Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #5,416 of 6,742
Picked up a pair of Elear today, enjoying them. Heard the bass clipping already, but it's not something you get at normal listening levels. The SHP-9500s do something kind of similar with their rattly bass (modding reduces it but still). First impressions of these headphones are very fun, big bass, big soundstage, but still good clarity and tonality. Good at rock & decent at edm. The Clear or Utopia didn't improve enough to warrant their prices. Will also be comparing these against the other horse in the stable, the Z1R. Oh, and the comfort and build are mint!
Congrats and enjoy. Interesting that you think it has a big soundstage. I find it’s more intimate than some headphones, although the Audio-gd R-28 improves it remarkably. Look forward to that comparison with the Z1R.

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #5,417 of 6,742
Listening setup: Spotify Premium -> Modi 2U -> Valhalla 2/Magni 3 -> Focal Elear
I mostly listen to Electronic but also tested with some classical and rock.

Upgraded to Focal Elear from HD6xx (Have also owned DT 990 PRo, Philips X2HR)

Definitely an upgrade from any of the previous headphones I have owned. Although the Valhalla 2/HD6xx synergy is really good and that combo is quite remarkable for the price, the Elear adds a lot of very noticeable improvements. The sub-bass comes to life on the Elear and has more dynamic/punch. There is a lot more resolution, clarity, and presence in the highs. The mids on the Elear are less pronounced than the HD6xx, but I wouldn't describe as recessed. Overall quite linear to my ears.

Very comfortable to wear and I don't notice any of the creaking sound from the headband that many people talk about.

On the Magni 3 the Elear is an even bigger upgrade from the HD6xx than on the Valhalla 2. Where the Val2/HD6xx sound "great" and the Val2/Elear sound "excellent," the Magni3/HD6xx sound "good" and the Magni3/Elear still sound "great."

Overall the Focal Elear is, IMO, a very worthwhile purchase and I am extremely pleased with them. :)

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #5,418 of 6,742
I agree the Elear's are a great sounding hp certainly one of my favorites..enjoy

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #5,419 of 6,742
Listening setup: Spotify Premium -> Modi 2U -> Valhalla 2/Magni 3 -> Focal Elear
I mostly listen to Electronic but also tested with some classical and rock.

Upgraded to Focal Elear from HD6xx (Have also owned DT 990 PRo, Philips X2HR)

Definitely an upgrade from any of the previous headphones I have owned. Although the Valhalla 2/HD6xx synergy is really good and that combo is quite remarkable for the price, the Elear adds a lot of very noticeable improvements. The sub-bass comes to life on the Elear and has more dynamic/punch. There is a lot more resolution, clarity, and presence in the highs. The mids on the Elear are less pronounced than the HD6xx, but I wouldn't describe as recessed. Overall quite linear to my ears.

Very comfortable to wear and I don't notice any of the creaking sound from the headband that many people talk about.

On the Magni 3 the Elear is an even bigger upgrade from the HD6xx than on the Valhalla 2. Where the Val2/HD6xx sound "great" and the Val2/Elear sound "excellent," the Magni3/HD6xx sound "good" and the Magni3/Elear still sound "great."

Overall the Focal Elear is, IMO, a very worthwhile purchase and I am extremely pleased with them. :)
Nice early impressions. The Elear is very much a 6xx upgrade in every way - even though 6xx die hards will insist otherwise. You should try pad rolling with a pair of @DekoniAudio fenestrated sheepskin pads of you want even more refinement.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #5,420 of 6,742
Sep 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #5,421 of 6,742
After dithering for a while I'm getting a replacement set of Elear; the rattling in the right earcup was starting to annoy me. When I shake them gently there's definitely something loose rattling around in there, and while it isn't really audible while listening, it can't be doing them any good.

So I'll have a new Elear and a Clear coming this weekend. Woo hoo!

