Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #6,721 of 6,742
Something from Audeze will get you a similar sound, but smoother. I'd look into LCD2 or 3 if you want warmth. Some of that 'warmth' you're perceiving is the relatively recessed midrange. You won't get that with Clear, for example. If you have Elear already and and want to get close to Clear's sound without a whole new headphone, buy Elex or Clear earpads.
Just hope the Elear don’t stop working on the left side. Mine are in the cupboard now as Focal wanted £450 for new drivers😰

Jun 19, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #6,723 of 6,742
Something from Audeze will get you a similar sound, but smoother. I'd look into LCD2 or 3 if you want warmth. Some of that 'warmth' you're perceiving is the relatively recessed midrange. You won't get that with Clear, for example. If you have Elear already and and want to get close to Clear's sound without a whole new headphone, buy Elex or Clear earpads.
And I would suggest LCD 2 Classic if you want deep bass but mind that you are going towards Planar magnetic phones

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #6,724 of 6,742
I had the Elear with Clear OG pads for a good while and did not want for the Clear at all.
Yea. Try Clear pads. It’s what I have on mine as well. Headphones.com still has them for $80 for the pair. That’s much better than the $200 a pair that they used to go for.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #6,725 of 6,742
Yea. Try Clear pads. It’s what I have on mine as well. Headphones.com still has them for $80 for the pair. That’s much better than the $200 a pair that they used to go for.
Would you consider it an upgrade on the stock Elear pads or just a different sound signature ?

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #6,726 of 6,742
Would you consider it an upgrade on the stock Elear pads or just a different sound signature ?
Honestly not once did I ever even try the Elear with the stock pads. I bought the Elear from Headphones.com a few years back and at the time they were offering the Elear with the stock pads, but you could also choose either Clear pads or Utopia pads to get with them. They were out of Clear pads at the time, so I went with Utopia pads, and then eventually bought Clear pads separately, and sold the Utopia pads and the unused Elear pads to cover the cost of the Clear pads I had bought.

But the Elear with Clear pads is the same thing as the Elex. The Elex measures somewhat close to the Clear. In some ways better, and in some ways a little worse.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #6,727 of 6,742
Honestly not once did I ever even try the Elear with the stock pads. I bought the Elear from Headphones.com a few years back and at the time they were offering the Elear with the stock pads, but you could also choose either Clear pads or Utopia pads to get with them. They were out of Clear pads at the time, so I went with Utopia pads, and then eventually bought Clear pads separately, and sold the Utopia pads and the unused Elear pads to cover the cost of the Clear pads I had bought.

But the Elear with Clear pads is the same thing as the Elex. The Elex measures somewhat close to the Clear. In some ways better, and in some ways a little worse.
Wanted to know if it's worth switching the pads but it's out of stock currently 😒

Jun 21, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #6,728 of 6,742
Wanted to know if it's worth switching the pads but it's out of stock currently 😒
I have tried both, and I wasn't sure at first, went back and forth a bit. Eventually decided to stick with the Elex pads.

Elear pads bring more midbass and upper treble, and recess the midrange. Result is a V-shaped signature, whereas the other pads are more balanced, which brings forward the midrange. I think there's a pretty noticeable difference across the board. Personally I like the balanced sound because it feels more coherent to me, and I feel the bass is a bit tighter, mids are less full. With the elear pads, I do like the midbass, but the effect on vocals and overall clarity of the mix disappoints me if this is already there in the mix, and the treble is fatiguing with some of my music.

It's gonna depend on your tastes. Elex is more balanced and tight, Elear is fuller and rounder sounding, with a more sparkly upper octave. Not sure if they still do this, but Drop used to have Elex pad sales, that's how I got mine, more affordable than Clear pads and are black. Good luck, hopefully if you want to give it a try, they get some stock back.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #6,729 of 6,742
I have tried both, and I wasn't sure at first, went back and forth a bit. Eventually decided to stick with the Elex pads.

Elear pads bring more midbass and upper treble, and recess the midrange. Result is a V-shaped signature, whereas the other pads are more balanced, which brings forward the midrange. I think there's a pretty noticeable difference across the board. Personally I like the balanced sound because it feels more coherent to me, and I feel the bass is a bit tighter, mids are less full. With the elear pads, I do like the midbass, but the effect on vocals and overall clarity of the mix disappoints me if this is already there in the mix, and the treble is fatiguing with some of my music.

It's gonna depend on your tastes. Elex is more balanced and tight, Elear is fuller and rounder sounding, with a more sparkly upper octave. Not sure if they still do this, but Drop used to have Elex pad sales, that's how I got mine, more affordable than Clear pads and are black. Good luck, hopefully if you want to give it a try, they get some stock back.
Seems a different signature with the different pads and depends on musical taste. Will wait for them to stock back.

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #6,730 of 6,742
The Elear coupled with Violectric amps comes to life 👌

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #6,732 of 6,742
The elear is Not expensive anymore for < 500 €. I own the XS for Gaming, Movies and Rock Music. Is the elear a good dynamic counterpart or outdated and wonky with the original Pads?
If you want dynamic, seek no further than the HD800S

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #6,734 of 6,742
Sep 22, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #6,735 of 6,742
If you want dynamic, seek no further than the HD800S
They sound great, very detailed, airy, non fatiguing. I still find the bass lacking, in extension, quantity (it's pretty rolled off) and also slam. The midrange is wonderful though.

I'm still looking for some cans with the dynamic punch, dynamics, bass extension and relatively easy driveability of the Elears (I use them for some guitar noodling and studio interfaces aren't famous for their excellent headphone amps), but without the wonkiness of the Elears' frequency response, even with the massdrop Elex/Clear pads. I think that Clear OG would be my best bet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back