Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #1,666 of 4,891
Well, mine finally showed up. I've been burning them in for three days now, and only have one weirdness. When I play my other lower impedance headphones on my Fiio M11, the volume stays around 75. When I play balanced headphones from it, volume is fine around 50. So I was doing some A/Bing, and when I plugged in the Elegias using the Meze 99 2.5mm balanced cable, output was lower than I expected. I had to crank it to 75, which I found strange, because they are only 35ohm/105dB/mW and pretty easy to drive on paper. All connections seemed to be solid, and it sounded fine, but I thought it was odd. My 32ohm/107dB/mW IEMS play much louder through the same input.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,667 of 4,891
How easy is to swap pads on the Elegia, the pads seems pretty tightly affixed?

Yea like was said earlier, you just need to pull them off of the plastic fixtures... Legitimately one of my favorite aspects of the focal design here, no need to mess with annoying adhesives or anything, just pull them and swap with ease...

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,668 of 4,891
I bought a pair of these on Amazon, supposedly new. Right out of the box, there was a strong odor. Perfume-like, emanating from inside the case. I unzipped the case and found the source to be the pads. It's not an unpleasant smell, just very strange. Ironically it smells somewhat like a high-end French perfume.
Has anyone else noticed a strong, perfume-like smell?

Today, the stock cable stopped working on the left side. It works sporadically when I push in and twist the plug different directions.

I'm thinking the Amazon seller sold me a pair of used cans. I'm trying to get a partial refund. I like them, but not enough to justify paying $150 more than the "Used - Like New" condition cans.

Also I'm looking at the Meze 4.4mm cable as a replacement for the stock. It says it's a balanced cable, but I don't have a balanced DAC. I'm using a Dragonfly Cobalt. Is the Meze still a good-buy with an unbalanced DAC?

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,670 of 4,891
I bought a pair of these on Amazon, supposedly new. Right out of the box, there was a strong odor. Perfume-like, emanating from inside the case. I unzipped the case and found the source to be the pads. It's not an unpleasant smell, just very strange. Ironically it smells somewhat like a high-end French perfume.
Has anyone else noticed a strong, perfume-like smell?

Today, the stock cable stopped working on the left side. It works sporadically when I push in and twist the plug different directions.

I'm thinking the Amazon seller sold me a pair of used cans. I'm trying to get a partial refund. I like them, but not enough to justify paying $150 more than the "Used - Like New" condition cans.

Also I'm looking at the Meze 4.4mm cable as a replacement for the stock. It says it's a balanced cable, but I don't have a balanced DAC. I'm using a Dragonfly Cobalt. Is the Meze still a good-buy with an unbalanced DAC?

My stock cable had the exact same issue. It's notoriously awful though, so perhaps not the case that you got a used pair, but just that the terrible cable died quickly... I'd recommend getting a pair of NewFantasia cables on Amazon, which can be bought for around 20 bucks. I've had zero problems after ditching the old, horribly designed cable. If there's one negative that I could name for the Elegia, it's the cable... everything else has been fantastic for me.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #1,671 of 4,891
My stock cable had the exact same issue. It's notoriously awful though, so perhaps not the case that you got a used pair, but just that the terrible cable died quickly... I'd recommend getting a pair of NewFantasia cables on Amazon, which can be bought for around 20 bucks. I've had zero problems after ditching the old, horribly designed cable. If there's one negative that I could name for the Elegia, it's the cable... everything else has been fantastic for me.

I stayed away from the NewFantasia's because of a post I saw in this thread, but they were tempting because of the price. I just ordered the Meze 99 cable, do you think it's worth it? Meze is a balanced cable, and I don't have a balanced dac. Should I go with the NewFanstasia instead?

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #1,672 of 4,891
yeah...not a Elegia problem, but a whole Focal line problem. So just try to get a second hand one like the guys are suggesting. If the one you bought is still under warranty, try contacting the Dealer and get a replacement, everyone here that did that got it replaced no question asked.

EDIT.: Do you have any plan to get a balanced DAC/AMP? if not, get a standard Single Ended. if you have any plan, get the Balanced cable and an adaptor.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #1,673 of 4,891
yeah...not a Elegia problem, but a whole Focal line problem. So just try to get a second hand one like the guys are suggesting. If the one you bought is still under warranty, try contacting the Dealer and get a replacement, everyone here that did that got it replaced no question asked.

Sent an email a bit ago about the cable, hopefully they replace it. They refunded me 200 after I called them out. No response, just a refund. Ha..

Which cable did you go with Croc?

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #1,674 of 4,891
I refund would be much better than a new (ready to fail again cable).

I'm going with the Cardas Parsec v2. Only because is easier for me to get from a local dealer. But if not I would go with Meze's balanced. (shipping fee is a killer for Meze's option)

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #1,675 of 4,891
I stayed away from the NewFantasia's because of a post I saw in this thread, but they were tempting because of the price. I just ordered the Meze 99 cable, do you think it's worth it? Meze is a balanced cable, and I don't have a balanced dac. Should I go with the NewFanstasia instead?

If you like the Meze cables, get those single-ended? Then you can use them with whatever DAC you have right? If not, I can tell you the NewFantasia has been excellent in my experience. Not a single issue since I've had them, and it's been nearly a year.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,676 of 4,891
I refund would be much better than a new (ready to fail again cable).

I'm going with the Cardas Parsec v2. Only because is easier for me to get from a local dealer. But if not I would go with Meze's balanced. (shipping fee is a killer for Meze's option)
Same cable I am waiting for. I can say, from the tests I've had with it, bloody awesome cable :D but Addicted To Audio has taken a good damn whileto get it in stock :/

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #1,677 of 4,891
Same cable I am waiting for. I can say, from the tests I've had with it, bloody awesome cable :D but Addicted To Audio has taken a good damn whileto get it in stock :/
I'm getting from them...Soon! (I hope)

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #1,678 of 4,891
Interesting...you’re not the first to say that. Well, maybe I’ll shoot for a set of Clears.

Clear will probably be my next open back. With the Elegia, I am really digging Focal's tuning and build.

I recommend you try out this track by Chlara on the Elegia. The clarity and acoustic reproduction from the Elegia amazed me and gave me chill when I listened last night:

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,679 of 4,891

I use these NewFantasia on both my Elears and Elegia and am quite happy with them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q282FKV/

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #1,680 of 4,891
...With the Elegia, I am really digging Focal's tuning and build.

I'm with you on that !

I got my pair today and I'm impressed. The build is quite good and the sound is great. Very comparable to the higher end Focal models I liked but didn't think were worth the money. These will do just fine.

And yes, this cable is pretty silly !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back