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #5,422 of 6,742
Just got my hands on the Elex pads. During prelimanry short test Elex pads mostly deal with Elears mid bass, excluding the sub bass and Elears now famous dip. So What does it bring to the table as whole, the 'phone becomes much more versatile. You can listen to some jazzy swingy vocalist tunes without that mid bass breathing down your neck while becoming too boomy quite to often. Since the dip is not apparent, more information and balance in the mid lower high section is at headphone disposal. Read the complaints here how highs can be thin sounding. Must admit that the highs ca sound a bit silky defined but thin which was different from production to production and not a permanent resident of the tonality, now with lower highs it's almost not apparent.

What was a bit of a surprise for me is that the electronic genres are now more acceptable.
Since there is no boosted/hopping mid bass the sub freq are more apparent/defined and as such are more in line with this kind of music style.

Still, Elear with typical hard rock bull crap production style (slight rise in mids when it is needed) is just mental. I cant remember when was the last time I had so much fun with this kind of style:

Psycho groupie cocaine crazy
Psycho groupie coke,
Makes you high, makes you hide,
Do you really want to think and stop,

I've listened to the same Elears highlight albums 'till now (fresh Elear user here, exploring has just begun), but Elex just doesn't come close to the same level of Elears insanity.

Since I'm encouraged with successful pad changing experience and what it brings as an option, next stop is the Dekoni fenestered for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #5,423 of 6,742
Just got my ..
e.
Those all sound like good improvements, much of your complaints are similar to my own. The bass is too much and can ruin the experience for a lot of styles. Would like to know ultimately whether to get elex or dekoni pads though if others are able to offer comparisons before the massdrop ends (unless there's another place to buy the elex pads afterwards). Also does comfort change at all?

What do you mean by "highlight albums" and what "hard rock" specifically are you enjoying on these?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #5,425 of 6,742
Can't do a video, but it's pretty easy. They pull straight out. Just take hold of the pad at one end and pull away from the yoke, and it comes right off. I'm not sure how sturdy those plastic pins are, so I wouldn't recommend swapping pads too often, but so far I've had no difficulties with them.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #5,426 of 6,742
Those all sound like good improvements, much of your complaints are similar to my own. The bass is too much and can ruin the experience for a lot of styles. Would like to know ultimately whether to get elex or dekoni pads though if others are able to offer comparisons before the massdrop ends (unless there's another place to buy the elex pads afterwards). Also does comfort change at all?

What do you mean by "highlight albums" and what "hard rock" specifically are you enjoying on these?
By highlight albums I was referring to a few hard rock albums that are suited to Elears signature. It's obvious that one of them is System of a Down Toxicity, Rage Against Self-titled, Faith no More King for a Day, Tool 10000 Days, Black Label Society Catacombs..., Gozu Revival etc.

I didn't have any comfort issues with original pads but Elex pads do feel much softer.

Can anyone make a video of how to extract the pads from the Elear? Anyway, I still didn't receive my Elex pads, I will wait patiently =)
When you take the pads off you shouldn't yank the pads cloth. Stick your fingers behind the plastic rings and go around until the pads are off. The drivers will be safe since they are protected with metal mesh.

There are few videos on YouTube, I just didn't have the patience to watch them trough.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #5,428 of 6,742
Well, the right channel of my Elear suddenly stopped working. There were no signs of earlier problems and they eren't dropped. I sent an email to my dealer, asked him to arrange for repair. I purchased them 2 years ago, 1.5 year ago Focal replaced them due to creaking headband. The replacement unit's headband started to creak within a few weeks, at that point I gave up on this issue and learnt to live with it.

Any advice on the repair? I'm afraid it won't be cheap...

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #5,429 of 6,742
Well, the right channel of my Elear suddenly stopped working. There were no signs of earlier problems and they eren't dropped. I sent an email to my dealer, asked him to arrange for repair. I purchased them 2 years ago, 1.5 year ago Focal replaced them due to creaking headband. The replacement unit's headband started to creak within a few weeks, at that point I gave up on this issue and learnt to live with it.

Oh man, I’m sorry to hear that!

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #5,430 of 6,742

You may want to speak to your local dealer. Otherwise from what I’ve read, buying a good condition used pair is often cheaper than a Focal repair. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back