Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #5,851 of 6,742
Thank you everyone for the answers. Seems like the elears are a bit more for the heavier music and the clears for classical and acoustic.

Depends on the person. I Like my Elears for classical and acoustic. I haven't used my HD6XX since I got the Elears.

What headphones are you coming from?

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #5,852 of 6,742
I haven't used my good old Elear in quite sometime so I figured it was time to see how they sound on my SMSL SP200 THX amp. Like with every other headphone I've used on that amp the Elear sounded better than ever. The clarity was great and I felt like they had even more depth now which is huge since that's one of my favorite parts about the Elear. I would have never guessed an amp could have this much of an affect on headphones but with that THX tech it's like listening to a new headphone because they sound so different now. I'm going to spend the rest of the day (at least when I can) enjoying my Elear again.

You think that sounds good, try adding a dac like the Topping D50s DAC.
I have the SMSL SP 200 and just added the dac yesterday and wow. It sounds amazing!

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #5,853 of 6,742
I tried my Clear pads on my Elex and I didn’t like it. It sounded like a less detailed and muddier version of the Clear, and it didn’t (to my ears) sound as good as the Elex//Dekoni pads on the Elex. I also tried the Elex and Dekoni pads on the Clear and didn’t like that either, as it took away what I perceive as the very nice timbre of the Clear without delivering the fun factor of the Elex.

To each his own though and at this level of headphone quality it’s mostly about personal preference rather than “better”
I was under the impression that the Elex and Clear shared the same pads. My pads are actually Elex pads purchased from massdrop, so should be like the Elex. Sorry if I somehow misinformed anyone with this, my impressions are that of Elear with Elex pads.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #5,854 of 6,742
Totally agree. I may be the only one, but I like my Elears best with their original pads. Some other pads I tried, like the Utopias, made them sound more ‘neutral’, perhaps, but at the expense of that special magic fun factor with which the Elears are born at the factory, an innate, unmeasurable characteristic which I prefer to the less luscious sound signature of it’s costlier siblings. The Elears remain my favorite dynamic headphone for simply relaxing with my tunes. Maybe I’m an audio hedonist - I prefer to use whatever gives me the most musical pleasure, not what some graph says is ‘measurably superior’.

+1 on Elears with stock Elear pads -- I have the Elear and the Elex both, and I haven't tried the Elear with the Elex pads because I don't want to, lol -- I like the Elear the way they are, and the Elex are great and I love those, too, for being less colored than the Elear, but when I put on the Elear it's because I want to hear the Elear, not the Elex or "near-Clear", so to speak.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #5,855 of 6,742
Depends on the person. I Like my Elears for classical and acoustic. I haven't used my HD6XX since I got the Elears.

What headphones are you coming from?

I’m actually coming from some campfire audio cascades because I also like headphones that gives you really nice slam. They made me stop listening to classical though. They were too Bassy. I could only listen to one type of music. I hope to get some headphones to enjoy acoustic and classical and then when I want to listen to other genres I’ll use my LZ A4 because I haven’t got money for 2 pairs of good headphones.
Would you say the elear has a sparkly and exciting treble that makes it good for classical?

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5,856 of 6,742
I’m actually coming from some campfire audio cascades because I also like headphones that gives you really nice slam. They made me stop listening to classical though. They were too Bassy. I could only listen to one type of music. I hope to get some headphones to enjoy acoustic and classical and then when I want to listen to other genres I’ll use my LZ A4 because I haven’t got money for 2 pairs of good headphones.
Would you say the elear has a sparkly and exciting treble that makes it good for classical?

Based on these measurements for the cascades, I think you will find the Elears much more balanced in bass output
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/campfire-audio-cascade/

I am not a treble person. Unless headphones are too dark or too bright, I pay way more attention to how the mids and bass sound. So best I not comment on the treble other than to say it's less demure than the HD6XX/HD650.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #5,857 of 6,742
Based on these measurements for the cascades, I think you will find the Elears much more balanced in bass output
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/campfire-audio-cascade/

I am not a treble person. Unless headphones are too dark or too bright, I pay way more attention to how the mids and bass sound. So best I not comment on the treble other than to say it's less demure than the HD6XX/HD650.

If the HD-600 (which I adore), are the gorgeous but reserved intellectual, the Elear are the younger, more exuberant, curvier sibling (think of Emily and Zoe Deschanel (sp.?))

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #5,858 of 6,742
I pay way more attention to how the mids and bass sound
Yes... This is the reason I prefer Elear at first place.

Now I prefer listening these at home then my IEM...

I tried to take elear go on a plane... hahaha.. no enjoyment, since all sound enter...

Pairing with DX221Mk2 and Abnormalz Cable 2.5TRRS... really i find my cup of tea... Warm with Mid Centric side...

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #5,859 of 6,742
20191221_101942.jpg
Just chill with DX229...
great combo...

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #5,860 of 6,742
20191228_072900.jpg

DARK & Authority...
PAngled Pad, 4 strand 23 AWG OCC Silver Copper Litz cable, and DX220 with Mod AMP8EX FE edition....

Other things,
Bought a sheep skin pad with diameter 110 mm, was not compatible with Elear, anyone know what is the ideal diameter size for elear?

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #5,864 of 6,742
Just got my new Elear from FedEx today...so far I am very impressed. They were factory refurbished and they looked brand new.

Sound. I haven't had the time I need to have any opinion other than a first impression, but WOW. They are very dynamic and clean sounding.

These are a steal at $400. Now I just need to order some Dekoni pads.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #5,865 of 6,742
Now is in too this setup....

DX220 via optical cable - > Topping D30 - > AMP A30 (Burson V5i Dual Opamp mod) - > Elear...

more power = more dynamic is damn true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back