Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #6,691 of 6,742
Focal agreed to sell the replacement driver pair for $325. I'm going to proceed with buying them. I'll let you know how it all works out.
I'm starting to truly despise the Focal company.

Now that the dealer has opened the ticket with Focal to order the drivers, Focal emailed me saying replacement drivers cost $550 + shipping. There seems to be a lot of confusion in the emails from Focal with me repeatedly having to explain the situation, correct misunderstanding, etc. Definitely in my Top 10 worst customer service experiences.

Damn, I wish I realized my Elear were broken before I ordered the Focal Utopia 2022, or I'd never have given this company another penny.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #6,692 of 6,742

Now that the dealer has opened the ticket with Focal to order the drivers, Focal emailed me saying replacement drivers cost $550 + shipping. There seems to be a lot of confusion in the emails from Focal with me repeatedly having to explain the situation, correct misunderstanding, etc. Definitely in my Top 10 worst customer service experiences.

Damn, I wish I realized my Elear were broken before I ordered the Focal Utopia 2022, or I'd never have given this company another penny.
That's disappointed, very sorry to hear that, that's 55% of msrp, i suggest you refuse and dont take it, like sony, i guess the better way is to buy used perfect unit one instead of repairing your unit/buy driver from them.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #6,693 of 6,742
That's disappointed, very sorry to hear that, that's 55% of msrp, i suggest you refused and dont take it, like sony, i guess the better way is to buy used perfect unit one instead of repairing your unit/buy driver from them.
It shows how Focal treats their customers: release a defective product, then try to fleece them when it breaks.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #6,695 of 6,742

really sorry to hear that. I will stay away from Focal as well because I have a Focal speaker set broken soon after warranty expired

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #6,698 of 6,742
For the record and archives, and to help shine light on this matter and for the other members that have gone through this experience.

These pictures are of my failed left driver of my Elear.

This is the wiring from the (we'll say) right side of the driver, looks to have completed detached from the (I'm guessing) PCB.

IMG_20230218_013204.jpg

Can you see that tiny hair-like copper wire, this and another wiring that is keeping this headphone from FAILING.
IMG_20230218_013206.jpg

This is the other side with exact same wiring, again has come away from the PCB.
IMG_20230218_013222.jpg

Other notes: The black rubber-like rim surrounding the M-Shape dome helps move the driver up and down. As you can probably see, the wiring doesn't have too much slack before breaking. I couldn't be bothered opening up the right-side driver as I didn't have the time or care any more for this failed headphone, but I could probably imagine that the wiring is still connected and hanging for dear life. I am no way a professional at this but I can see how 'PRONE' to failure this DESIGN is!

Never meet your makers, and once bitten 'TWICE' as shy.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #6,700 of 6,742
How did they get away with charging so much for these headphones. Mine are in their box now. I am so frustrated.😒
Why are they in the box and why are you frustrated?

Feb 20, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #6,703 of 6,742
How did they get away with charging so much for these headphones. Mine are in their box now. I am so frustrated.😒
I guess they treat their line up product like some luxury car maintenance, like Ferarri in car as example, the cost of fix is definitely higher than usual car if you broke them, but yeah you can fix them still but it depends, how far will you go, you want to pay or just move on... to be fair audeze also kindda expensive to fix their lcd2 as example if they are broken, next time do research on repair cost 1st before decided to buy i guess..

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #6,704 of 6,742
I guess they treat their line up product like some luxury car maintenance, like Ferarri in car as example, the cost of fix is definitely higher than usual car if you broke them, but yeah you can fix them still but it depends, how far will you go, you want to pay or just move on... to be fair audeze also kindda expensive to fix their lcd2 as example if they are broken, next time do research on repair cost 1st before decided to buy i guess..
Bad example.

Focal admitted that the drivers in Elear and other early models were defective. Despite that, they rape their customers to replace the drivers when they fail outside of warranty: current price for new drivers is $550 + shipping. Meanwhile, you can buy other Focal headphones with largely the same drivers (like the Elegia) for ~$300. The markup on the replacement drivers are likely 2000% or more - after customers already paid a premium $1000 when buying the headphones.

So to use your analogy, it'd be like someone buys a $300K Ferrari, and when a known defective part breaks they charge $165K to replace it (parts only, no labor) - or the $300K Ferrari is now undriveable, worthless. Meanwhile, you could buy another full car which contains the same part for $90K.

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #6,705 of 6,742
Bad example.

Focal admitted that the drivers in Elear and other early models were defective. Despite that, they rape their customers to replace the drivers when they fail outside of warranty: current price for new drivers is $550 + shipping. Meanwhile, you can buy other Focal headphones with largely the same drivers (like the Elegia) for ~$300. The markup on the replacement drivers are likely 2000% or more - after customers already paid a premium $1000 when buying the headphones.

So to use your analogy, it'd be like someone buys a $300K Ferrari, and when a known defective part breaks they charge $165K to replace it (parts only, no labor) - or the $300K Ferrari is now undriveable, worthless. Meanwhile, you could buy another full car which contains the same part for $90K.
Yeah, somehow that's their business model, it's sad, but for that mistake, they stated before they already only offer extend their warranty for 5 years if the elear/utopia bought officially by authorized dealer and they think that's already enough, im lucky my elear still on warranty period, but im agree this kindda not good business practice, i also read in utopia thread (CMIIW), the utopia driver replacement also expensive, like 2000 dollar IIRC :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back