has more power and a better DAC than the Apple dongle. It has Bluetooth. It has single-ended and balanced output. It has a built-in, 10-band parametric EQ, which comes in clutch for the Elegia due to what I consider slightly wonky midrange tuning. That can easily be fixed with EQ.

Sure, the Qudelix 5K is $110, $100 more than the Apple dongle. But it's still one of the best values in audiophilia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back