Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #6,706 of 6,742
Well, I finally received the new drivers I purchased, installed them and now the headphones are working well again.

My dealer first quoted me $325 for replacement drivers, and I sent them payment. Then Focal reached out to charge me $550 + shipping; apparently $325 is the dealer cost. There was a lot of emails & confusion between Focal and the dealer, but in the end the dealer sent me the drivers. Kudos to them for selling the drivers at cost, and dealing with the Focal headache.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #6,707 of 6,742
a local electrical firm opened my Elear. They said they could not resolver the wire and suggested two new drivers. The cost is £400 plus repair costs. As I only paid £475 a few years ago I don’t see the sense in paying hat much. Very disappointed.

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #6,708 of 6,742
a local electrical firm opened my Elear. They said they could not resolver the wire and suggested two new drivers. The cost is £400 plus repair costs. As I only paid £475 a few years ago I don’t see the sense in paying hat much. Very disappointed.
Sorry to hear this mate, my time with Focal has been bitter-sweet.

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Focal after what's happened with my Elear.

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #6,709 of 6,742
Just got these.

I use amp sims etc to play guitar on my PC, and play through headphones a lot. I've gotta say there is something weird going on with the Elear, I have some Clear pads on the way to test them out. I assumed they'd be similar to the Clear, but I am detecting something odd in the midrange. Playing through them just feels, odd? Like something is slightly missing in the mid range

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #6,710 of 6,742
Sorry to hear this mate, my time with Focal has been bitter-sweet.

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Focal after what's happened with my Elear.
Got to say it, My drivers were both changed free of charge after 1 failed and all was covered within the extended 5 years extended warranty. Had only to pay for international shipping.

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #6,711 of 6,742
Well, I finally received the new drivers I purchased, installed them and now the headphones are working well again.

My dealer first quoted me $325 for replacement drivers, and I sent them payment. Then Focal reached out to charge me $550 + shipping; apparently $325 is the dealer cost. There was a lot of emails & confusion between Focal and the dealer, but in the end the dealer sent me the drivers. Kudos to them for selling the drivers at cost, and dealing with the Focal headache.
Really? Those are the cost of the replacement drivers? At that point, might as well buy a used Elex and use Elear pads if that's really the tuning you're after.

I've seen some guy replace their Elears for like the 8th time. I'm actually more surprised at the patience and perseverance of those considering after like a 3rd unit replacement, most people would stay away.

For the multiple costs of replacing drivers, why not just buy a Clear? The voice coil is a bit thicker so atleast that's hardier in terms of durability.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #6,712 of 6,742
Im sure a new pair will come matched but to make a repair a reasonable affair I am fairly confident the differences would not be nearly as audible as 1 driver NOT WORKING. A lot of manufacturers of speakers do not go to the trouble of matching drivers I have yet to hear a pair of drivers that were off the shelf where the minor measurements differences were audible. Im sure some golden ear folk can tell. I am also sure most can not and personally I would buy a 300 - 350.00 used pair and make my repairs. 600 for a new pair of drivers is quite high especially since Focal knows this has been an issue for some time
Agree about the audible difference but mostly it's about the psychological factor :relaxed:

May 7, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #6,713 of 6,742
Rightio, so after a couple of weeks with these and the Clear pads, they're a big winner. With the Clear pads.

I've owned most of the focal lineup, upto Stellia, I never bothered with Utopia. I can say with a good deal of certainty that these are right up there with Clear/Stellia in a lot of ways, you lose a bit of elegance and delicacy, but you gain some vibrancy and a more 'in your face' character, which I think the Clear needed tbh.

Think if anyone getting into audio asks my advice it'll be buy a used Elear + clear pads or get an elex. For £300 this is insane performance.

May 12, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #6,714 of 6,742
took my headphones to Audio T Cardiff. They got in touch with Naim who are partners with Focal. They told them it would cost £400 to replace both drivers. I got in touch with Naim saying I was not happy as I only had them for a few years. They emailed back to say that’s what they charge. Not very helpful.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #6,715 of 6,742
Anything that sounds similar to the Elear? Looking for something new but not that far from Elear's signature. Looking for something as dynamic, dark and punchy as Elear.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #6,718 of 6,742
I bought an open-box pair of Elegias because I wanted some closed-back headphones, a backup in case my Elears ever fail and the price was ridiculously cheap. Once broken in I found them perfect for the music I listen to (Folk, Americana, Bluegrass, jazz and pop vocals, Classical....) if well recorded. Poor recordings not so much. I hardly listen to my Elears (with Clear or Sendy Aiva pads) or my Grado Symphones V9 clones at all since I picked up the Elegias. I think they're a steal at their present prices!!!

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #6,719 of 6,742
Anything that sounds similar to the Elear? Looking for something new but not that far from Elear's signature. Looking for something as dynamic, dark and punchy as Elear.
If budget is no issue go for the Utopia, it’s. The final game.

Jun 18, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #6,720 of 6,742
Something from Audeze will get you a similar sound, but smoother. I'd look into LCD2 or 3 if you want warmth. Some of that 'warmth' you're perceiving is the relatively recessed midrange. You won't get that with Clear, for example. If you have Elear already and and want to get close to Clear's sound without a whole new headphone, buy Elex or Clear earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back