Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #1,696 of 4,866
I did demo the Elegia (stock cable) with my Chord Hugo2. It was a little warm for my taste, but definitely had real presence and detail. For a closed headphone I found it both revealing and spacious.
I have the Hugo 2 and Elegia's also. I think the Elegia's are very detailed but slightly warm sounding. I like that because it makes them a pretty good all around headphone with a variety of different genres of music. The H2 is fairly neutral and brings out the details in Elegia's, but I like them a lot more on my Burson 3XR. On the wrong amp the Elegia's midrange can sound congested like it does on my Liquid Platinum. I don't like the pairing with the current tubes I have.

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #1,697 of 4,866
Proud new owner of the Elegia! Picked these up on Friday and didn't have much time to sit and listen so had them pumping some tunes for a few days to help break them in. I got these for my office to use with my Topping DX3 Pro.

Coming from my Momentum 2.0 (over-ear wired) phones these are a HUGE upgrade. Based on some reading I was doing I thought I'd be missing the low-end but honestly I love what these do there so much more. Fast, punchy with great timing. Not really missing the over-emphasized bass that Momentum have at all to be honest.

I've ordered a pretty cheap New Neomusicia cable from Amazon as this will be less intrusive in the office, will see how that goes before I drop some bigger $.

Keen to spend some more time with these! I also gave them a go with my portable Oppo HA-2 and tested out the bass-boost too. Seems to work well enough on these, couldn't do with the Momentum. But think I would only use it for some content really.

Now to find a sexy headphone stand!

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,698 of 4,866
What's your price range? I can't name a single closed back that I'd recommend over the Elegia under the $700 price point that it seems to be going for right now. If you're willing to spend closer to $1000 and can find a used/refurb Audeze XC, those are technically strong too, leaning more towards the warm/dark tonality, versus Elegia which tilts brighter.

I'd maybe try out the Aeon Closed 2 (hear good things about them, I've only heard the first gen... they were good but not as good as the Elegia and lacked dynamicsm... I hear the new version is a significant improvement in that department). I can't flat out recommend it as I haven't tried it, but if you demo it, may be a good place to start.
Thank you for taking the time to respond :) My budget is under £1000, however I am reluctant to go used/ refurb (I just don't like taking risks, prefer the safety of a warranty with new purchases). Will have a look at the Aeons. My shortlist now consists of (in order of preference (before trying them out):
1. Focal Elegia (everything looks good about this option)
2. Meze 99 Classics with upgraded balanced cable
3. Aeon Closed 2

Will get a demo sorted out now, can't wait!

Thanks all for providing your feedback and advice, this forum is fantastic :)

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #1,699 of 4,866
Thank you for taking the time to respond :) My budget is under £1000, however I am reluctant to go used/ refurb (I just don't like taking risks, prefer the safety of a warranty with new purchases). Will have a look at the Aeons. My shortlist now consists of (in order of preference (before trying them out):
3. Aeon Closed 2

Will get a demo sorted out now, can't wait!

Thanks all for providing your feedback and advice, this forum is fantastic :)
That is actually a great shortlist for this price range. Just reminded of another option if you want to add another one to your short list, Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro. 4 totally different sound signatures that may cover your needs and make you happy.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,700 of 4,866
That is actually a great shortlist for this price range. Just reminded of another option if you want to add another one to your short list, Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro. 4 totally different sound signatures that may cover your needs and make you happy.
Awesome there the merrier! May have to book a whole day off work to get this demo in, but what a great day it will be! The shortlist is now:
3. Aeon Closed 2
4. Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro

Thanks again :beerchug:

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #1,701 of 4,866
Turns out the Meze cable was fine all along! The culprit was balanced output of the iFi Zen DAC. I had received the Zen the same day, and tested it with the Meze. It was my only 4.4mm option at the time. I had concluded the cable was at fault, due to both the rear and front Zen balanced ports outputting right-side only. I assumed the rear and front ports of the Zen were on different channels/circuits(?), it seems they were on the same.

Today the 3.5mm male to 4.4mm female adapter arrived. Seems to be of good quality, far as I can tell.

My current chain:
Roon Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt Youkamoo 3.5mm M to 4.mm F Meze 99 Classics 4.4mm Cable Focal Elegia

Listening to Tidal 44.1 or MQA tracks, this setup is finally revealing the sound I've been reading about!
The cable and adapter are both balanced, the Cobalt is not. This doesn't seem to be an issue, as far as I can tell.

Next up is the RME ADI-2 :)

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,702 of 4,866
Turns out the Meze cable was fine all along! The culprit was balanced output of the iFi Zen DAC. I had received the Zen the same day, and tested it with the Meze. It was my only 4.4mm option at the time. I had concluded the cable was at fault, due to both the rear and front Zen balanced ports outputting right-side only. I assumed the rear and front ports of the Zen were on different channels/circuits(?), it seems they were on the same.

Today the 3.5mm male to 4.4mm female adapter arrived. Seems to be of good quality, far as I can tell.

My current chain:
Roon Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt Youkamoo 3.5mm M to 4.mm F Meze 99 Classics 4.4mm Cable Focal Elegia

Listening to Tidal 44.1 or MQA tracks, this setup is finally revealing the sound I've been reading about!
The cable and adapter are both balanced, the Cobalt is not. This doesn't seem to be an issue, as far as I can tell.

Next up is the RME ADI-2 :)
Interesting stuff... if you end up getting the ADI-2 you'll be getting a LOT of power (comparatively) through XLR balanced connection for sure.

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,703 of 4,866
Interesting stuff... if you end up getting the ADI-2 you'll be getting a LOT of power (comparatively) through XLR balanced connection for sure.

Most worried about finding the right XLR cable that will work with the Elegia, probably gonna have to get a custom Corpse :xf_rolleyes:

Seems like I might be fine with the front SE outputs though, since the Elegias don't need a lot of power. What do you think?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #1,704 of 4,866
Most worried about finding the right XLR cable that will work with the Elegia, probably gonna have to get a custom Corpse :xf_rolleyes:

Seems like I might be fine with the front SE outputs though, since the Elegias don't need a lot of power. What do you think?
Oh yea single ended will be plenty IMO. The Elegia isn't terribly hard to drive at all, hell it powers up well even from my tiny Dragonfly Red. That being said, not to sure about the balanced 4.4 on the ADI. I might suggest you go for a 1/4" though, if you're worried about XLR. There are plenty of solid 1/4" cables for the elegia that wont cost you much over $50, if that :).

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,705 of 4,866
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,707 of 4,866
too bad they don't ship to AUS through Amazon.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #1,708 of 4,866
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,710 of 4,866
Hello guys I got redirected here.
Can someone help me with this topic?
I desperately need durable focal earpads for my elegia.
Dekoni Elite Sheepskin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back