Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 13, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,726 of 4,866
Hi there.. I have been ordering to iceland from the uk and the usa without problems 🤘i am about to pull the chord on some dekoni's for my 1990's and the elegia.
Shhhh, I've been using that excuse to talk myself out of ordering things :p

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #1,727 of 4,866
Shhhh, I've been using that excuse to talk myself out of ordering things :p
Hehehe. Still, shipping is still absolute murder. 50 to 75 bucks often. Sometimes less sometimes more.
Now thats a good excuse! 😝

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,728 of 4,866
Doing some comparisons of Elegia's with the Hugo 2 and Burson Conductor 3XR. The Elegia pairs brilliantly on both. The 3XR seems to have better control of the Elegia's drivers. Dynamics are slightly improved and snappier on the 3XR. Bass hits a little deeper and has more impact as well on the 3XR. The midrange is very good on both, but on the 3XR the Elegia's sounds more full bodied. The treble on Hugo 2 gets the nod. The Elegia's sound more open, more transparent on it. The 3XR isn't rolled off by any means, it gives up some transparency in favor of a more musical presentation. The 3XR has more P.R.A.T. I'm finding myself simply bobbing my head and grooving to some reggae music a lot more with the 3XR/Elegia paring in comparison Hugo2/Elegia pairing.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,729 of 4,866
Thanks, sounds good. Looking at both the Elegia and trying to work out whether I want to get the mojo too. I too have a whole bunch of FLAC lossless on a NAS drive and use Tidal.

If you don't listen beyond moderately loud volumes and don't use a lot of bass boost, look into the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle. Runs about $40 on AliExpress.

Measures extremely accurate (more accurate than Mojo), and I cannot tell the difference between it and my JDS Labs Atom and Topping D50 within the dongles amp limits. See these reviews to learn more. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,730 of 4,866
So I just ordered a pair of Elegia, couldn't pass up the recent sale.

I definitely like strong mids which I understand these have but how should I eq them for a stronger bass response?

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #1,731 of 4,866

I definitely like strong mids which I understand these have but how should I eq them for a stronger bass response?

I was confused by your question, because the answer seems to be to increase the bass using EQ. Are you wondering what software to use?

Others have reported that using the Dekoni sheepskin pads can increase the bass response, too.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #1,732 of 4,866
I was confused by your question, because the answer seems to be to increase the bass using EQ. Are you wondering what software to use?

Others have reported that using the Dekoni sheepskin pads can increase the bass response, too.

No, like what EQ settings, ie. which frequencies to boost and in the treble, which ones to lower (if recommended).

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,733 of 4,866

+2dB, low-shelf filter at 83 Hz using Peace (a graphical front-end for EqualizerAPO). I took this from Resolve's EQ settings, which is based on rtings' target curve for the Elegia that he tweaked to his own liking (see his Elegia review on the HeadphoneShow).

On related note, I do not agree with his 4.5kHz and 8kHz settings though because (to my ears) it amplified resonances (e.g. tambourine jingles) that proved to be fatiguing. Other than lowering his gain settings there, I mostly use the rest of his EQ settings for the Elegia.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #1,734 of 4,866
+2dB, low-shelf filter at 83 Hz using Peace (a graphical front-end for EqualizerAPO). I took this from Resolve's EQ settings, which is based on a rtings' target curve for the Elegia
that he tweaked to his own liking.

Thanks, will give that at try. I use Roon which has a really good EQ feature.

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,735 of 4,866
Thanks, will give that at try. I use Roon which has a really good EQ feature.
I have been listening to the Elegia's non stop since receiving them two weeks ago and I am completely not inclined to EQ them, I have played around with various EQ's and each time return to using them flat. I just think that music sounds the way it's intended and I am ok with that. Music with heavy base sounds that way and music that is soft or bright sounds that way. To me EQ does not = fun. If I really like a poorly recorded album, then I might reach for the EQ.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,737 of 4,866
I have been listening to the Elegia's non stop since receiving them two weeks ago and I am completely not inclined to EQ them, I have played around with various EQ's and each time return to using them flat. I just think that music sounds the way it's intended and I am ok with that. Music with heavy base sounds that way and music that is soft or bright sounds that way. To me EQ does not = fun. If I really like a poorly recorded album, then I might reach for the EQ.

I just feel it needs more bass especially for when listening to certain music. From what I've heard, it doesn't need any additional EQ in the mids or highs though.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #1,739 of 4,866

Users who are viewing this thread

Back