Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #5,926 of 6,742
I use this cable too and I'm happy with it. I can't hear any difference between this cable and the original, so this one works well for me.

And it's not overly stiff or flimsy. I don't know what's inside, like what kind of wire and how thick, but it works.

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #5,927 of 6,742
These things (with the Utopia pads) are so good! All my music sounds sooo good and I have yet to find a single thing to complain about with these. Using a Topping NX4DSD playing Amazon Music HD and the detail retrieval is great, but at the same time this headphone still sounds "fun" enough too.

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #5,928 of 6,742
Hey folks I’m new to Focal but have been using headphones for 60ish years. I’m gonna grab an Elear bundle with case, pads etc....
My question is can they play nice with DAPS (DX200, DX160 inbound) or do I absolutely need an amp also to get them moving?
Thanks
Ed

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #5,929 of 6,742
Hey folks I’m new to Focal but have been using headphones for 60ish years. I’m gonna grab an Elear bundle with case, pads etc....
My question is can they play nice with DAPS (DX200, DX160 inbound) or do I absolutely need an amp also to get them moving?
Thanks
Ed

They don't really need all that much power. 80 ohms and 104dB at 1mW sensitivity. They do very well on just a Topping NX4DSD on low gain at 10 to 11 o'clock on the volume dial.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #5,930 of 6,742
I'm using this cable. https://www.amazon.com/NEW-NEOMUSICIA-Replacement-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B01LYS3MM8

I've actually been using this same brand and model of cable on an HD650 and a Q701 as well. It's a good cable, especially for the price. I'm not a believer in cables doing enough to bother spending $100 or more on a cable.

The Elear needs power, but not a ton of power. I feel that a headphone at this price point and this capability deserves a decent amp and a decent DAC, with that said, I don't believe that you need to spend a ton on either. I use a Topping NX4DSD for mine on low gain and never have to exceed the 12 o'clock position. I've had this amp/DAC for about a year and a half and it's always done me well.

The day I got them I listened to them first with my phone and a supposedly crappy Hidizs Sonata HDII USB-C dongle and only needed about 15 to 18 out of 30 to get them to be plenty loud. I have a Meizu Pro dongle coming that I plan to use with my Elear as well. 3x the power of the Hidizs, and it measures better in every way from what I've read, and it's just built better. I still plan to mainly use the NX4DSD plugged into my laptop, but there may be times I use these with my phone and the Meizu Pro dongle. I figured when I wanted to use a dongle the Elear deserved better than a $26 Hidizs Sonata HDII.
Thank you I will order that cable it looks pretty nice. And I figured they didn't need much power since my motherboard can get them really loud right now. But I know i'm going to order more headphones eventually that would need some power like lcd-2c. So I was thinking of picking up a Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology or maybe a JDS Labs Element II. I cant decide, I really like the look and display on the Monoprice amp but I hear JDS makes really nice stuff.

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #5,931 of 6,742
Thanks
Ed
Hi, Yeah agree with Jason, Elear is quite easy to drive... even hearing direct from my smartphone Galaxy NOTE8 is enough.
Additional Amp will make it more authoritative sounding... but try not overshoot it... even with NX4DSD already shine enough for my daily usage....

my suggestion, get experiment with ear pads will be quite adventure

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #5,933 of 6,742
Just pulled the trigger on the Elear. Also picked up a set of pads (Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin Earpad Set) that should improve overall sound.

I found reviews that actually rank the Elear higher than the Focal Clear. Check out the Sonarworks Gear reviews for more on this.

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #5,934 of 6,742
Ahhh, I got my adapters for the eikons! Very excited, they're my favourite pad so far for the Elear.

Much less impressed with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskins, way too uncomfortable sadly. I am thinking about selling them tbqh.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #5,935 of 6,742
I'll post what I think about the pads once they arrive. The feedback I've come across is mostly positive regarding the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskins pads. The perforated pads should make the response curve closer to the Harmon standard.

Comfort is different for each individual.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #5,937 of 6,742
I'll post what I think about the pads once they arrive. The feedback I've come across is mostly positive regarding the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskins pads. The perforated pads should make the response curve closer to the Harmon standard.

Comfort is different for each individual.

Oh most definitely! I found my experience to be quite different with them vs most people, but I also happen to wear glasses. I do think the eikon pads distribute the clamp force very, *very* well. They're the perforated lambskin, version. I'll post pics once I get my custom cable.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #5,938 of 6,742
Oh most definitely! I found my experience to be quite different with them vs most people, but I also happen to wear glasses. I do think the eikon pads distribute the clamp force very, *very* well. They're the perforated lambskin, version. I'll post pics once I get my custom cable.

Ah! I can understand where you are coming from. I don't wear glasses, which would surely make a difference.

Many people complain about the pads on the Abyss Diana V1. While I can see how that could be, I personally do not have any issues with them.

Apr 11, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #5,940 of 6,742
Does this thing have quality control issue? Or has the issue been fixed. The Elex seems to be a disaster.

There is still supposedly the driver "clipping" issue but I haven't run into that yet. The way it's described sounds more like the driver bottoming out or running out of excursion. To me clipping isn't the right word. But again, I haven't experienced this at all yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back